tony357

prepping for hurricane..

I do see a lot of comments that it wasn't the storm we all were told it was going to be. Be very thankful that this is the case.

Harry

I've been seeing a ton of comments in regards to how this was all blown out of proportion, but the reality is, just because you didnt get hit hard doesn't mean others didn't. Tons of people in NJ got hit really bad, and that is the reality. Just like everyone predicted, the flooding was very bad. Pompton lake dam is dumping water into Pompton lakes right now, they are under water. Im grateful the storm didnt bring the damaging winds to my area and my thoughts go out to those dealing with flooding.

Update: just took a drive around town and Holy-crap! my street made out OK, but there are trees down everywhere!! the power is out for half the town, and i just herd neighboring towns shut down the power and might be out all week due to the flooding and trees.

For a situation such as yours, more "leakage" than "flooding," and you have a sump pump, do yourself a favor and buy a few bags of sand and benseal (bentonite chips). Use the benseal if you need to keep a couple millimeters of water away from stuff or guide it to the sump. Keep in mind, it can get extremely messy. I wouldn't use it on carpet and don't walk on it and track it around.

Obviously you need a more comprehensive solution for the long term. Mark the cracks where the water is coming in. You certainly CAN seal it. Just probably not while it's happening.

they do have "wet/underwater" drying sealant, but i'm not sure how it compares to the regular stuff, or if it holds up while drying under pressure.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I definitely have a lot to think about to prevent this from happening again.

A little bit after I posted, the water seepage was greatly reduced. Only had to use the shop vac a couple more times. Turned on a dehumidifier and gonna leave that running overnight and see how things are in the morning.

I've been seeing a ton of comments in regards to how this was all blown out of proportion, but the reality is, just because you didnt get hit hard doesn't mean others didn't. Tons of people in NJ got hit really bad, and that is the reality. Just like everyone predicted, the flooding was very bad. Pompton lake dam is dumping water into Pompton lakes right now, they are under water. Im grateful the storm didnt bring the damaging winds to my area and my thoughts go out to those dealing with flooding.

Update: just took a drive around town and Holy-crap! my street made out OK, but there are trees down everywhere!! the power is out for half the town, and i just herd neighboring towns shut down the power and might be out all week due to the flooding and trees.

I'm on the other side of town from you. The lower part is hammered even parts that are not considered flood zone are under water.Passed a few houses where the river was running out the doors and windows!! We still have power and were basically untouched thank God.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I definitely have a lot to think about to prevent this from happening again.

A little bit after I posted, the water seepage was greatly reduced. Only had to use the shop vac a couple more times. Turned on a dehumidifier and gonna leave that running overnight and see how things are in the morning.

As other have said, first check the grading of the soil/paved surfaces around your foundation and make sure they are pitched away. Then seal all cracks in your foundation with Fastplug or equivalent. Waterproofing the walls inside and out is always a good idea. If all these don't solve your problems, you may need to put drainage on the outside walls of you foundation. This is expensive and disruptive because you will need to rip out anything that is in the way (shrubs, patios, stairs, etc.), this drainage system would be then run out away from the house to a point on your property that is lower than your basement floor or tied into your sump pump if not possible.

• Like 1

I'm on the other side of town from you. The lower part is hammered even parts that are not considered flood zone are under water.Passed a few houses where the river was running out the doors and windows!! We still have power and were basically untouched thank God.

I tried to get down to the river and couldn't even get passed all the downed trees. I took it as a sign to turn back.. tons of trees sitting on power lines and accidents just waiting to happen.

As other have said, first check the grading of the soil/paved surfaces around your foundation and make sure they are pitched away. Then seal all cracks in your foundation with Fastplug or equivalent. Waterproofing the walls inside and out is always a good idea. If all these don't solve your problems, you may need to put drainage on the outside walls of you foundation. This is expensive and disruptive because you will need to rip out anything that is in the way (shrubs, patios, stairs, etc.), this drainage system would be then run out away from the house to a point on your property that is lower than your basement floor or tied into your sump pump if not possible.

Your roof leaders (gutters) don't run to a point on your property that is lower than your basement floor. And yet, some people seem to think they might serve a purpose.

Your septic leachfield doesn't run anywhere near the depth of your basement floor.

Your roof leaders (gutters) don't run to a point on your property that is lower than your basement floor. And yet, some people seem to think they might serve a purpose.

Your septic leachfield doesn't run anywhere near the depth of your basement floor.

