NJdiverTony

The Beretta ARX-160: A possible game changer in the AR15 market

Wow, I want one of these!!!

http://www.guns.com/special-the-beretta-arx-160-a-possible-game-changer-in-the-ar15-market.html

We’ve covered some of the basics of the ARX-160 on Guns.com.  It looks like an impressive package.  The potential for this gun seems limitless. For example, changing out barrels has never been easier.  It takes a matter of seconds.  The benefits of this are easy enough to see:

Short barrels for close quarters combat

Long barrels for open terrain

Heavy barrels for increased accuracy at long distances

And a barrel with an integrated suppressor

Easy enough if you have an ample national defense budget, but what about the rest of us?

Yea, I've been lusting hardcore for this since the SHOT Show 2011 videos... ergonomically it is absolutely amazing, albeit that is from all the videos and images I've seen (though I'm sure it wouldn't disappoint in person).

I don't get the awesome-ness that surrounds this firearm? Did I miss something?

If it works as advertised, it seems to combine the best features of the ACR and the SCAR into one gun.

Last I read, the earliest this was coming to the civ market was 2014. If they can keep it in the $1500 range like the article says, then they'll probably sell a lot of them... if they pull a Magpul/Bushmaster and the price ends up being considerably higher, then they'll sit on shelves.

The ARX has some very interesting features, but the more I look at it, the more I'm having a hard time getting past the short and oversized handguard. Seems like it would be awkward to hold depending on your preferred shooting stance.

Dont get me wrong I like options. I think if I had the money I would buy one. It just seems to me like with these type of weapons, Military and Police acceptance drive the market. I remember when the 6.8 hit the market, we had guys going out to buy the AR's in 6.8 because that was what the military was going to switch to and they wanted one right away. Now they cant find ammo locally for it and if they do the $$$ is crazy.

I have had all the popular carbines that are really in demand now and sold them. I only regret one of them the Keltec Sub2000. I had the CX4 in 9mm the Hi-Point in 9mm and liked them but just didnt shoot them enough to justify the or sold them to get something else. Regrets, regrets.

Is it me, or does the American Firearms industry suck at coming up with new designs?

I mean... look at what the Europeans have put out in the last 20 years:

- Glock (which was the standard for striker-fired polymer pistols)

- Benelli Inertia Driven Shotguns (supposedly the most reliable and newest semi-auto shotgun design)

- FN SCAR (lightweight, much improved replacement over the AR-15)

- ARX-160 (same as above)

- FN FS2000

- HK G36

I feel like American companies either ripped off foreign designs (M&Ps ripped off Glock, SA just bought HS2000s) or rely on older designs that have been used for the last 50-60 years... (Remington 700, 870, Mossberg 500s, AR-15s, Ruger Mini-14s, M-14s, 1911s, etc.)

In fact... I would wager the two newest American designs to come out are:

- Barret .50 cal rifles

- The ACR

- KRISS SMG

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: Why does it seem that European firearms companies are willing to take more risks and advance their designs, while American companies 'stick to their guns'. Granted, I can see why after perfecting the 870 or Mossberg 500 that you'd stick with them after all these years.

BTW I suspect the SCAR is american as apple pie, seeing how FN is probably more american then belgian nowdays, their huge US manufacturing footprint and development.

I think the SCAR is partially built in Belgium and modded in the US for civilian sales... kinda like the Glock.

The manufacturing here thing for FN is probably more a 922r thing than anything else....

I read on FN-forum that they import them and convert to civilian... not quite sure how true it is... what's the 'made in XXX' stamp say on it?

Is it me, or does the American Firearms industry suck at coming up with new designs?

- Benelli Inertia Driven Shotguns (supposedly the most reliable and newest semi-auto shotgun design)

- FN FS2000

- HK G36

I feel like American companies either ripped off foreign designs (M&Ps ripped off Glock, SA just bought HS2000s) or rely on older designs that have been used for the last 50-60 years... (Remington 700, 870, Mossberg 500s, AR-15s, Ruger Mini-14s, M-14s, 1911s, etc.)

- Barret .50 cal rifles

- The ACR

- KRISS SMG

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: Why does it seem that European firearms companies are willing to take more risks and advance their designs, while American companies 'stick to their guns'. Granted, I can see why after perfecting the 870 or Mossberg 500 that you'd stick with them after all these years.

Because the US govt doesn't allow US based weapons manufacturers to sell to whoever has $$$. Tons of rules and export regulations on weapons from the US. Since most of the rest of the world is on some kind of "banned" list, there is nobody to sell to. So called "neutral" European nations are not bound to such things, hence when there is a market, there will be investment in new designs/weapons.

- FN FS2000

- HK G36

- Barret .50 cal rifles

- The ACR

- KRISS SMG

Let's see glock is more like 30 years old at this point, and the key innovative technology was ripped off from h&k. That innovation is closing in on being 40 years ago.

Benelli inertia drive. So reliable that if you want one that works with almost all ammo, you only need another thousand bucks work on your thousand dollar purchase. The fs2000 is flop that ripped off parts of the Stryker aug, another previous flop.

It's not like the US or Europe are moving at breakneck speeds in innovation. One could argue the robinson xcr is about as innovative as the scar, both are derivative of other platforms. If you wouldn't count the m&p, I wouldn't count either of them.

But for the us list, you have things like the boberg that's an way different, and kel tec has cranked out a lot of new and different in the last 15-20.

I think the main thing is that if a European company has a flop for police and military, the product is gone, and they have to come up with something that looks more different next opportunity because the customer is the same. In the domestic market, we have civilian buyers that can make a product successful, and can keep a good design lingering for decades on end even if the government moves on.

I would take one of those than just simply building ANOTHER AR... something modestly different other then just different colors/accessories. Being lefthanded.. the options already spec'd into the rifle makes it appealing to me. I can wait for one down the line, but I would love to have something like this in the arsenal .