Glock Guy

SHTF Disater, Goto Gun and Why?

What kind of a disaster? That's what it all depends on.

Good luck walking around with a chest rig, 20mags, a rifle, and a pistol to go grocery shopping with.

Most disasters won't change regular day-to-day life that much. You will have to conceal a pistol or something of the sort when you travel, MAYBE allowing a long gun to be concealed in your car. It all depends if police are still enforcing during this SHTF scenario.

If I'm home during a disaester, I likely wouldn't relocate if I didn't have to, so basically every shotgun/rifle/handgun I own would potentially be in play. If I had to leave, my Glock 19, if anything. As RF points out, I wouldn't want the attention that goes with being visibly armed.

That said, when I do the math of how much time I spend at work & how much time I spend at home, chances are I'll have to settle for my stapler...

If we have a **** hits the fan disaster, what will be your goto gun and why? I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, just curious what everyone is thinking.

Just something to think about and don't need to answer. Who are your "go to" groups? Do you have food, a plan, meet up place and 20-25 gallons of fuel to get you 200 miles or so. Route plan if bridges are closed, neighbors you can trust, medicine, etc.

Guns can only get you so far and are necessary, but a good plan is equally important.

For me it would be my Cav Arms AR and my XD pistol. My wife would get the Ruger's - a P94 and PC4 - both 40 and use the same magazines. I'd throw a 12 gauge in the car too. I have lots of magazines and ammo on hand for th above mentioned firearms. All have been used in competition and abused a little on the range and have proven their reliability. If The need arises all can be easily hidden in a frame pack or small duffel or underneith clothing.

What kind of a disaster? That's what it all depends on.

Good luck walking around with a chest rig, 20mags, a rifle, and a pistol to go grocery shopping with.

Most disasters won't change regular day-to-day life that much. You will have to conceal a pistol or something of the sort when you travel, MAYBE allowing a long gun to be concealed in your car. It all depends if police are still enforcing during this SHTF scenario.

If day to day life is not altered that much then I dont consider it a SHTF disaster. When I think of SHTF I think of events like Katrina and in fact I know a few that toted full battle rattle and set up perimiters amongst their blocks/group of homes. They went unscathed compared to their neighbors close by.

I own a variety of firearms so I have thought about which ones I'd choose as my primary defensive firearms. It would be either my HK p2000 in 40sw or my Sig P226 on my hip, Kahr PM9 in my pocket holster as backup, and mini-14 and Rem 870 loaded and standing by. Depending on the severity of the situation, my first step would be to reach out to my friends an neighbors to organize a defense of our block, making my other firearms available if the situation were truly desparate. I think people don't place enough emphasis on community in making their defense plans. If you shelter in place in a suburban setting and are the only one prepared and armed on your block, seems to me you will have a tough time securing your home on your own. If you coordinate with neighbors up and down the block and behind you and cooperate in defending each other you'd stand a much better chance.

9 MM IWB (easy to conceal and 15 round mags), 45 Shoulder holster (best stopping power for the size and I can still conceal it), 12 gauge on a sling (7 + 1) and plenty of ammo.

Depending on the SHTF scenario, I'd agree staying in place and organizing a perimeter would go a long way to protecting those inside. It is also important to have plans to move out should the need arise.

How many of you know if your neighbors on your block are armed? I'd doubt many are.

:you:

My ar-15 with high capacity mags, my sig .40 on my waste, my 9 year old has his 20 gauge mossberg pump and my wife holding my daughter. I already have a go to place picked out. I know of a cement building with steel doors, no windows that has a food supply, a full bar and a case of m1's

Only one, it would be a Glock 19 GEN 4. If I was in a fight, it would be a Glock 19, Mossberg 12 gauge, and a Saiga .223 (or maybe a .308). If funds allowed, maybe an FNH FNP-45 USG or an M1A Scout Squad w/ an Aimpoint Comp ML sight. In a survival scenario, it would probably be a stainless Ruger Blackhawk with a 5" barrel and extra cylinder (.357/.38/9mm) and a scoped Ruger 10/.22 or Marlin 70 "Papoose".

