RecessedFilter

Anyone fly or used to fly r/c airplanes?

I have been eyeing getting into the r/c airplane hobby for quite a few years. When I was younger, my neighbor had 3 or 4 of them (one including a really cool A-10 warthog jet) and I used to watch him fly them. Of course I passed SCFGA today and just so happen to see the guys flying their planes in the field so I stopped by and watched for 20mins. That really sparked it and now that I am a bit older, and more mature, I thought it would be a fun hobby to get into.

So who is into them? Anyone? I'm a n00b getting into something that I don't have much knowledge about so beginner advice would be nice. I will end up researching more and checking r/c plane forums, but thought I would see if I could get any hits on here. I know starting small is the best way to go, so I was looking at buying a flight simulator for the computer and starting with that, then going with a low-cost 3 channel beginner trainer plane to learn on.

Long time ago I was into it a little. My former boss flies RC Helis.

Get the Great Planes RealFlight simulator for your computer first.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/realflight/gpmz4220m.html

Comes with a "Radio" controller and everything. Great way to learn and to practice.

You can pick up a ARTF or RTF (Almost Ready-to-Fly/Ready-to-Fly) kit for pretty cheap, but for your first plane I would recommend that you NOT get one of the cool looking ones - pickup a trainer - plastic body and foam wing that's secured with rubber bands, so if you crash, the bands will snap and you can generally avoid too much damage.

I'm not into it, but my uncle is. He continuously tries to "recruit" me and jumps up and down about how cheap and easy it is to get started. He recommends buying one of the styrofoam-type body plane kits that use electric motors and lipo batteries. Relatively cheap, easy to build, easy to *REPAIR* (basically just glue broken pieces back on, flying again in minutes).

I never did get into it, but if you're about to embark on a new hobby I have a $50 Tower Hobbies online gift certificate that I've been looking to unload....

Yeah as much as I want to get an EDF jet, it will be 200 bucks smashing into the ground in no time so I want to start the correct way and just learn on a cheap RTF trainer first, then work my way up to a nice jet. And for that exact reason, it's cheap! Most of those little planes survive small crashes and some glue should usually work, as you stated Digz. Maybe I will take you up on that TowerH GC..

been flying for over 5 years, although i haven't touched anything in over a year.

best beginner plane i have ever flown is the parkzone trojan t-28. I basically learned on that,and moved up to an EDF f-16.

http://parkzone.com/...?ProdID=PKZ4480

Parkzone also makes micro planes, i have the sukhoi.

http://parkzone.com/...ProdID=PKZU1080

Hard to fly on windy days, but you can plant that think into the grass 10x before it breaks. i would start here and move up. these micros really don't require flight simualtors. I didnt use a flight simulator until i started to fly heli's.

i got into scale rockcrawling last year which has eaten up most of my r/c hobby time. i also lost my flying spot, they turned vacant field into a sporting field and people are on it non-stop now.

Skip the flight simulator, get a micro from parkzone. That think will teach you more, and when you move up, your moving to something bigger and more stable = easier to fly. It will take a lot to break it, and worse case you need to replace a 1-2 dollar part, or glue the foam back together. Flight simulators are good and all, but with the new stuff they came out with in the past 5 years, you can learn on small foam planes that are hard to break.

With the development of high density foams, planes are more durable now and much cheaper. My only worry with flying is loosing the planes, not crashing them. I have a ton of money into the electronics of my bigger planes, i can replace the cheap fuselage easily, but all the high end electronics... no so much. I could use cheap components, but that's just creates something else to worry about..

Yeah as much as I want to get an EDF jet, it will be 200 bucks smashing into the ground in no time so I want to start the correct way and just learn on a cheap RTF trainer first, then work my way up to a nice jet. And for that exact reason, it's cheap! Most of those little planes survive small crashes and some glue should usually work, as you stated Digz. Maybe I will take you up on that TowerH GC..

Yeah, some of them are so resilient that they don't have landing gear by design - just stop the prop and glide into the grass.

The Tower gift certificate is easily transferable, it's just a code, so we can do it by paypal/private message if you like.

My buddy and I ran a model airplane club at the school we taught of years ago. He still flies some at the field you were at out on Milltown Road. They have people there that will help you learn how to fly. If you don't want to get frustrated and crash a lot (like I did when I was learning), you should go and get some help from them.

been flying for over 5 years, although i haven't touched anything in over a year.

best beginner plane i have ever flown is the parkzone trojan t-28. I basically learned on that,and moved up to an EDF f-16.

http://parkzone.com/...?ProdID=PKZ4480

Parkzone also makes micro planes, i have the sukhoi.

http://parkzone.com/...ProdID=PKZU1080

Hard to fly on windy days, but you can plant that think into the grass 10x before it breaks. i would start here and move up. these micros really don't require flight simualtors. I didnt use a flight simulator until i started to fly heli's.

i got into scale rockcrawling last year which has eaten up most of my r/c hobby time. i also lost my flying spot, they turned vacant field into a sporting field and people are on it non-stop now.

Skip the flight simulator, get a micro from parkzone. That think will teach you more, and when you move up, your moving to something bigger and more stable = easier to fly. It will take a lot to break it, and worse case you need to replace a 1-2 dollar part, or glue the foam back together. Flight simulators are good and all, but with the new stuff they came out with in the past 5 years, you can learn on small foam planes that are hard to break.

With the development of high density foams, planes are more durable now and much cheaper. My only worry with flying is loosing the planes, not crashing them. I have a ton of money into the electronics of my bigger planes, i can replace the cheap fuselage easily, but all the high end electronics... no so much. I could use cheap components, but that's just creates something else to worry about..

