NicePants

Weaponry during a SHTF scenario

Alright guys, let's pretend for a second that the worst possible thing has happened and the supervolcano has erupted/the dead have arisen/Lautenberg has revealed his true form. Which weapons would you personally choose for your safety? Here are the stipulations:

1. You may have one long gun and one handgun

2. Money is no object

Personally, I'd go with a handgun chambered in 9mm and a long gun either in 5.56, or if I wanted something a little bigger, a Mosin Nagant just for the availability and cheapness of ammo. If I could have a dream gun though, it'd likely be a Medusa revolver, just so I could use pretty much anything in the 9mm range.

I would take a 12g pump shotgun and ideally a 9mm pistol. Ammo for both is fairly common and a shotgun works well in NJ for hunting (gotta eat) and 9mm ammo isn't too terrible weight wise.

It's actually hard to say for sure if this would be my definite plan. Bottom line is if I have to leave the bug in spot I will take the pistol and/or long gun I have the most ammo on hand for.

A similar question without stipulations is floating around on 1911 forum. Lots of comments flying!

Note: edited because the op did not completely load on tapatalk app till after I responded.

Rifle: Winchester 1894 in .30-30 (a rifle designed for the family who could only afford one rifle)

Pistol: 1911

If allowed a shotgun: add one Remmington or Mossberg with 4 barrels: tactical, rifled slugster w/ scope, heavy field (w/ 3 std chokes), and turkey.

Not overly worried about the Win94 and 1911 having specialty ammo requirements. In a true SHTF scenario, I will be eluding confrontation. The "firefight" scenario is for the movies.

Rifle- if money and legality were no issue I'd go with the honey badger. It's a .300 blackout surpressed compacted ar style rifle in select fire

Pistol- sig p226

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/20111022-180329.jpg

whatever I can get my hands on at the time

That's why I love ya man! That's the attitude! All the fancy BS I see doesn't matter unless you have the survival instinct.

I've been thinking about doing a group buy on GLOCK fighting knives and E-tools. What do you think Ray? Both are made well, not over priced and can get pretty dirty.

My quick answer (if only two)...

AR-15 in 5.56 w/ extra .22LR, 9mm, and 7.62x39 uppers.

Glock 23 w/ 9mm conversion barrel, .357 SIG conversion barrel, and AA .22LR conversion kit with TFO sights and plenty of assorted magazines, including G17 and G22 magazines.

I would still miss something for longer distances, though, such as a Remington 700, or preferably a Smith Industries custom M1A, or even a SA Scout Squad and a dedicated .22LR rifle would be missed as well, as well as a 12 gauge.

Probably my P226 9mm, for mag capacity and weight, though i wouldnt rule out a .45. Long gun would be a tough call, but it would depend on what the SHTF situation is...but a .22LR Marlin XT22, something. 223 like a M4 or my bolt action Savage, or a 12 ga of some sort...like my next purchase, which will be a Benelli Supernova.

Obviously id plan on something using the most common calibers, which all my current guns are chambered for (.22, 9mm, .45, 12ga, .223, 7.62x54r). Hopefully id have the ability to bring all or most of them, or at least arm trusted others with them.

Money is no object? I assume mag restrictions, and things of that nature go out the window when SHTF.

I'd probably go with an M14, or some variant (mini14, M14 soccom). I would have a heavy-hitting round, great accuracy and reliability, and the range to keep badguys (zombies, terrorists, whatever) away. The main cost for a mini-14 would be the magazines, but assuming I could get 30 rounders, that would be negated. An AR platform wouldn't be bad either due to abundance of spare parts, so that wouldn't be a bad choice either.

As for pistol, I'm not much of a handgun guy, but I'd be torn between some sort of revolver due to reliability, and the likelihood it would have a heavier round, or something like the 5-7. Not as sure if the 5-7 is as reliable, but it's got large magazines which give me plenty of opportunities to hit the target in an OH-SH-- scenario. Plus I'm a fan of the gun itself.

Piston-driven AR in 5.56. Unless money really isnt an issue I would like an ACR in 6.8, because 7.62x51 is too heavy to lug around in high capacity.

That was the only drawback I had with mine. Then again, I would likely try a SHTF survival situation that would require little confrontation if possible. In reality, I'd likely travel in a group, and have each member carry some arm, even if they're my guns. My .22 would be good due to wide ammo availability, and for hunting small game. Not to mention that even if it's a small round, in the event of a gun fight, having another gun is useful, even if it is a .22. The 8mm would likely serve a similar purpose, but be relegated mainly to hunting larger game, whereas the M14 (or AR, since that's what I'm building now) would be my "guard gun" primarily used for defense. This system (in my head at least) would help conserve ammo for where it is most useful.

. My .22 would be good due to wide ammo availability, and for hunting small game. Not to mention that even if it's a small round, in the event of a gun fight, having another gun is useful, even if it is a .22. The 8mm would likely serve a similar purpose, but be relegated mainly to hunting larger game, whereas the M14 (or AR, since that's what I'm building now) would be my "guard gun" primarily used for defense. This system (in my head at least) would help conserve ammo for where it is most useful.

I'm pretty sure there will be more small game to be found than the larger game that will be thinned out after the survivors start hunting in masses. Hence the 22LR is more appropriate & the ammo will last longer.

That's why I love ya man! That's the attitude! All the fancy BS I see doesn't matter unless you have the survival instinct.

I've been thinking about doing a group buy on GLOCK fighting knives and E-tools. What do you think Ray? Both are made well, not over priced and can get pretty dirty.

links?