Iggyort

Several Dead, Including Gunman, in NJ Supermarket Shootout

http://nj1015.com/sh...-in-old-bridge/

:facepalm: automatic pistol.

It was probably a 12ga automatic AK47 pistol with cop killer bullets and extra clips.

Also I like how returning in Camo = body armor. Did he really have body armor?

Yeah, look how signing an assault weapons ban permanently ended Romney's political career in a far less anti-gun state.

Maybe if Christie can top him he will be the Republican candidate in 2016.

Yeahh.... Never been to Ma have you???

Yeahh.... Never been to Ma have you???

Only a couple dozen times, I more often just drive through. I have relatives in MA. If I visited them more often, I would get an MA carry permit. My shooting buddy has one. I also have relatives in NJ, but don't have that option in NJ.

Not a shootout - looks like its a murder/suicide.. choice of weapon unimportant.

This.

It looks like he was content on going in there to kill and then kill himself. The guns he did it with or the number of rounds in the magazine is completely irrelivent. But the anti gun vulchers will milk this as hard as possible.

http://www.facebook.....tyler1?sk=wall

Could be his facebook page. Profile picture says a lot

That person's page said he was in the Marines until 2010 . This guy was , according to reports , discharged 2 weeks ago. Remember the wrong James whatever his name was was harassed on his FB page as was his girlfriend because everyone assumed he was the Joker shooter from the theater. Just because he had the same name and was about the same age and from the same state.

Wow. This a horrible tragedy. My prayers go out to the victims of this disturbed person. Sounds like what the other poster said a lovers situation. FYI last night there were several shootings in newark. Where is the coverage on those?

Hi everyone. I know that this event is going to spark controversy but I think it is a damn shame that it has already, and continues to be, about, firearms. At the end of the day you have someone who represented America's interests, trained in combat skills, and perhaps even fought and killed to support American wars. Why is it that this young veteran, and so many other veterans, end up commiting violence against themselves and others? Why is suicide claiming more Iraq and Afghanistan veterans than the wars themselves?

As Americans we need to accept that veterans hold a burden that we civilians can never truly understand. It affects them through PTSD, depression, and their training does not encourage them them to be help seekers. It results in a higher propensity for homelessness, joblessness, and a feeling of disconnection with society, only worsening their problems.

Please look past the gun and see the troubled man that as a society and country we failed. We need to better service our high risk populations with mental health services, I.e. teens, homeless, and veterans. There will always be sane, morally absent people who do evil and as a society we need to do the best we can to help the unstable from breaking and adding to that evil.

As for the politics a I know us that I'm not going to be happy with the rhetoric from both sides. Hopefully things don't get worse for legal owners but if it does I'm sure it will take a while before anything gets through our slow ass government at which point it becomes appropriate to discuss the lawmakers.

Hi everyone. I know that this event is going to spark controversy but I think it is a damn shame that it has already, and continues to be, about, firearms. At the end of the day you have someone who represented America's interests, trained in combat skills, and perhaps even fought and killed to support American wars. Why is it that this young veteran, and so many other veterans, end up commiting violence against themselves and others? Why is suicide claiming more Iraq and Afghanistan veterans than the wars themselves?

Got it. Gun crime is not spiraling out of control, veteran crime is spiraling out of control. Guns are not the problem, vets are.

I think Janet Napolitano already covered this one. Should fit into the new Obamacare very well, too.

Statistically, violent crime continues to trend downward. This was one person killing two other people and likely was not random. It's tragic, but is not an uncommon occurence and is NOT another instance of a mass shooting.

Yes, but it will be reported all over ass another mass shoooting with a shootout with cops, well at least above the fold they'll imply that, and then when actual details come out that says that's not true, not a peep.

This.

It looks like he was content on going in there to kill and then kill himself. The guns he did it with or the number of rounds in the magazine is completely irrelivent. But the anti gun vulchers will milk this as hard as possible.

And the fact that the body count it 1 man, 1 woman, himself, and 2 windows...

No cops or mass amounts of innocents...

We need mental health care reform in this country so bad but the use of guns by spree killers overshadows the real danger; the human mind. The human mind's capacity to cause harm to others knows no limits and we need to make sure the mental health community gets the funding and tools it needs to get help to those that are most vulnerable and dangerous in our society.

Got it. Gun crime is not spiraling out of control, veteran crime is spiraling out of control. Guns are not the problem, vets are.

I think Janet Napolitano already covered this one. Should fit into the new Obamacare very well, too.

