hiker88

Something bit my steel plate

I have shot steel with the same gun with missed results I think there is a variance in the plates I shoot.. some if can get through.. and other plates stop it..

the hits on the center of the plate just cause a dimple. I think the two hits on the edge happened when the plate swung to one side and stayed there. i guess the edge was weak point.

I shot fragile this morning at the indoor range. It was alot of fun. But that ammo DOES fly back at ya. I got hit more often then when we shoot outside. Granted we were alot closer.

Also could be how the plates were cut. Steel plates cut with a torch can be soft around the edged.

Was just about to say that. The heat weakens the steels hardness. Ar400 and Ar500 steel it best served by cutting with a water jet.

Don't shoot steel with a rifle at 50yards or you will chew it up. Even AR500 with water cut edges from MGM, GT, and they other big guys will do that with rifle rounds at 50 yards. With normal ammo, and personally I haven't seen the steel jacketed stuff any more damage then normal jacketed ammo, through lots of matches both as a shooter and as an RO. Most targets are spec'ed for 100yards or more with rifle ammo.

Don't shoot steel with a rifle at 50yards or you will chew it up. Even AR500 with water cut edges from MGM, GT, and they other big guys will do that with rifle rounds at 50 yards. With normal ammo, and personally I haven't seen the steel jacketed stuff any more damage then normal jacketed ammo, through lots of matches both as a shooter and as an RO. Most targets are spec'ed for 100yards or more with rifle ammo.

Yeah, that too. I forgot to mention that you wanna move it out to 100 yards for rifles.

Yeah, that too. I forgot to mention that you wanna move it out to 100 yards for rifles.

thanks for the info guys... last time I brought it out to the 50 yd bay, my son and I were shooting 22 lr. I'll set it up at the 100 yd range next time for my AR.