hheat

Hello from Brick, First gun suggestions

Ooops, i meant to post this in the "welcome" part of the forum! :icon_redface:

Hello everybody,

My name is Ken I'm 22 years old, just graduated college, looking to purchase my first firearm, and want to exercise my 2nd amendment right!

I have been shooting for a couple of years now and have taken classes at my local range for firearms safety. I really wanted to apply for my FID card as soon as i turned 18 but i never really got around to doing it. Just last week i applied for my FID card at my local police department and went to the private finger printing facility to have my prints taken (boy do they make it a challenge haha). I applied for both an FID card and a handgun permit.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (I'm clearly a newbie) but i need some suggestions about my first gun which is defiantly going to be a handgun. I have talked to some friends and many suggest a Glock .40 cal due to their durability and the fact they are easy to take apart and clean. My neighbor basically demands that i purchase a glock for my first gun, hes says they can basically fire "dry". My brother owns a glock and i really dont like the way the gun shoots or feels in my hand. I have shot many different hand guns and my favorites are a Beretta .40 and a 1911 .45 . I love how comfortable the Beretta is and i have always loved 1911's (everything about them).

So my question to you guys is, what would you suggest for a first hand gun. Please, any suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and my budget is about a thousand dollars.

Thanks alot and i look forward to gaining more knowledge from this forum

Ken

Ooops, i meant to post this in the "welcome" part of the forum! :icon_redface:

Hello everybody,

My name is Ken I'm 22 years old, just graduated college, looking to purchase my first firearm, and want to exercise my 2nd amendment right!

I have been shooting for a couple of years now and have taken classes at my local range for firearms safety. I really wanted to apply for my FID card as soon as i turned 18 but i never really got around to doing it. Just last week i applied for my FID card at my local police department and went to the private finger printing facility to have my prints taken (boy do they make it a challenge haha). I applied for both an FID card and a handgun permit.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (I'm clearly a newbie) but i need some suggestions about my first gun which is defiantly going to be a handgun. I have talked to some friends and many suggest a Glock .40 cal due to their durability and the fact they are easy to take apart and clean. My neighbor basically demands that i purchase a glock for my first gun, hes says they can basically fire "dry". My brother owns a glock and i really dont like the way the gun shoots or feels in my hand. I have shot many different hand guns and my favorites are a Beretta .40 and a 1911 .45 . I love how comfortable the Beretta is and i have always loved 1911's (everything about them).

So my question to you guys is, what would you suggest for a first hand gun. Please, any suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and my budget is about a thousand dollars.

Thanks alot and i look forward to gaining more knowledge from this forum

Ken

Welcome Ken.

This one is simple. You already answered it yourself.

Either a 1911 or the Beretta.

Those should be your 1st 2 guns.

Welcome.

A good 1911 will run between $500 and $1000 before NICS & Tax. A decent one will cost at least $1000. A great one will run $2000 plus.

A Beretta 96 is a well built first gun for about $600 new.

welcome to the forum. If you dont like the way the glock shoots, stay away from them.

XD's, Beretta's, Sigs, 1911's, Smith Wesson M&P's are all great guns. 9mm, 40, or 45.

keep in mind, you will want to pick up a 22lr as well. Cheap practice.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Another thing that i have to consider is the price of ammo. .45 is usually the most expensive but im not that stingy. In the next week im gonna try out a few more guns and see what i like the best. Thanks again for the responses

What has been previosly stated try a bunch and buy what feels comfortable. Ergonomics is everything. Forget cdaliber because the gun that fits your hand best may be a 9MM M&P or a 1911 45ACP. You wont know until you try. Meet us at Shore Shot Tue nights and feel free to ask for a particular gun to be brought for you to try. We are here to help you spend your cash.:icon_e_biggrin: We are a friendly group who would like to help you out.

Welcome to the forum from Toms River. You should go to Shore Shot and try out all the guns you are thinking of buying. Since you are already set on the caliber, you can rent one and shoot it some, then go trade it for the next one on your list until you find one that feel right for you. We shoot there on Tuesday nights usually (but anytime is a good time to go shooting!)

I Am running the European version of the 75-P01, same gun just labeled CZ-75D. I know the CZ line is less popular than some of the other 9's out there but they are a great sidearm and I think they are definitely worth a look. I have a few friends who love their Sigs and Glocks as well. Being from Brick I recommend heading over to my home range at Shore Shot in Lakewood and running the whole rental wall to see what fits, the last guy I sent there was hell bent on a Gen 4 Glock and left the proud owner of a new Sig P229 after trying some of the rental models out

I'm partial to the CZs. The CZ75B or the CZ75 SP-01 are two solid 9mms.

Welcome to the forum

I can only echo the value is renting different ones, or shooting some friends different guns.

Also, buy what you like and what you feel comfortable with. It is yours and you do have to put the money out for it so be happy with what you get.

What he said, and good to have you here KEN!

another Ken? wow

Yeah, it can only mean good things when the Kens start assembling all in one place.

Hey Ken, You need to find the gun that fits and shoots well for you. There is a very basic primer here.

I'm partial to the CZs. The CZ75B or the CZ75 SP-01 are two solid 9mms.

+1

CZ's are meaty and heavy with large grips. Very comfortable for large hands and super accurate. The also come in .40 and are not as expensive as most quality 1911's.