The news sure tries to make it appear that way lots of the time. The reality is that violent crime is trending downwards for whatever reasons, but people broken in the head are broken and don't react to the world in normal ways. When they aren't buried in the stats, they get more attention. We are sending a lot more soldiers home in pieces and not in body bags. We are seeing more pressure related brian injuries making it home. We are relying on a volunteer force in place for longer and longer periods, and we are making winning on the battlefield harder by saying that war shouldn't really kill anyone. THEN we aren't getting them proper care and treatment after the fact. It isn't helped by the fact that our society tells us that men shouldn't ask for help or be so weak as to need medical attention. That pressure is probably significantly hire within the military population. We are breaking more of them and not ramping up the efforts to fix them at the same rate. Also, outside of vets, we have shut down a lot of state funded psychiatric care. That is very often the only type of care available to a lot of people with mental problems, and if the only way you get in to the care that is left is after a judge determines you a threat, well more often than before that is going to be due to actually demonstrating that fact.

As Americans we need to accept that veterans hold a burden that we civilians can never truly understand. It affects them through PTSD, depression, and their training does not encourage them them to be help seekers. It results in a higher propensity for homelessness, joblessness, and a feeling of disconnection with society, only worsening their problems.

Please look past the gun and see the troubled man that as a society and country we failed. We need to better service our high risk populations with mental health services, I.e. teens, homeless, and veterans. There will always be sane, morally absent people who do evil and as a society we need to do the best we can to help the unstable from breaking and adding to that evil.

As for the politics a I know us that I'm not going to be happy with the rhetoric from both sides. Hopefully things don't get worse for legal owners but if it does I'm sure it will take a while before anything gets through our slow ass government at which point it becomes appropriate to discuss the lawmakers.

All that may be fine and good but I don't believe this shooter quite fits into that category.2 years in the Marines,never went overseas and was stationed in California.

Brooklyn bred and moved recently to Old Bridge.

2 questions: Firearms, legal/illegal? Just recent moved to NJ and in possession of a long gun and pistol.

Only 2 years in the Marines stationed in Cali. Discharged? on what grounds?

I venture we'll know soon enough but PTSD?.........I think not.

Something theyll never quite regulate..people's mental state over the course of their lives..you cant predict when someone will cross the line..while they might be perfectly normal when they get that FID or permit..they might do a complete 180 years from now..thats the million dollar question when talking about permiting/licensing..thats why they look to reduce the number of guns and ammo available to the average person..while the 2A guarantees us the right to have one..they woll continue to tax and regulate guns and ammo so they become less attainable

True , you can't predict something like this , a person's mental state. Or can you? In almost each of the high profile shootings of late , all the way back to Loughner , there were people ostensibly in authority , who were concerned about the individual's capabilities of committing a killing .

I think it would be dangerous to even imply that someone needs to be prequalified mentally if they have no history..it would be an equally bad idea to have a national mentally ill reporting system because disgruntled ex's and friends/family would probably abuse it.

But in these recent cases you are talking about people that drew the alert of threat assessment teams at universities ( in 2 of the cases) . In general , when these things happen , there are at least some people close to the perp who are not at all surprised they committed a shooting , not one bit.

I think it comes down to people being vigilant and also being brave enough to step up if they REALLY think someone they know is losing it and is capable of hurting innocent people. People never want to hear that though. They want it to be the guns fault , or the government's fault , or a bully's fault.

Ah , well. No easy answers here.

True , you can't predict something like this , a person's mental state. Or can you? In almost each of the high profile shootings of late , all the way back to Loughner , there were people ostensibly in authority , who were concerned about the individual's capabilities of committing a killing .

I think it would be dangerous to even imply that someone needs to be prequalified mentally if they have no history..it would be an equally bad idea to have a national mentally ill reporting system because disgruntled ex's and friends/family would probably abuse it.

But in these recent cases you are talking about people that drew the alert of threat assessment teams at universities ( in 2 of the cases) . In general , when these things happen , there are at least some people close to the perp who are not at all surprised they committed a shooting , not one bit.

Then put them into an asylum. If you have serious reason to believe they are a present danger to people, then put them in an asylum.

Don't tie it into gun ownership, or FIDs (which only exist in a few states), or any of the other anti-gun nonsense.

This guy was not even overseas and NJ people are already crying PTSD due to combat. Now NJ people are crying crazy and mental health issues when there is no evidence of any of that either. You guys are eating into the anti-2A hand, you just skip over the gun to the next two lines on the page. Simply carving out new categories to link people to firearms prohibition or otherwise link them to "terrorism" to further empower Department of Homeland Security to target an ever expanding pool of the citizenry. It's two sides of the same coin.

