LastShot

Cherry Ridge

I load either with A-Max or some sweet South African new old stock bullets that are thankfully non-magnetic. Even using A-Max bullets, I find my per shot costs less than most "surplus" ugly machine gun ammo. Reloading 50 BMG is so much fun. You have to buy everything bigger!

i have shot thousands of 50 there for 15 years prior to the ban and had no problems cause of ball projos.the maintenence or lack therof caused the problems there.now im forced to swage my own lead tip hunting projos or frangible projos that i otherwise wouldnt have gone to the time to make.still waiting for them to ok ball again cause i stocked up and then they banned em.

I just realized that the nut job in Cali mentioned in his manifesto that he has a .50 cal rifle.

Not good.

Do you really think he's running around with it, let alone ammo for it and sure would have a lot less rounds for it if he does.

My guess is, it back at home at his house of he has one in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only ammo restrictions are :NO TRACER,INCENDIARY OR ARMOR-PIERCING

this apply to all firearms

50 BMG has its own restrictions: You must check-in with the facility manager (or appointed person) for an ammo inspection and proficiency Test (for the first time firing)

50 BMG is currently only Thursdays after 1pm (from 300 yards)

In short:

You polymer tips are not a problem on your. 223/.556

I am looking for clarification on permissible rifle ammo. I am a new member and have been purchasing 8mm Mauser ammo. When I go to gun shows to look for ammo, I bring a magnet. Some rounds the magnet will attract to and some it will not. This, I believe indicates a steel penetrator. Much of the surplus ammo available attracts the magnet. It's also the least expensive. Am I correct in that ammo cannot be magnetic such as green tip 5.56 to be permissible at CR? I don't mean steel cased vs brass, I mean the projectile. Thanks.

If I remember correctly, after attending several briefings, no projectiles(any caliber) with paint on the tip of any color. Just in case.

You may take the suggestion of reloading, save a ton, better product. And at least for me, the larger callbers are much more equitable with time spent reloading vs. time spent firing those rounds. In the case of the 50, it may take me about the same time to produce a quality round in my basement as it does to take a shot with that round at the range.

But even considering some eccentricities with high power shooters, we still have a workable location to shoot near-mid-range

Thank you. I am just getting started with reloading and have been gathering supplies. I don't have a .50 but do shoot .223, .308., 8MM, as well as pistol rounds. Black tip is armor piercing and green tip is a steel penetrator if I understand correctly. I guess surplus European 8MM Mauser that attracts a magnet would be similar to the green tip. A steel penetrator designed to defeat a helmet, but not considered "armor piercing". Please correct me if i'm wrong on this. Thanks again.

Just want to mention an experience from last week. I had a jam that was severe enough that a rifle had to be "Mortared". RO Earl was there and we talked and I did what I had to do under is guidance. We talked every step of the way and he was great and understanding. No BS or anything.

Great hands-on RO and loads of common sense.

Just want to mention an experience from last week. I had a jam that was severe enough that a rifle had to be "Mortared". RO Earl was there and we talked and I did what I had to do under is guidance. We talked every step of the way and he was great and understanding. No BS or anything.

Great hands-on RO and loads of common sense.

Glad to hear of your good experience with Earl, as he is a friend of mine and a fellow black powder shooter. He is a walking encyclopedia of gun info and as such is a real asset to the Club. He takes his job seriously, and safety is always primary. He only busts balls for stupid SH!T, and he can always be counted upon for assistance when needed, as was your case Frank!

Dave

I want to go check out Benchrest seminar on Saturday. Can anyone talk to me about what to expect?

Been wanting to check it out for a few years now, but this is the first year the intro class doesnt conflict with my annual ski trip.

I want to go check out Benchrest seminar on Saturday. Can anyone talk to me about what to expect?

Been wanting to check it out for a few years now, but this is the first year the intro class doesnt conflict with my annual ski trip.

Its worth your time for sure. I went a couple years ago and may do it again this Saturday if i can get out of work. Bob White runs it and he has many years of experience in BR shooting. He had a couple of the top BR shooters in the country also talk that day. Very informative, and stuff you can use immediately with your rifle shooting regardless if you want to pursue BR or not.

