Wavecaster

Bad Ammo Brands?

I was recently stopped from using s&b at bullethole (very nicely and tactfully I will add) The reason given was the s&b rounds were not consistant loads and one blew up on the hands of a shooter.

Anyone else hear anything like this?

Bullet Hole is incorrect on this issue. S&B (along with Wolf, Tula, and CCI Aluminum) is safe ammo.

Be that as it may, its no longer accepted there

It's because they sell the scrap for money. And if they have to sort out the steel and aluminum stuff then it takes time. So they just ban it and call it unsafe.

• Like 1

It's because they sell the scrap for money. And if they have to sort out the steel and aluminum stuff then it takes time. So they just ban it and call it unsafe.

They were brass cases. I know they wouldn't want me using steel if its brass there shouldn't be an issue.

Bullet Hole is incorrect on this issue. S&B (along with Wolf, Tula, and CCI Aluminum) is safe ammo.

Ray,

How can you state this unequivocally? I have heard of several KB's with S&B, probably the most dramatic in a Ruger GP100 - which, as we all know, are built like a tank. Pardon me for linking to another forum, but this was from March of this year...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112524

And this was the second within a month (but I can't find the link to the first). Google Sellior & Bellot, KB and you'll read of quite a few incidents.

Yes, I know that all manufacturers have problems from time to time, but most will try to resolve why something happened and take appropriate steps (recall) - I don't believe that I have ever seen a recall notice for S&B.

You immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was steel-cased ammo. To my knowledge, I don't think S&B makes steel-cased ammo. Without even knowing you are willing to blindly endorse this ammo.

I can't tell you it's bad or dangerous. Nor do I have first hand knowledge of any incidents. What I do have is the power of choice, and with what I have seen and read, I choose to use a brand other than Sellior & Bellot. You have the same power, so feel free to use it since you seem convinced of its safety.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

Ok - you can confirm this with guys on this forum as well as all over the interwebs:

Remington bulk box Golden Bullets (22LR) are total crap. The ammo is "dirty" (it leaves behind an inordinate amount of crap in your gun) and there are quite a few rounds in a box that don't have any primer in the rim therefore the rounds won't go off. This is not "friend of a friend" stuff - I have experienced this personally, with two boxes. I will not buy it any longer. It's not worth saving a dollar or two on this stuff over Federal or Winchester bulk packs.

Bullet Hole is incorrect on this issue. S&B... is safe ammo.

I don't understand either - when I bought my CZ, the documentation indicated the factory used S&B ammo to zero and function check. I've used it and have not had any problems. I'm not saying anyone should or should not use it - I don't have an opinion.

Just personally, I have not read a satisfactory explanation as to why S&B is banned.

I don't understand either - when I bought my CZ, the documentation indicated the factory used S&B ammo to zero and function check. I've used it and have not had any problems. I'm not saying anyone should or should not use it - I don't have an opinion.

Just personally, I have not read a satisfactory explanation as to why S&B is banned.

What I was told was that it literally blew up in someones hand. Whether or not that is satisfactory is subjective I guess.

The only major ammo problems that I've seen are with reloads. You can argue the S&B is junk ammo but I've shoot tons of steel cased, aluminum cased, and S&B and wouldn't hesitate to use any of it in my handguns. I wouldn't trust someones reloads unless it was Ricks (Sigman). He's the best on here in regards to knowledge and quality reloads.

The only major ammo problems that I've seen are with reloads. You can argue the S&B is junk ammo but I've shoot tons of steel cased, aluminum cased, and S&B and wouldn't hesitate to use any of it in my handguns. I wouldn't trust someones reloads unless it was Ricks (Sigman). He's the best on here in regards to knowledge and quality reloads.

Agreed Ray Again! Shooting someone elses reloads(except in their gun) is like wearing someone elses underwear.

But, and I know Rick's reloads are good, saying you would only shoot Rick's reloads is a set-up to shoot other reloaders ammo. You crafty devil!!!!

I stay away from the steel cased $hit. As Maks has said alot of it has thin guilding metal and actually ends up running mild steel against your barrel instead of copper. NOT GOOD! Additionally steel cased in a sloppy chamber may work fine but you must be very careful.

S&B is brass ammo, and unless you are looking at the headstamp, it is very tough to tell it versus others.

Only other thing I can think of, some S&B ammo was steel core, which would damage the backstop.

S&B makes a copper washed, steel cased "Range safe" ammo. http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=ZY&prodID=ZYSBA00915&prodTitle=Sellier%20and%20Bellot%209mm%20Luger%20115%20gr%20FMJ%20Range%20Safe%2050/box

Sorry Bob, standing by my statement.

No need to apollogize to me Ray. I'm sure that there have been millions of rounds of S&B fired with no incidents. Just as I'm sure that the anecdotal evidence indicates there have been random KB's. What is disturbing about these is that they are random. It's not like a bad lot of powder, or one machine that is overcharging rounds consistently - it's that one round among thousands that gets a double charge and blows up a gun.

As I said, no need to apologize, you choose to shoot S&B and I choose not to - my guns, all of them, are too precsious to me to take that infintesimal chance.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

all I can say is that USAAmmo 115gr 9mm "new" ammo doesn't make minor PF :p

Nick Really? It doesn't make 1130fps consistantly? Bring up a sample if you like and we can run it accross the machine.

Though my chrono isn't "calibrated" but whose is...

No it was shooting 1020-1050 fps on the chrono they used. I think maybe the chrono was reading low because CCI Blazer aluminum out of the same gun (bcoops and I both used our Px4's) was reading the same.

I disagree. My loads were reading higher than the last time I chronoed by 1-2PF.

Yeah 4" barrel on the Px4. Not sure if the rotating barrel has anything to do with the muzzle velocity either.

I doubt the rotating barrel has any impact. But dependant on powder a 4" can loose 50fps over a 5".

You know I shoot a G34. Different velocities than I get out of my G19.

Yeah 4" barrel on the Px4. Not sure if the rotating barrel has anything to do with the muzzle velocity either.

I doubt the rotating barrel has any impact. But dependant on powder a 4" can loose 50fps over a 5".

You know I shoot a G34. Different velocities than I get out of my G19.

What I was told was that it literally blew up in someones hand. Whether or not that is satisfactory is subjective I guess.

and if someone happened to shoot the one in a billion round that winchester made that caused an explosion, theyd ban winchester too. if someone happened to have ONE bad remingtion, federal, PMC, etc, theyd ban them also. funny how they wont allow wolf to be shot, yet THEY SELL IT.

id much sooner believe that it was a freak round, or something wrong with the gun, rather then immediately blaming the ammo as a whole.

• Like 1

and if someone happened to shoot the one in a billion round that winchester made that caused an explosion, theyd ban winchester too. if someone happened to have ONE bad remingtion, federal, PMC, etc, theyd ban them also. funny how they wont allow wolf to be shot, yet THEY SELL IT.

id much sooner believe that it was a freak round, or something wrong with the gun, rather then immediately blaming the ammo as a whole.

+100

I had a 22LR Federal Bulk 525 pack round split a case in a revolver on me, I guess they should ban that ammo now.:facepalm:

By the way, powder burns take some time to go away, doesn't matter how much you scrub them.

While I agree with you, I don't know if this was the only isolated incident. The way the range officer talked to me about it, he made it seem like he encounter multiple issues, citing "inconstistant loads" as the reason for banning it.

Whether or not thats true is another issue.

Does anyone know if its banned at shore shot? I have to get rid of these somewhere lol.