If your trying to remove ground water away from your foundation walls, gravity is your best friend - it doesn't stop working when the power goes out. Your gutter leaders, (which should always be run away from your house to minimize adding to ground water near your foundation) are surface water, and will run off even if not below the grade of your basement floor.

Two different problems, with two different solutions.

If your trying to remove ground water away from your foundation walls, gravity is your best friend - it doesn't stop working when the power goes out. Your gutter leaders, (which should always be run away from your house to minimize adding to ground water near your foundation) are surface water, and will run off even if not below the grade of your basement floor.

Two different problems, with two different solutions.

Same problem, same solution, although I consider problems and solutions as site-specific. There is no reason to say a French Drain or other inteceptor trench must discharge to a location on your property that is lower in elevation than the bottom of your basement floor. I would guess 99% don't.

Same problem, same solution, although I consider problems and solutions as site-specific. There is no reason to say a French Drain or other inteceptor trench must discharge to a location on your property that is lower in elevation than the bottom of your basement floor. I would guess 99% don't.

Except that doing what Halb suggests results in drainage 100% of the time as he mentioned. Gravity has not failed yet. I am considering extending my sump to daylight because I have the slope on site to do it and I will then never have to worry again about wth my sump pump is or is not doing.

Agreed with Halb.

First line of defense is foundation drain, along with some form of damproofing on the exterior of the foundation. We spec the houses out this way, not going to say if the contractor built it that way.

Storm overblown, but in reality, all the flooding.

Didn't people read the flood disclosure when buying their home? Or buying next to a creek/river, didn't think it would ever crest?

Especially after the recent floods, one would think people would be prepared for things.

Its like buying a house in Las Vegas and complaining that it is over 100 degrees outside.

Didn't people read the flood disclosure when buying their home? Or buying next to a creek/river, didn't think it would ever crest?

Especially after the recent floods, one would think people would be prepared for things.

Its like buying a house in Las Vegas and complaining that it is over 100 degrees outside.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, as I stated earlier, in the 4 years I've been here, I've never had a drop of water in the basement. I'm not in a flood zone, not near a creak/river and the flood disclosure was clear. None of the houses on my block flood (to my knowledge.)

I was talking to my next door neighbor this morning, who's been in his house for about 10 years now. He doesn't even own a sump pump cuz he says he's never had problems with water in his house - today he did. Of the 5 houses around me (one to the left, one to the right, and 3 across the street) 3 had water problems today. 4 if you include mine.

I get what you're saying, but sometimes it's not quite as simple as "hey stupid - it's your own fault for living where you do"

I've hopefully learned my lesson and will be better prepared next time.

I can't speak for anyone else, but, as I stated earlier, in the 4 years I've been here, I've never had a drop of water in the basement. I'm not in a flood zone, not near a creak/river and the flood disclosure was clear. None of the houses on my block flood (to my knowledge.)

I was talking to my next door neighbor this morning, who's been in his house for about 10 years now. He doesn't even own a sump pump cuz he says he's never had problems with water in his house - today he did. Of the 5 houses around me (one to the left, one to the right, and 3 across the street) 3 had water problems today. 4 if you include mine.

I get what you're saying, but sometimes it's not quite as simple as "hey stupid - it's your own fault for living where you do"

I've hopefully learned my lesson and will be better prepared next time.

But those are the more seldom cases. In any case though, you have a 200k, 300k, 400k, 500k+ house, doesn't it make sense to invest 2k and get a few sump pumps? Especially if you have a basement?

We learned that lesson about 4 years ago, basement flooded, even though it hadn't the past few years before that. Add the fact that there is a very high water table, it was prudent.

Low and behold, this year, my sister in law's house now, not a drop of water in the basement this year, a few neighbors got flooded.

But beyond that, for those that know their house is at risk... and not do anything.

I grew up in the city - what do I know about basements and sump pumps? :p I'm learning as I go - and I learned quite a bit today.

my cousins house growing up flooded twice in 20 years, never a drop other than those two times..they were just below the top of a hill in randolph nj and alongside s drop off on the other side..

this was great property for sledding..

when the conditions permit it is going to happen..

Btw, is ray ray alive? :superstition: Bayonne alive?

Yeah he texted me saying he was out of the popped rice cakes I introduced him to.

Everything was fine at my GF's house in Linden. At my house, the power was still on, but my cable went out. Still out as of this morning so I didn't have any tv/internet. Good thing I have some blu rays to keep me occupied!

Morristown is all jacked up. The JCP&L substation down the street from me (Ridgedale Ave/Abbet Ave) was completely flooded. The water receded pretty quickly, but they gotta dry all the stuff before checking it out and flipping the switch.

