Kaiser7

So how old are most people here anyway?

Age Range  

200 members have voted

1. 1. As of right now, how old are you?

but if I count past lives i'm 719, which included shooting muskets, single-shots, lever actions, bolt guns, full auto SBRs, and a few M2s in WWII and Korea.

26, shooting on my own for a bout 4 months now. When my dad was alive, we would go shooting all the time between (age 6-18)Started learning to shoot at age 10-11. Just picked up the hobby again after 8 years. So much fun, now I have my girlfriend joining me.

Well to help skeq the data some more. Age 42 have never shot. Working on Fidc now looking for second person as reference.

You won't skew the started shooting portion, as I can't count you since you've never shot. Oh, in case anyone is wondering, I'm doing the periodic talleys to make it easier on myself. I'm no statitician, so my results may very well be off, but they should be close.

Anyway, the Average age has gone up, again, to 39.7 years old (60 total responses). I should mention, if you said something like, "I'll be 26 in a few days" or whatever, I counted your age as 26, since, honestly, you're closer to that than 25.

As for the average age for user's first time shooting, that is now 22.3 years (41 responses). Again, I am surprised how many older people have only recently gotten into shooting. Their reasons for doing so would be interesting to hear. I imagine that a long time interest in firearms, pursuable once one has disposable income, is a major reason. Perhaps it is the spike in crime? These are all interesting things.

I should also mention, if people only gave a number in their post, and didn't indicate what it was, I assumed it to only be their current age, and not the age at which they started shooting. Furthermore, when given things like "Started at 7-8" I just took the lower age. I included BB guns in this talley as well since BB guns, along with .22s are, at least what I imagine, what most families would start their children shooting. Coming from a non-firearm household, I'm not sure of this, but I figured it was a reasonable assumption.

Perhaps if I have free time this week, I'll comb through the entire thread and re-talley. I just realized the method I've been using may not work right. Then again, I'll be the first to admit I suck at math XD.

Started shooting when I was 6 or 7. Dad used to take us to plink tin cans after Sunday church with an old WInchester 67A single-shot .22 on the edge of what was then Hackensack Water Company property just over the border in New York. On some weekends we'd watch the Pearl River Gun Club hold live pigeon shoots on the same grounds. We learned how to wingshoot there with a smoothbore Mossberg 42TR .22 shotgun and hand-thrown Mo-Skeet-O clays. (That area today is now a large industrial and corporate complex bordering Lake Tappan property.) Got my first "gun," a nice German-made pellet gun in 5th grade and my first .22 when I was in 6th grade. I got my first shotgun which was my grandfather's when I was in 8th grade. I still have the .22 and the shotgun.

That Mossberg 42TR was a neat little gun - not a great shotgun because of the limited round but unique.

targo40-2.jpg

I'll drop the median age since I'm 20. Been interested in guns since I was little. Still haven't shot any thing other than BB guns, but I do have a box of 7 shot itching to be fired.

Don't you live around the block from me? If I gotta take you to the range to do some shooting I will. Just put in for ammo.

23, been shooting since I was 10 or 11. Shotguns with my dad at Thunder Mountain, and .22 at Tenafly with my Boyscout troop.

Hadn't shot in nearly 10 years when I started shooting pistols last summer, and picked up my first pistol in September.

Don't you live around the block from me? If I gotta take you to the range to do some shooting I will. Just put in for ammo.

I've been trying to go out some where the past couple weeks, but every time I want to go something more important comes up.

A friend of mine is having a baby shower in a couple weeks and the guys are probably gonna get together to shoot on their farm then. But we should get some local guys together and go shoot sometime.