DevsAdvocate

New range in West Paterson/Woodland Park?

OK..... I NEED to know this before my # is up for a Shongum membership :locomotive:

We will be opening up in Morris county. The estimated time frame is Sept/oct. This is all based on timely inspections and getting our CO. All very much out of our hands. So we can only estimate a possible date at this point. Once we get closer in Aug/Sept we will be able to get a better feel for an exact date.

Happy Father's Day to all...in response to the question about discounts etc...we definitely plan on having discounts apply to local pro-gun groups like ANJRPC, and possibly the NJGF...and appreciate all the input and feedback. The plan is to be as pro-active with our client base as possible and look to all of you to help us design the ultimate experience at RTSP...Whether its leagues, competition shooting, group and individual training etc...the feedback we get will drive our decisions on what to offer to the public. So keep the ideas coming, as we plan on working on the day to day operating strategies throughout the summer, prior to our fall opening...be well!

I was hoping for USPSA matches but I thought that would be too much to ask for. If you want to host USPSA matches, count me in. I am an RO and I put on an introduction to USPSA matches at Shongum. One thing to consider, you have to schedule any matches so there are no conflicts with other nearby matches.

A range in my area would be soooo sweet. I already told the wife I am joining. Okay...the wife said I could join.

i'm guessing parsippany... or maybe morristown. the farthest would probably be rockaway.

I'm a commercial real estate appraiser and I live in Parsippany. Let's review the clues:

- Close to 280, 80 and 287

- In Morris County

- The building has space for nine ports and the lot has room for expansion.

My analysis:

- It has to be an industrial or retail building.

- Given the surplus on the market, it is an existing building rather than new construction.

- It would not be in a retail strip center or multi-tenanted industrial buildng since neighboring unit

occupants would freak. Therefore, it would be a free-standing building.

- Given it has only nine ports, it would be under 5,000 square feet.

- The town has to be flexible and what tax ratables so they would accept a gun range.

- A gun range is a distination so it would not be on a major retail corridor such as Route 10 or 46 unless it

was one of the less desirable sections. But my guess is a secondary road or industrial area. Industrial

area would be good since there would be no residential neighbors to complain about noise.

The towns that fit are Parsippany, Hanover, East Hanover, Morris Plains and Montville. Morristown is unlikely as they did not mention Route 24. While I live in Parsippany and hope it's here, most of the building inspectors are real pains. My guess is Morris Plains. I think they have some old industrial buildings that no one wants. An industrial building with low ceilings could be bought or leased on the cheap.

I'm a commercial real estate appraiser and I live in Parsippany. Let's review the clues:

- Close to 280, 80 and 287

- In Morris County

- The building has space for nine ports and the lot has room for expansion.

My analysis:

- It has to be an industrial or retail building.

- Given the surplus on the market, it is an existing building rather than new construction.

- It would not be in a retail strip center or multi-tenanted industrial buildng since neighboring unit

occupants would freak. Therefore, it would be a free-standing building.

- Given it has only nine ports, it would be under 5,000 square feet.

- The town has to be flexible and what tax ratables so they would accept a gun range.

- A gun range is a distination so it would not be on a major retail corridor such as Route 10 or 46 unless it

was one of the less desirable sections. But my guess is a secondary road or industrial area. Industrial

area would be good since there would be no residential neighbors to complain about noise.

The towns that fit are Parsippany, Hanover, East Hanover, Morris Plains and Montville. Morristown is unlikely as they did not mention Route 24. While I live in Parsippany and hope it's here, most of the building inspectors are real pains. My guess is Morris Plains. I think they have some old industrial buildings that no one wants. An industrial building with low ceilings could be bought or leased on the cheap.

I am in Parsippany too, and the inspector was ok, it was the zoning board and rules that killed me. I had to wait 5 months and reduce the size of my pool 4 feet to get it approved. I was trying to think of industrial buildings off Entin Road, but they are mostly office buildings. East Hanover had a few but they have been knocked down recently, still quite a few off 10 thou.

