n4p226r

What self defense ammo do you use and why

40 sw gold dot 165gr and hornady CD 165 in 40..for sig p229 plus a 7 pound yorkshire and a 7 pound maltese on 24/7 guard duty!

Added:

Why? after testing couple hundred of each in my sig no misfires or failures to feed. Whatever you decide to use make sure to test

a bunch of it in ur weapon

I don't have a 9mm or 357 sig pistol, but for my G23 I have 40sw Winchester Ranger Talon-series 180gr for HD . Youtube reviews on these are sick. These little rounds break out with sharp spikes (aka, "talons") as they expand and up to .9" in diameter I believe hitting ballistics gel.

AND also a 12 gauge with 00 buck for good measure lol

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr - Excellent round. Good consistent expansion. Will not foul on clothing/etc. It tested perfect through all of my 9mms.

I also have a couple mags loaded with Winchester PDX1 124gr +P - another good round with good expansion. It's bonded too so you won't get jacket separation.

Thinking of picking up some HD in 9mm and 357sig. Seems easy enough to just pick up some Speer gold dots and call it a day but wondering what everyone else uses.

That depends on the weapon:

12 gauge - 00 Buck

9MM - Hornaday Critical Defense LeverEvolution 115gr Polymer Tipped #90250 with FPS 1140, FtLbs 332, TKOF of 6.65

.45ACP - Cor-Bon +P JHP 185gr #SD45185 with FPS 1150, FtLbs 543, TKOF 13.68

and Speer Gold Dot GDHP 230gr #23966 with FPS 890,FtLbs 405, TKOF 13.16

10MM - DoubleTap WFNGCH 200gr with FPS 1300, FtLbs 750, TKOF 14.86

5.56 - PMC X-Tac 62gr FMJ M855 with FPS 3020, FtLbs 1255, TKOF 5.99

9mm Gold Dot 124gr +P

.45ACP Gold Dot 200gr +P

I think most of the modern HPs will be more than suitable for HD. I'd recommend trying Force on Force Simmunitions as a great way to see how you may react in a real situation.

TheWombat

I use hornady critical defense in 9mm and .45 because they are the calibers of most of my hand guns. I get crit defense simply because of the poly filled tip by law excludes it from being a hollow point and they have good performance.

Not necessarily true any more. The law restricts hollow point and "dum-dum" bullets, and does not define the term "dum-dum." A recent ruling determined that the meaning of "dum-dum" is plain. Webster defines "dum-dum" as any bullet designed to expand "more than usual."

cool. thanks guys. i'm thinking i'll pick up some 124gr +p gold dots and see how they go through the sig. i have two boxes of 25 rds of hornady xtp 115gr but when shooting fmj i greatly prefer 124gr over 115 gr. i've been using winchester white box NATO rounds and seem to like them over all 115gr rounds i've tried. i just picked them up because a friend was getting rid of them. i'll probably just go through all 50 of those at the next range outing to see how they function. then i'll try to find a box or two of the 50 rd gold dots to see if they work before getting a larger qty.

for the 357 sig. the two most popular rounds seem to be the winchester ranger and the gold dots as well so i'll probably see what i can find out of each of those to determine what i want to do.

Went to CJRPC today to rotate some ammo..had both silver and brass colored primers in Critical Defense 165gn FTX 40 SW..shot about 100 rounds of each this time..(previously couple hundred of brass colored primers-all 100% reliable and reasonably accurate at 25 yds..there were problem misfires some ppl had with their Kahr ( and couple others) pistols handling hard primers according to phone call with Hornady, so test your ammo in your HD pistol before depending on it..I was on outdoor pistol range around 4pm shooting sig p229

Winchester ranger JHP in my 40 cal pistol. My first choice would be my Judge with 6shot for home defense. That will do the trick and I dont have to worry about over penetration. If we where actually alowed to cary I would cary the 40.

Ken

Winchester Talon 147gr. Sharpest petals out there in terms of HP's from what I have seen, and I prefer heavier 147gr for penetration.

Not bad. It has a Taylor Knock Out Factor (TKOF) of 7.38 compared to a 115gr FMJ's TKOF of about 6.75. The Cor-Bon 115gr +P JHP runs at 7.87. Although TKOF is a numeric mathematical approach for evaluating the effectiveness and stopping power of hunting cartridges (always subject to much debate), it may be appropriate here to compare the stopping power of pistol cartridges when you are looking to throw the biggest bullet and its mass that you can at a target.