I was thinking of skipping the Flight Simulator when most of the guys over on Milltown Road suggested it. They all said they learned with small styrofoam trainers and moved up, and said if they could do it any one can haha.

I mean I'm all for getting a nice plane AFTER I start flying well and learning the ropes, but damn, $290 for a beginner trainer!? Isn't that something you're supposed to learn on? Or maybe learn THEN fly that thing haha. The Sukhoi seems more up my alley, 100 bucks to start with isn't too bad. I'm gonna check more of those out. Would you be interested in selling any of your lower priced planes?

I've spent so much time lurking on youtube and watching r/c rock crawling. It's actually really cool...I've spent 15mins through videos then next thing I know I realize I am an hour into watching rc trucks crawl over a rock course that some guys set up, made a movie of, edited, and finalized haha.

Yeah, some of them are so resilient that they don't have landing gear by design - just stop the prop and glide into the grass.

The Tower gift certificate is easily transferable, it's just a code, so we can do it by paypal/private message if you like.

PM coming your way...

There is member here, Bill, that does alot of them.

I hope he sees this thread and comments on here...

My buddy and I ran a model airplane club at the school we taught of years ago. He still flies some at the field you were at out on Milltown Road. They have people there that will help you learn how to fly. If you don't want to get frustrated and crash a lot (like I did when I was learning), you should go and get some help from them.

When I talked to them today (99% of them seniors), they all seemed friendly and welcoming. You could tell they were glad to hear that I wanted to learn the ropes through a simulator, or at least buy a cheap-o beginner plane to start with. We BSed, laughed and chatted for 20mins. I told them they would probably see me around.

Dammit Andres... Now you got me thinking about this again...

Stop acting like it's a bad thing! Maybe for your pocket, not your enjoyment...

Been flying R/C planes and helis for a few years now. I currently own a Parkzone T-28 Trojan (excellent and cheap plane!), a couple of 3D planes, and an Align T-Rex Heli. I had more planes and heli's, but as with all of my other hobbies, as soon as I had kids and my life got a lot busier, I ended up spending less and less time on my hobbies and I sold a bunch of what I had. Great hobby, but depending on how deep you want to get into it... it can get as expensive or MORE expensive than guns. As my son gets older (he's 5 now), I'm hoping that I can get him interested in it and build a plane or two with him from scratch and get them in the air together.

@ RecessedFilter - I'd advise you to not spend your money on a cheap trainer and instead invest in a good simulator first. If you know you're definitely going to get into it, then also buy a good radio (I really like Spektrum RC radios). You can can then hook up your radio to your PC and use it on the sim and learn to fly with your actual radio that will use on the real plane. If you spend enough time on the sim, you'll be fine with flying a real plane. You can then get a nice (but easier to fly) plane for your first plane and you'll be comfortable enough to fly it with all that sim time under your belt. If you can also spend some time with a seasoned R/C pilot, so that you can learn from them... then that's even better. You can fly with them and they can give you lots of great advice and help as you develop your skills.

Heli's are a different story... you need to spend a LOT of time on the sim and then taking baby steps with a real heli unti you get comfortable enough to fly them well. Even after years of learning to fly heli's, they still scare the crap out of me and I can't fly them all that well. I've smashed mine into the ground more times than I can count, and have rebuilt them so they were like new again... THAT gets expensive!!! LOL! :lol: Thankfully I'm the kind of person that likes to build and tinker with things... otherwise I would have given up a LONG time ago!

Good luck and if I can help with any advice, let me know! :)

Flew heli's for quite a few years. Had one plane about 10 years ago. I still have a Kyosho Nexus 30 and a Century II Hawk. The Nexus is not Ready to fly...I never finished the build. But all the parts are there and i have a six channel Futaba radio that goes with it, if anyone is interested. I went through 3 others before I bought the Century then fianlly learned to fly on that one. I learned a lot of very expensive lessons learning to R/C helicopters.

I like the Parkzone stuff myself. The micros are cool to just toss up in a small area. My opinion is skip the simulator. If you want a micro to start with, get the champ. If not, get the super cub. Either of these is great to learn on as they have no ailerons, just rudder and elevator. After that get the T-28 and learn to fly with ailerons. The nice thing about the T-28 is after you master it you can hot rod it up by pulling the stock 480 motor and throwing a Power Ten motor in it with a 10x7 prop.

Stay away from the Micro Sukhoi for a first plane. save that for a second one.

Also when it comes time to purchase check out Trains and Lanes off of rt 33 just north of Easton. It is a pretty cluttered store but they have or can get anything you want, good prices too. If you go on a weekend ask for a young fellow named Ben. He is an incredible flyer and is extremely knowledgeable in RC aircraft. Also don't forget the glue. Lol

If you want to try any of this stuff out before you buy it, let me know. Between myself and my friends we more than have you covered.

Not into R/C planes, but heavily into 1/5 scale gas buggies and trucks so I'm lucky enough to be around people with planes frequently.

Everyone is right, get yourself a nice SIM and learn there. It's easier and a heck of lot cheaper to learn through your mistakes. Once you have a good handle on SIM flying look to join a club that has members willing to trainer-box with you. This way, when you get in trouble someone is there to help you out before you crash.

Hope this helps.

My dad was a zealot when I was a little kid. He and my grandfather used to custom machine parts for his pylon racers so they would be lightweight. (I still have a lot of the parts, like a few motors, a few sets of lightweight aluminum wheels and struts my grandfather machined.)

I caught the bug for a little while, then moved over to helis then well... it kinda went away. I may end up selling my heli (Blade CP Pro) and my Piper Cub soon if I don't get back into it.