I am in Parsippany too, and the inspector was ok, it was the zoning board and rules that killed me. I had to wait 5 months and reduce the size of my pool 4 feet to get it approved. I was trying to think of industrial buildings off Entin Road, but they are mostly office buildings. East Hanover had a few but they have been knocked down recently, still quite a few off 10 thou.

Yeah. I was thinking along Algonquin Parkway. Lots of vacant space there.

Yeah. I was thinking along Algonquin Parkway. Lots of vacant space there.

We actually tried along Algonquin with a couple buildings...but couldn't find the right space...It has been a two year process to get all the pieces to fit..which i guess is why not everyone/anyone opens up a range...

I truly hope you guys are as enthusiastic in coming to the new facility once open as you are in this thread...we're gonna need a nice loyal customer base!

FYI - Loved your realtor assessment, well done...just a tad off, but very well thought out! :)

We actually tried along Algonquin with a couple buildings...but couldn't find the right space...It has been a two year process to get all the pieces to fit..which i guess is why not everyone/anyone opens up a range...

I truly hope you guys are as enthusiastic in coming to the new facility once open as you are in this thread...we're gonna need a nice loyal customer base!

FYI - Loved your realtor assessment, well done...just a tad off, but very well thought out! :)

I shouldn't think you will have to worry about a loyal customer base from here with what I have seen. I can tell you for one thing, you will have me signing up for a membership as long as it is p riced right. I can't stand driving 50 minutes for the range. Anywhere near the major highways you said will be good for me

You'll do well, I was just driving home and saw Anthony's car, I am sure he would prefer to give some classes closer to home. I would wager that if you have a coffee pot, you are going to have a problem getting rid of us.

that sucks morris county is still a big hike for me! wishing it was west paterson and to be honest i friggin miss the hoboken range

that sucks morris county is still a big hike for me! wishing it was west paterson and to be honest i friggin miss the hoboken range

Ha, I still have their business card somewhere.

Ha, I still have their business card somewhere.

ya after they tore it down its still nothing ness but rubble and gated in.. pisses me off

Hmm

Boonton fits the bill too...

Don't know how much vacancy there is in Boonton, maybe along Divison street. I would think Boonton would be friendly to the idea, they were bending over backwards to get Walmart in there.

Other thoughts:

Hanover - Horsehill/Saddle rd area or south Jefferson rd area

Parsippany - Entin or Eastmans rd or Lackawanna rd, don't remember if there's much vacancy in the Pomeroy rd area

Montville - Chapin rd area

Morris Plains - Hanover ave near the American rd

East Hanover - Murray rd or Merry ln

We need LATE HOURS at the range!! :good: The BH c loses at 8pm and it sucks for most of us. I like the 24hrs of CJRPC, tho im not a member....(yet).

Jeez, it was hard enough to get the wife to let me open a range - now ya want me to work 24 hrs too!! LOL Can you say DIVORCE!

We have not set the range hours just yet...we are going to play it by ear and see how many show up and at what hours...so we can determine whether it will be an 8pm, 9pm or 10pm close on certain nights

Jeez, it was hard enough to get the wife to let me open a range - now ya want me to work 24 hrs too!! LOL Can you say DIVORCE!

We have not set the range hours just yet...we are going to play it by ear and see how many show up and at what hours...so we can determine whether it will be an 8pm, 9pm or 10pm close on certain nights

You have enough space above the store to build an apartment :sarcastichand:

So....... you gonna allow rifles? Big calibers? :D

Yes, range is rated up to .50 BMG...there will be two specific lanes that will be for rifle...especially until we get to know our clientele and who will be baffle killers! :)

LOL....just remind wifey about the future $$$$!

im keeping my fingers crossed for a late opening. :good:

Hey guys! We put up a poll on our facebook page to see what city everyone thinks the range will be built. You inspired us to have a little fun while we wait to get our CO... check it out and while you are there, like our page and send some of your friends our way! We will be using facebook and Twitter to get everyone up to date with our progress!

Thanks!

http://apps.facebook.com/opinionpolls/poll.php?pid=ABQ-n_IMCHE