Less people have been killed in shooting sprees this year by vets or people with clinical mental health issues than have been murdered in the last two days without any gun at all. Or probably any two days you can pick. You are falling into the hype and the trap that they have laid for you over an issue that does not exist but will soon rise to a new hurdle you have to pass to exercise your basic human rights. And that new hurdle will be raised every year. Not because there was a problem, just because they made you hysterical over the least likely threat to your happy life. You should be way more worried about drowning.

If this story does bring to light the need for better mental health services for veterans, that would be a positive thing to come from this tragedy.

It is very sad that those two young people were killed...

But this has nothing to do with Sports-Gun-People...

The Marine could have just as easily used a knife, a club, or his auto....Shall we ban all these too?...Or maybe we should ban Marines - after all they are tought to Kill in bootcamp.

Sadly, more peole die in car accidents by far - and many from negligent drivers - than most of these other sad items which are overblown and sensationalized by the press - way, way, way out of statistical proportion...

Maybee we should all turn in our cars.

And don't forget to turn in your dogs...Dogs attack and sometimes kill humans from time to time.

I am sad for the two "kids" and I will say a prayer in the AM when I do my daily prayes - but this has nothing to do with me as a sports-shooter per se.

The best way to stop violent crime, in Chicago, DC, and yes - here, is to allow qualified, law-abiding citizens to carry...Just say, just one of those 14 co-workers were legally carrying - just maybee, maybe, slim as it may be, he would of had a chance to save those two kids.

This is still too soon to know how mentally ill this man was or was not. This could still just be a very pissed off man going through a very stressful time that was not PTSD. That sort of anger is different from a person presenting a dissociative or psychotic break.

An angry man is always scary but not necessarily mentally ill. There may have been no real evidence to anyone of the same sort that Jared Loughner and Holmes presented.

For us as gun owners I submit that we all learn at least as much about psychotic breaks as found in the link in my signature. It is one thing to buy and train with a handgun and hope that we react well under stress, but it is another form of bravery to point out to someone you know and care about that they might need psychiatric care.

As a veteran I can tell you that the VA's outreach to all of of was nothing less then spectacular. Having no need for it though, I do not know how effective the treament is. On thing that I have been pushing for with the Mental Health practicioners I know is that they should be looking to accept Tricare for treatment. This allows Reserve and Guard soldiers that are not near large VA hospitals to get treament. Sadly, many in the medical profession still do not take it.

It is very sad that those two young people were killed...

But this has nothing to do with Sports-Gun-People...

The Marine could have just as easily used a knife, a club, or his auto....Shall we ban all these too?...Or maybe we should ban Marines - after all they are tought to Kill in bootcamp.

Sadly, more peole die in car accidents by far - and many from negligent drivers - than most of these other sad items which are overblown and sensationalized by the press - way, way, way out of statistical proportion...

Maybee we should all turn in our cars.

And don't forget to turn in your dogs...Dogs attack and sometimes kill humans from time to time.

I am sad for the two "kids" and I will say a prayer in the AM when I do my daily prayes - but this has nothing to do with me as a sports-shooter per se.

The best way to stop violent crime, in Chicago, DC, and yes - here, is to allow qualified, law-abiding citizens to carry...Just say, just one of those 14 co-workers were legally carrying - just maybee, maybe, slim as it may be, he would of had a chance to save those two kids.

Respectfully....you're preaching to the choir my friend. I believe the vast majority of forum members would acknowledge that a loaded weapon may just as well be a brick without a sentient hand to wield it.

This ruined my DAY! I was planning on going go to the range this weekend but this completely took the wind out of my sails! Events like this steal my desire to go shooting. All I can think about is how Trenton is going to either try to put further restrictions in place or take our stuff completely. This is what they needed!

All of a sudden I have no desire to go shooting this weekend. I felt this way during the Arms Trade Treaty last month. It just makes me really somber and worry about the thousands upon thousands I have spent on my collection.

Just really takes me out of the mood... and that upsets me.

That's pretty F'd up.

Respectfully....you're preaching to the choir my friend. I believe the vast majority of forum members would acknowledge that a loaded weapon may just as well be a brick without a sentient hand to wield it.

Of that, I am cognizent...Just one Sports-Shooter's way of an "emotional-outpour" in empathy for those Kids...Much of that here today from our community

Ugh I just read nj.com artitcles. Very sad.

Apparently it was a 45mm automatic pistol. Holy smokes!

Authorities said Friday that Tyler used an assault rifle similar to an AK-47 for his supermarket attack. He also had a 45mm handgun, which he used to kill himself, they said.[/Quote]

... armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and an automatic pistol ...[/Quote]