RedWhiteNBoltAction

which 1911 do you swear by ?

Hey folks,

i recently got into target and plate shooting. I got my hands on a Springfield 1911 9mm on range the other day and really loved the feel . So , needless to say, im looking

to pick one up . before i do , i would like to ask opinions on people who own all kinds of 1911's and 1911a1's. Like the title says, which one do you swear by? of your

experiences , which brand have you had the least problems with and lasted the longest? Of course,i would imagine price matters a bit , but yea , let the conversations

begin

:hopechange2sp6nv4-1:

****Edit*** thank you for the responses so far, keep em coming. i foregot to add something . I need an ambidextrous safetey . can those be put on the model you own ?

I love my Colt Series 70 1911. A mate of mine has the Springfield GI model in stainless steel which also has a great feel.

On a more budget-conscious note, I was impressed by the Rock Island 1911s I saw at Sarco Inc in Union. About $400 new.

Swear on for what? Home Defense? Plinking? Competition race gun?

If for home defense... I dont... I have an hk p30 for that.

For competition, my gun of choice is the Smith Wesson Pro series. They come in 9mm and 45acp. You are getting a more refined 1911, with a crisp 3.5lb trigger and a few upgrades. If you can have one built, do that. Other GREAT choices... STI Spartan, Magnum Research Desert Eagle (BUL M5 just rebadged for America).

Kimbers, I have seen some good ones, but I have seen more fail.

If it is for target shooting/plinking, nothing wrong with a Taurus 1911.

I like the S&W pro series 1911s, but I hate the external extractor. To me it looks funny on a 1911. I had a Springfield Loaded in 9 mm. It was very particular about ammo. It would not feed 115 grain even after two trips back to the factory. It would only feed 147 grain reliably. Take a look at www.stiguns.com. I think you'll find an affordable 9mm 1911 there. They are a top notch company.

I like the S&W pro series 1911s, but I hate the external extractor. To me it looks funny on a 1911. I had a Springfield Loaded in 9 mm. It was very particular about ammo. It would not feed 115 grain even after two trips back to the factory. It would only feed 147 grain reliably. Take a look at www.stiguns.com. I think you'll find an affordable 9mm 1911 there. They are a top notch company.

STI Spartan. =)

Hey Brother,

I've been carrying a Para Ordnance P14.45 LDA Limited off duty for a few years now, it's got a few thousand rounds through it over that time and continues to be completely reliable.

100_0647-1.jpg

I have a Para Ordnance PDA in .45 waiting at the FFL for me, as well...Hopefully, it will be as reliable as it's big brother.

LDAPOCatalog.jpg

Respectfully,

Harry

Kimber... Their customer service is also good to go

Old Kimber... maybe... new kimbers? I have seen more kimber breakdowns at matches and at the range than any other 1911's. Not to say they are not good guns, but I would not trust one in a match. the more and more I hang around and shoot competitions, the more I realize why manufacturers send out guns to their sponsored shooters to test out.... you will not go through any more rounds in a variety of settings than USPSA/IDPA. Between training and event, you will shoot 500 rounds a week without trying too hard. This past Sunday, was the first time I had gun "issues", and now know what I have to do. Mag would not drop free after a certain string, and on a few occasions, gun would not go into battery. I suspect because it was not cleaned in two weeks since the last match and a few range trips. :icon_e_biggrin:

If you want a reliable home defense gun, that you dont have to worry about cleaning, feeding, etc, get a Glock or an Hk if your budget permits... if you want a good 1911 style gun... then look at them.

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Having said that, I own a ParaUSA GI Expert which is on the way lower end that is a tack driver and has been 100% reliable with lots of different and cheap 45 ammo.

Kimber... Their customer service is also good to go

+1 I've got several thousand rounds thru my Kimber 1911, never had one hiccup, not one FTF, or FTE, nothing.. shot all kinds of ammo thru it.. now, I'm not doing competitions with it, but it's been flawless.

Old Kimber... maybe... new kimbers? I have seen more kimber breakdowns at matches and at the range than any other 1911's. Not to say they are not good guns, but I would not trust one in a match. the more and more I hang around and shoot competitions, the more I realize why manufacturers send out guns to their sponsored shooters to test out.... you will not go through any more rounds in a variety of settings than USPSA/IDPA. Between training and event, you will shoot 500 rounds a week without trying too hard. This past Sunday, was the first time I had gun "issues", and now know what I have to do. Mag would not drop free after a certain string, and on a few occasions, gun would not go into battery. I suspect because it was not cleaned in two weeks since the last match and a few range trips. :icon_e_biggrin:

If you want a reliable home defense gun, that you dont have to worry about cleaning, feeding, etc, get a Glock or an Hk if your budget permits... if you want a good 1911 style gun... then look at them.

