tony357

prepping for hurricane..

Just returned from an outdoor wedding in Union county. No big deal just rain.

So on the way back I check and find that all roads in Union are for emergency vehicles

only. I had absolutely no trouble driving home. I really beginning to get pissed at all the time and money

our this S**thole state is wasting keeping us "Safe".

Fairly heavy rain in Secaucus now although not windy (yet). Our house is 15 feet from the Hackensack river and the maintenance men have been round and put sandbags across our front door. Now we just wait....

:-)

TheWombat

We're getting some rain, and a little wind. I'm not too worried about the rain or wind, just worried about living 2 miles from Trenton if the power goes out for an extended period of time. Not so much myself, but going to work and leaving my dad by himself. Storm doors are locked to prevent them from blowing off in the wind, that's about the only preparation we took :superstition:

Had a tornado watch earlier until about 10 pm winds were real bad with torrential rain here in Camden county.Got pretty hairy for a few but thankfully it expired without incedent.seeing a bunch of warnings for above Burlinton county now.Hope everyone stays safe.

Pretty much all of NJ is under a tornado watch right now

TORNADO WATCH

in effect until Sunday, Aug 28, 5:00 AM

NJ . NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC BERGEN BURLINGTON CAMDEN CAPE MAY CUMBERLAND ESSEX GLOUCESTER HUDSON HUNTERDON MERCER MIDDLESEX MONMOUTH MORRIS OCEAN PASSAIC SALEM SOMERSET UNION

We've had power outage since around 1am. Winds have gotten stronger but so far no worse than a storm. The Hackensack river is higher than normal but still has another 1 to 2 feet before it breaks it's banks. It's a tidal river and high tide is around 09:15 this morning. I don't expect the water to rise higher unless there is a storm surge.

:-)

TheWombat

I agree. all that hype and nothing too crazy. I do have a lot of crap wrong in my town tho.

My local lake is completely flooding the main st intown. It is also flooding several major roads that can get you around town also. Trees down etc.... It sucks to be in my town right now.

We have a sump pump and it's been going non stop since at least 6am. Unfortunately, my basement is partially finished, with the finished part being in the middle of the basement. The sump hole and pump are in the room to the left of the finished part of the basement, but the seeping water is coming in from the right side of the finished part of the basement. So, while the sump pump is doing a great job of dealing with the water that's coming into it, it's not doing anything to help with the water that's seeping in thru the walls in the basement on the other side. :facepalm:

This is the first time in the 4 years I've been here that we've gotten an ounce of water in the basement, so it's not something I ever thought about till this morning. Luckily I have a wet/dry shop vac that's doing a decent job of getting the water... but, just as we're done sucking it up and emptying out the bucket, the water fills back in and we need to start the whole process all over again.

We have a sump pump and it's been going non stop since at least 6am. Unfortunately, my basement is partially finished, with the finished part being in the middle of the basement. The sump hole and pump are in the room to the left of the finished part of the basement, but the seeping water is coming in from the right side of the finished part of the basement. So, while the sump pump is doing a great job of dealing with the water that's coming into it, it's not doing anything to help with the water that's seeping in thru the walls in the basement on the other side. :facepalm:

This is the first time in the 4 years I've been here that we've gotten an ounce of water in the basement, so it's not something I ever thought about till this morning. Luckily I have a wet/dry shop vac that's doing a decent job of getting the water... but, just as we're done sucking it up and emptying out the bucket, the water fills back in and we need to start the whole process all over again.

Unfortunately, I do not think there is anything you can do from inside the basement to stop the water. You probably have to remediate it from outside the foundation by either waterproofing the foundation or improving the grade.

• Like 1

In my area, the damage looked bad when I trotted around late last night, but I awoke to a windy, somewhat rainy morning... but it hardly even looked like it had rained all that much.

Did some exploring, and the flooding in the flood-prone spots are actually pretty severe-- fortunately my neighborhood sits on a sort of hill. Took a look at Carnegie Lake, plus the small lakes and ponds and streams around that area, quite swollen. Really the worst part is that the majority of the access points to my town, and neighboring towns, sit on low lying areas-- and became ad hoc ponds. Took me a good hour to just find a route that wasn't flooded out to get home.

And as soon as I got back, got a call from the township saying that the public water for the township is contaminated and should be avoided from use until further notice (this is Plainsboro).

So, aside from having to boil some water, things are looking pretty solid on my front. If the bodies of water around me swell just a bit more (or had), I would be singing a far different tune.

At this time just keep up with what you are doing, the only thing you may be able to do is direct water away from that side of the house further away for now.

After this is over, I would put another sub-pump hole on that side, normally if you have 2 they are at opposite corners of the basement. Like you said first time, but this isn't normal weather but you do have to plan for it when you finish a basement.

I have just the normal exterior waterproofing on all the foundation below grade, I did put and epoxy floor covering on the whole floor and also Dry-lock on all the walls. It had worked very well and wasn't that costly to do at all, the only downside to doing it on a older house is the prep work.

Harry

• Like 1

Hey folks, just a few dollars of damage at my hose and I'll take care of that myself when the weather breaks enough to get a ladder out.

I do see a lot of comments that it wasn't the storm we all were told it was going to be. Be very thankful that this is the case. I do say the planning was very appropriate for the forecast and don't forget even though you may have had none or limited problems, there may be some of us who have lost a lot and rather than calling it media hype, we should be see how from here need help.

I'm in Sayreville and will check back through the day to see if anyone around me need some help.

Harry

You need a zero clearance pump. It sits a hair above the floor. Mine pumps pretty quick.So I have to unplug it once in a while. After that check the outside grade on your property and dump some fill or regrade so that water is redirected around the foundation.Any holes or cracks should be caulked any large holes should be cemented and then tared. If water is always an issue in a hole or its wet.moist all the time use hydraulic cement

You will be amazed how many homes have improper grading.

• Like 2

For a situation such as yours, more "leakage" than "flooding," and you have a sump pump, do yourself a favor and buy a few bags of sand and benseal (bentonite chips). Use the benseal if you need to keep a couple millimeters of water away from stuff or guide it to the sump. Keep in mind, it can get extremely messy. I wouldn't use it on carpet and don't walk on it and track it around.

Obviously you need a more comprehensive solution for the long term. Mark the cracks where the water is coming in. You certainly CAN seal it. Just probably not while it's happening.

• Like 1