Good point about getting the neighbors involved, but I am the only one on my block who is into firearms right now, I do have a few that are starting to get interested and have offered to bring them to the range, not sure if they will become avid shooters but at least will have shown enough interest to get something for HD.

As far as me being ready, over a dozen guns at the ready, Wife and Daughter at the ready and not to say a round count, but I'd say definitely over a 1000 Pounds of ammo total, That includes 22, 380, 9, 40, 30-30, 7.62X54R, 410, 20 and 12 and a Dillon 650 to bang out more. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Good point about getting the neighbors involved, but I am the only one on my block who is into firearms right now, I do have a few that are starting to get interested and have offered to bring them to the range, not sure if they will become avid shooters but at least will have shown enough interest to get something for HD.

As far as me being ready, over a dozen guns at the ready, Wife and Daughter at the ready and not to say a round count, but I'd say definitely over a 1000 Pounds of ammo total, That includes 22, 380, 9, 40, 30-30, 7.62X54R, 410, 20 and 12 and a Dillon 650 to bang out more. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry

Let me know if any houses become available near you. :superblue:

What are you doing.... that changes the situation greatly.

Natural disaster that you are riding out by hunkering down and guarding your home / neighborhood?

In that scenario, Mossberg with sidearm of choice while out and about.

Inside house will be M1A with ammo in a high position to provide support.

Zombie/Alien/Riot infestion that forces you from your home base using a vehicle?

All...

Glock 20 in easy to acquire and deploy holster. 6 mags loaded with 15rds each.

.22 pistol for stealthy Zombie eradication.

Holing up in the wilds... last family on earth?

.22 rifle with scope for hunting

sidearm

good knife or two

• Like 1

"Holing up in the wilds... last family on earth?

.22 rifle with scope for hunting"

You will starve to death just eating rabbit!!!!!

If you are able to trail it, a deer can be killed with a .22LR rifle if your survival depended upon it. You could also kill a deer or other larger game with a good .357 Magnum.

If you are able to trail it, a deer can be killed with a .22LR rifle if your survival depended upon it. You could also kill a deer or other larger game with a good .357 Magnum.

Chances are it'll search for water to die in as the bullets and resulting infection/fever will kill it.

Mosin Nagant. Reasons: I have tons of ammo for it. Super reliable. Simple operation. Easy to clean and maintain. I have 4 of them. They are simple to use so I could hand one to somebody with no experience and they could use it fairly efficiently. Bayonet just in case. Also, a boat oar. lol

Mosin-Nagant-Arm-5-people.jpg

Eh, a true SHTF moment in NJ, I'm going to rely more on my wits and a good pair of shoes than any firearm. Whether you lock down the house, become a criminal and try to overtake another property, etc., good luck fending off the other 8 million people.

HK concealed and AR in the trunk.

Most of us will probably be more concerned about where the next meal is coming from though.

An IMF adviser said ""In The Absence Of A Credible Plan We Will Have A Global Financial Meltdown In Two To Three Weeks"

This means, there will be a bank run if no plan is forth coming, meaning we'll all blow through our available cash and that will be the proverbial, that.

http://www.businessinsider.com/imf-advisor-could-see-eurozone-meltdown-in-2-or-3-weeks-2011-10

Europe will go to bed sick and the US will wake up with a raging hangover and empty banks. We live in interesting times.

"If they can not address [the financial crisis] in a credible way I believe within perhaps 2 to 3 weeks we will have a meltdown in sovereign debt which will produce a meltdown across the European banking system.

We are not just talking about a relatively small Belgian bank, we are talking about the largest banks in the world, the largest banks in Germany, the largest banks in France, that will spread to the United Kingdom, it will spread everywhere because the global financial system is so interconnected. All those banks are counterparties to every significant bank in the United States, and in Britain, and in Japan, and around the world.

This would be a crisis that would be in my view more serious than the crisis in 2008.... What we don't know the state of credit default swaps held by banks against sovereign debt and against European banks, nor do we know the state of CDS held by British banks, nor are we certain of how certain the exposure of British banks is to the Ireland sovereign debt problems."