No power until then.

For all those saying the storm was over-hyped... it was only in your specific areas. My house was untouched, and never lost power, but some weren't so lucky...

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011/08/princeton_twp_volunteer_rescue.html

To hell with all the idiots who just HAD to go out driving in a hurricane.

To all that think it was hyped please make time to attend the funerals of those who died and explain to those family it was hyped up and no big deal. They can drive people around who lost their cars. They can help friends clean flooded basements. Plenty of ways to use that energy they have from being disappointed.

• Like 1

Yeah, this storm was definitely not over-hyped... just the effects were seen more in areas where they weren't expected. It appears that the storm surge didn't harm much in NJ along the coasts (not to say there wasn't damage though), but the flooding is sure as hell becoming a problem for inland communities and some rivers are still rising as the waters drain into them.

For all those saying the storm was over-hyped... it was only in your specific areas. My house was untouched, and never lost power, but some weren't so lucky...

I know some folks who were caught in the early parts of the storm where there was flash flooding. When it's night time and your driving on a poorly lit road, you may not see the water quick enough to stop before entering it.

However, if you woke up at home on Sunday when it was obvious that there was flooding and road closures, AND still went out for a drive... well that's just dumb and dangerous.

I know some folks who were caught in the early parts of the storm where there was flash flooding. When it's night time and your driving on a poorly lit road, you may not see the water quick enough to stop before entering it.

However, if you woke up at home on Sunday when it was obvious that there was flooding and road closures, AND still went out for a drive... well that's just dumb and dangerous.

People should have realized this was coming long before Saturday night. When the rain starts, it's time to hunker down and ride it out.

I lost power around 5 pm on Sunday and, given the workload of my electric provider in areas that have been out of power longer than that, I don't expect it to be back before the end of today. Sitting here at work and reviewing the preperations I did & did not make, I give myself an F for storm prep based on the following:

-Having to rely on my cellphone in order to download the instruction manual to the battery backup system for the sump pump, which was installed by my home's previous owner. I honsetly didn't know if it was or was not working properly until after a lot of stressfull time spent trying to interpret the alarms. I'm a short sighted nitwit for not taking the time to learn such a critical system inside & out well in advance of such a significant weather pattern. For the time being, despite an incessant alarm that won't stop beeping until the power is back on, it appears to keeping my basement dry.

-Owning 2 "tactical" flashlights, a Streamlight TLR1 & 3 maglights, but no lantern or ambient light devices that I can simply set on the sink and use as a light source while shaving or reading a book.

-Failing to double check my pre-storm to-do list. If I had, I would have realized I never did get around to making sure the fence to my back yard was securely hinged closed. I'm lucky it didn't completely snap off in the wind.

-Having only a single battery operated radio and having to scavange the AAA batteries it required from random remotes because I only buy AA & CR123s in big batches.

-Not getting through more of my perishable food.

-Being less careful about using my cell phone & draining the charge on Sunday because I started to relax and assume that I would maintain power throughout the duration of the story.

And the update we all knew was coming...

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011/08/princeton_first-aider_dies.html

I lost power around 5 pm on Sunday and, given the workload of my electric provider in areas that have been out of power longer than that, I don't expect it to be back before the end of today. Sitting here at work and reviewing the preperations I did & did not make, I give myself an F for storm prep based on the following:

-Having to rely on my cellphone in order to download the instruction manual to the battery backup system for the sump pump, which was installed by my home's previous owner. I honsetly didn't know if it was or was not working properly until after a lot of stressfull time spent trying to interpret the alarms. I'm a short sighted nitwit for not taking the time to learn such a critical system inside & out well in advance of such a significant weather pattern. For the time being, despite an incessant alarm that won't stop beeping until the power is back on, it appears to keeping my basement dry.

-Owning 2 "tactical" flashlights, a Streamlight TLR1 & 3 maglights, but no lantern or ambient light devices that I can simply set on the sink and use as a light source while shaving or reading a book.

-Failing to double check my pre-storm to-do list. If I had, I would have realized I never did get around to making sure the fence to my back yard was securely hinged closed. I'm lucky it didn't completely snap off in the wind.

-Having only a single battery operated radio and having to scavange the AAA batteries it required from random remotes because I only buy AA & CR123s in big batches.

-Not getting through more of my perishable food.

-Being less careful about using my cell phone & draining the charge on Sunday because I started to relax and assume that I would maintain power throughout the duration of the story.

Now is the time to do what you need to be ready for the next time, use this as a real learning experience and not one to just talk about I should have done this or that and not act on it like many will.

Harry