I flipped through quite a few of the pages on this thread hoping to find the current memebership fee, but with no success. I also did not see it on their website. Can some one advise? Thank you.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.anjrpc.org/resource/resmgr/files/membership_form_2013.pdf

Thank you. That is cheap. Now that I have a shotgun and want to be able to shoot a slug beyond 25 yards I will likely join here. thx again.

join Old Bridge, you'll thank me later

Was up there this afternoon. Nice weather, despite the forecast. Hardly anyone there. The place is a delight during the week.

Any other NJGF folk there today?

(Is this the kind of stuff I would be posting on Facebook if I were a member?)

I suspect that new rule has something to do with bears. I was on the pistol range one day two years back when one walked out of the woods opposite of the firing line - where we all park. Everyone on the line had his back to the bear. Kinda surprising. Another member noticed it somehow and called a cease fire. The bear just walked towards the other edge of the parking area and wandered back into the woods along the left side of the range.

I usually take a break and have my lunch in the open passenger side front door of my car. I know it sounds nutty, but something about eating right on the line with all the gunpowder residue floating around just never felt 'right' to me...but walking just 30ft away is ok, lol!

new now...no eating or drinking on the line....what a bunch of b.s.

The signs and new rules are required by OSHA believe it or not, they are now regulating any range that has at least one employee. That is also an NRA rule for the past 100 years as well. Lead and food do not mix.

The signs and new rules are required by OSHA believe it or not, they are now regulating any range that has at least one employee. That is also an NRA rule for the past 100 years as well. Lead and food do not mix.

And there is a raccoon that is not shy and comes out during broad daylight to raid the garbage cans. I have seen him twice the past couple weeks I have been there. He was not more than 5 feet away from me at one point. More that people leave food scraps like that then the more him and his friends will come around. Pretty rare to see a raccoon in the daytime unless they are sick with rabies. Oh yeah, thats a health hazard too.

I remember shooting at Cherry Ridge back in the late 70's and early 80's.  Back then there wasn't even a range officer.  Many times my dad and I were the only ones at the range, and if there did happen to be someone there during the week odds are you know them from town.  Weekends did draw in a few out of towners.

I can't see them harassing you for that. Beings you need it to survive especially on hotter than hell days! They would def get the NJ salute from me.

I dare someone to approach me for drinking a bottle of water. Real badazz stuff there.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

So I started a new job and don't have a weekday to myself anymore.  So I'd only be able to shoot weekends and maybe evenings, after 6pm during the week.  I haven't joined yet, but with upcoming membership days I've been considering it.  Questions is, how packed does it get on weekends?  Thanks

So I started a new job and don't have a weekday to myself anymore.  So I'd only be able to shoot weekends and maybe evenings, after 6pm during the week.  I haven't joined yet, but with upcoming membership days I've been considering it.  Questions is, how packed does it get on weekends?  Thanks

It's best to get there early when it opens or later in the afternoon.  Most clear out after 2:30.

Joined today! 

That's how gun happiness looks: outdoor range with a lot of positions for all firearm types, no time limit and 50/100/200/300 for rifle. :)

Range officers were cautious (but not intrusive) for the first 10 minutes, watched me closely and than left me alone for next 4.5 hours. 

Love the place so far. 

[Only one complaint: who does orientation on Sunday at 9am? People partying Saturday night or going to a church Sunday morning...]

I think no eating/drinking goes to prevent lead poisoning. 

During the orientation it was stressed to take shower after range, wash hands after handling brass and avoid food on fire line for that reason. 

I had few bottles of water - no one bothered about it (I guess it's ok as long as container (bottle) is closed). 

Joined today! 

That's how gun happiness looks: outdoor range with a lot of positions for all firearm types, no time limit and 50/100/200/300 for rifle. :)

Range officers were cautious (but not intrusive) for the first 10 minutes, watched me closely and than left me alone for next 4.5 hours. 

Love the place so far. 

[Only one complaint: who does orientation on Sunday at 9am? People partying Saturday night or going to a church Sunday morning...]

I think no eating/drinking goes to prevent lead poisoning. 

During the orientation it was stressed to take shower after range, wash hands after handling brass and avoid food on fire line for that reason. 

I had few bottles of water - no one bothered about it (I guess it's ok as long as container (bottle) is closed).

just curious, was there any reference to the front gate?