Agreed. If you want an hd or war gun, there are plenty reputable brands... Glock, hk, sw mp as you mentioned.

OP wanted 1911 opinions though, so they may just want one for that. Sti, Springfield, kimber, are all fairly reputable in the category with honorable mentions going out to sigg and sw.

Hi, Can't speak for the other 1911's but have had my stainless Springfield loaded 45 for about 4 years.

It eats anything including my assorted reloads and has been 100% reliable. Great handgun and feels great in the hand.

Hi, Can't speak for the other 1911's but have had my stainless Springfield loaded 45 for about 4 years.

It eats anything including my assorted reloads and has been 100% reliable. Great handgun and feels great in the hand.

I've got a Colt Gold Cup that is great for range use - Just has a great feel to it.

I also have a Kimber Pro Carry II that I use for CCW outside NJ, and it's the home defense gun. For some reason, it just feels a little nicer in my hand, but the grips are a little softer. Both are great pistols.

I have had my amt hardballer for 20 years never any issues, 1st two rounds the slide jammed, the diffrent angles and being on the move changes alot and i imagine the amount of ammo being fired in one sesion also has an effect, here is a gun that has never had any issues even ran very well during the cocealed carry course and low and behold show up at this shoot and it puts the whammy on you..

so do not expect a gun used for target practice working well at one of these events..not saying it will not but good odds it may have a hiccup..

• Like 1

I have had my amt hardballer for 20 years never any issues, 1st two rounds the slide jammed, the diffrent angles and being on the move changes alot and i imagine the amount of ammo being fired in one sesion also has an effect, here is a gun that has never had any issues even ran very well during the cocealed carry course and low and behold show up at this shoot and it puts the whammy on you..

so do not expect a gun used for target practice working well at one of these events..not saying it will not but good odds it may have a hiccup..

and here I was wondering why you were shooting a broken gun? =)

+1 I've got several thousand rounds thru my Kimber 1911, never had one hiccup, not one FTF, or FTE, nothing.. shot all kinds of ammo thru it.. now, I'm not doing competitions with it, but it's been flawless.

+2. I have also shot several thousand rounds through my Kinber without a problem. I have shot Wolf, CCI Blazer, Bobs' dad's reloads from 15 years ago and high end match ammo. The Kimber has shot it all and done so quite accurately.

Kimber FTW!

If you are on a budget, I would recommend a STI Spartan in 9mm. You can pick one up with some tuning done to it from several places. I recommend the following 2; Dawson Precision http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ or Freedom Gunworks http://www.freedomgunworks.com/. here is a link to an example of FGW can do on a Spartan. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112550 Some people have found issues with magazines for a 1911 in 9mm, but it appears that it has been corrected by using Wilson mags. A 45acp model will run you the same amount of money, but ammo will cost more to buy or reload. If you have more to spend, I would consider a STI Trojan. STI has a great reputation because they stand behind their products 100% and it is the most widely used brand in action shooting. I personally own a STI Trojan in 45acp, and I have easily shot 20k rounds through it since 2003. I have used it for plinking, USPSA, 2X4 shoots, Bullseye, etc. I honestly don't clean as much as I should, but the gun still shoots with layers of gunk in it. The gun still shoots darts and will eat anything I feed it. Currently it is mostly lead semi wadcutters.

A friend of mine swears by his Springfield Armory 1911's. I've shot them and there great feeling. But he has done a lot of work to them. My Taurus 1911 is just as good as any stock 1911. Still haven't had a single jam. I'm a little over a 1000 rounds into it. I've shot regular ball ammo, Hollow points, +P rounds.

Guest schutzen-jager

my own creation - essex arms frame , 1911 ithaca slide , federal ordnance barrel , + misc. military + commercial parts - it's the one on the right - built 25yrs ago + has never once skipped a beat in over 7000 rds. Picture090.jpg

I only have one 1911 so I can't compare it to others. It's a Springfield Trophy Match in .45ACP. It has been 100% reliable, very accurate, with about 1400 rounds through it. No problems at all. I shoot mostly reload ball, lead round nose and semi-wadcutters. It does have very aggresive stippling in the grip, but it doesn't bother me.

I may pick up a 4" model in the future and would look at Springfield again.

Guest schutzen-jager

to the above, thanks for the responses. that makes me feel better about a springfield . to jager , how much money did you put into customizing your ithaca 1911?

like i said it was done 25 years ago - essex frame $42.00 from sarco - barrel $29.00 from federal ordnance - slide + misc 1911 parts $15.00 at columbus flea market - the one to the left of it is done on springfield armory nm frame + brazilian slide , fired less than 50 rds. -