PK90

Are you ready for the unexpected?

Are you ready for the unexpected?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How do you keep your firearm accesible?

• My gun is loaded (chamber and/or mag) and ready to rock & roll.
    • My gun is loaded (chamber and/or mag), but in safe.
    • My gun is unloaded without being locked, but at the ready.
    • My gun is unloaded and locked up.

After realizing that a lot of people do not keep any firearm ready to defend themselves, I am not sure what percentage of gunowners do not either. Hence, this poll.

Enlighten me please. BUT, do not turn this into a bashing thread. Everybody has their own opinion and reasons.

This really is Lynn's nightstand drawer (cleaned up for the photo). My M&P (and light and cellphone) is on the other side of the bed.

XDinDrawer.jpg

When we're anywhere else in the house, Lynn either carries her little pink revolver, or it's within her reach. I sometimes keep something near me when we're in different rooms, sometimes I depend on her catlike reflexes to defend me.

When we leave the house, everything goes in the safe... when we come back, it all comes back out.

What's funny is that you are saying 'My gun' in the singular.

I think its possible for someone to keep a self defense handgun loaded, but to keep their sporting rifles and shotguns unloaded. So there should be another button for the 'mixed' condition.

Gun is unloaded, sitting next to a loaded mag in a quick-open safe next to my bed. Commuting to college from home, parents rules. I've practiced a bit in the dark to see if I could get to it with any sense of expediency. Takes me about 4.5 seconds to unlock it, and chamber a round. While not perfect, it's the best option I have at the moment.

I keep my stuff separated, but my ammo is only a few feet from my rifle. I don't really have a "self defense gun" since I only have a .22lr, and a 8mm Mauser, but I figure since the ammo is close enough, I can stripper load it pretty fast.

I keep everything unloaded and locked up. The chances of an accident occuring due to keeping a loaded firearm within reach are far greater than the chances I will need to use it to defend myself. It is good to be prepared for the unexpected, I just feel the risks arent worth it unless you live in a really high crime area.

I wish you didn't put that last choice up there as I wanted this to be a legit pole.

Multiple shotguns in patrol car method. (Full tube, empty chamber, safety on)

The majority of my guns are in my "man cave". They are in safes, unloaded but have charged magazines close by. I have a pistol and a shotgun stored in my bedroom, these have charged magazines but empty chambers and are secured but easily accessable by adults. Both the HD guns have lights and the safties off. They need to be grabbed and the actions need to be worked then they are ready to "rock and roll".

My own opinion: I want to be able to easily get to my guns and make them ready in as little time as possible. I also want them in a location where my son can't get to them and even if he does not have the strength to make them operable. As he grows the guns location and condition will change to stay ahead of his abilities.

Should **** go really go bad, I can get to the man cave and make the AR's ready in very little time.

Springs don't wear out from constant compression. They wear out from constant compression/decompression.

quote from http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_home_defense.htm

Autoloading pistols are more likely to jam than a revolver, particularly if fired through cloth, say from under a bathrobe in a sudden emergency, from an unusual orientation (upside down for instance), or with a "limp wrist" (insecure hold). They have one other very significant drawback: they are magazine fed and the spring in a loaded magazine is tightly compressed. Magazines should be rotated on, at least, a monthly basis. The spring in a loaded magazine left unattended for an extended period of time may take a "set" and then lack the pressure to reliably feed cartridges, causing a jam.

Multiple loaded (in the pipe) arms throughout the house some with safeties on, some not. Rifles are primarily for pest control.

Been practicing getting those crickets with the 9MM like in that Dodge Sportmans Pickup truck ad. Need more spackle though.

if am in the mood..

I keep my Sig on the bed whilst I'm sitting at the desk in front of the bed.

and I will keep the mag in and loaded, none in the chamber.. gun has no external safety..

at night it sits ON TOP of the nightstand, next to my clock radio and water bottle.. within arms sweep.. still none in chamber but with mag inserted..

Al

• Like 1