panteramatt

1911 suggestions?

Im looking for a 1911 in a 45 with a 5" barrel. I would like stainless, polished, or nickel or basically anything that looks really nice. Not looking at spending over $7-$800. So far I got:

Taurus pt1911

ruger sr1911

RIA nickel 1911

EAA witness

Any other suggestions and what about the guns I listed? I really like the taurus polished with the gold accents but I read that taurus autos arent that great. I would prefer a skeletonized trigger and hammer. If not, can they be added easily?

I know people that love their Taurus 1911's so don't beleive everything you hear and/or read.

I bought my Springfield Armory 1911 from Paul at Arms and Ammo (PK90 on here) for less than $700 used. Gun looked brand spanking new! It is a stainless steel finish.

I do believe you can get a Sig 1911 XO for around $850. A couple bucks outside your spending range, but the Sig's have a pretty good rep.

I had a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm. Ended up trading it in towards my Sig 226 Tac Ops in .40. I can't speak for the Taurus 1911 in .45, but the 9mm I had was dam picky with ammo and a pain when searching for spare mags.

I just picked up a Springfield range officer for 825 list at SS little more then yu want to spend but it comes with a holster and a two mag pouch if you are looking at shooting uspsa or anyhing like that have 150 rounds through it and like it very much

The EAA Witness is actually a CZ75 clone, not a 1911. A nice video comparing the two:

(I want one!)

I got a Taurus PT1911SS-AR from Bullseye last month, and I've put over 1000 rounds through it so far. It's nice looking, and straight shooting. It's really solid-feeling - easily the heaviest 1911 I've ever held. Lots of "custom" features that are only found on more expensive guns. I really like the serrations on the front of the slide - I think a 1911 without front serrations is not done yet.

Edit: I should add that it came standard with the skeletonized trigger and hammer you want. It also has the lightest trigger I've ever felt on a semi-auto pistol (besides my buddy's Wilson Combat), with a nice clean break.

I just picked up a Springfield range officer for 825 list at SS little more then yu want to spend but it comes with a holster and a two mag pouch if you are looking at shooting uspsa or anyhing like that have 150 rounds through it and like it very much

Ditto. I was in the same situation a few weeks ago and chose the Range Officer also. I freakin love this gun.

I had to look closely at my requirements:

*Forged frame.

*Forged Slide.

*Internal extractor.

*Blue or black frame/blue slide.

*Budget: $800-900.

With the Range Officer I got everything i wanted sans the finish, plus a match grade barrel and bushing for $825.

I was concerned with the parkerized finish, but the quality is excellent. No bells and whistles with regard to cosmetics, but so what. I wanted high quality and top notch performance and I feel I got that with this gun.

Could I change teh trigger and hammer to a skeletonized one and if so how much?

Triggers and hammers can be swapped (along with almost every other part if it's standard - springs, spring housings, grips, extractors, safeties, blah blah) but they probably require hand-fitting

I'd go SA or RIA

I hear really good things about taurus from gun owners and absolute horror stories from gun dealers.

That might be because they have a whole shelf of 1911s, most of which cost them more to put on the shelf, and make them more money when they leave with a customer.

Just saying. I haven't heard to many consumer horror stories on line, only grumbly dealers. For every other make, I hear grumbly owners and dealers saying you only hear the complainers. I don't see why the pattern of the unhappy customer being overly loud would suddenly be reversed for this one brand. It certainly isn't reversed for their revolvers or other semi-auto pistols.

Sorry, I know the eaa isnt a 1911 shoulda been more clear. I really just want a really nice 45 with da/sa in my price range but love the 1911 design but Im not biased to just a 1911.

Is double action a requirement?

STI Spartan

voting again

Spartan_Main3.jpg

The EAA Witness is actually a CZ75 clone, not a 1911. A nice video comparing the two:

(I want one!)

I got a Taurus PT1911SS-AR from Bullseye last month, and I've put over 1000 rounds through it so far. It's nice looking, and straight shooting. It's really solid-feeling - easily the heaviest 1911 I've ever held. Lots of "custom" features that are only found on more expensive guns. I really like the serrations on the front of the slide - I think a 1911 without front serrations is not done yet.

Edit: I should add that it came standard with the skeletonized trigger and hammer you want. It also has the lightest trigger I've ever felt on a semi-auto pistol (besides my buddy's Wilson Combat), with a nice clean break.

The controls are in the same place..