zoid

New Pistol Powder Suggestions?

I'm down to my last pound of Accurate #2. That's all I've used since I've started reloading.

Nothing wrong with it, but from what I've read and been told it's a fast burning powder. I

am trying to load very light and with Accurate #2 it seems to work, but you get a lot of

powder left not burned so it gets messy fast.

Do you guys suggest anything else that is good for lighter pistol loads? I think something

that fills the case more might be beneficial, but let me know your thoughts.

I load 9mm and 45 only right now. In the future I may do 38spl/357mag. Thanks.

I'm down to my last pound of Accurate #2. That's all I've used since I've started reloading.

Nothing wrong with it, but from what I've read and been told it's a fast burning powder. I

am trying to load very light and with Accurate #2 it seems to work, but you get a lot of

powder left not burned so it gets messy fast.

Do you guys suggest anything else that is good for lighter pistol loads? I think something

that fills the case more might be beneficial, but let me know your thoughts.

I load 9mm and 45 only right now. In the future I may do 38spl/357mag. Thanks.

Look into

TiteGroup (9mm/38) (Fast though....)

NV320 ( 9mm/38)

Clays ( for 45 )

Clays will load a lot of different pistol calibers but its not the cleanest of powders. Fast burning, soft shooting and Full burn.

VV N320 is always a small caliber favorite. Very fast burning and VERY clean and VERY soft.

Lots of people like tightgroup as well for those calibers, its also very versatile.

Second selection powders would be W231, Unique and maybe Bullseye.

Maks turned me onto WSF for 9mm. I'm hooked, liked it so much I bought a big jug and its my goto powder for 9mm now. Makes a nice load that hits power factor for USPSA, along with a nice pop/push feel without any harshness in my 9mm 1911. If you weren't going for PF, you could lighten it even more to make it feel like a .25acp I'm sure.

I do prefer something universal and that's why I picked Accurate #2. Lots of load data on it (well least in my Lee Reloading Handbook).

It was listed in almost every caliber and weight and type of bullet so that to me showed it was versatile. I'd rather not buy one powder

for each caliber. Someone gave me a little bit of Clays to try out so I will do that. Any reason why N320 would not work for 45ACP?

Will look into the others. Thanks.

No , you want regular old clays for 45, universal operates differently.

HODCLAYS-04 * @ powdervalleyinc.com

Hodgdon_Clays_4.jpg

I saw this but got put under the impression it was for shotguns due to the clay birds on the container. Thanks.

As others have said, Regular Clays is great for 45 and 9mm.

For my 45, it is the only powder I have used. 3.5-3.7gr for a plinking load and 4.3gr to make major for USPSA(using a 200gr LSWC win primer, standard oal)

You can use it for 38/357 and 40s&w( no room for error on 40s&w)

As others have said, Regular Clays is great for 45 and 9mm.

For my 45, it is the only powder I have used. 3.5-3.7gr for a plinking load and 4.3gr to make major for USPSA(using a 200gr LSWC win primer, standard oal)

I used around 4.3 for my 200gr 45 loads with Accurate #2. Shot great, very soft, but a lot of unburned powder so it's messy.

Is Clays burning completely and clean with 3.5 - 4.3 gr?

N320 is very versatile and clean burning. A pretty fast powder, slightly slower burning than 231 iirc. Only downside more expensive Nd not able to find it as readily.

Wsf is a fantastic alternate. A bit slower burning, but really nice. I use it for 9mm, 45 acp and 45 gap. I also use it as backup for 40 sw after n320.

Just picked up wst to try as well. Supposed to work well for. 9mm.

Only issue with winchester powders is being single base, they are inverse temperature sensitive.

BTW, wsf and n320 also meter very well.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I saw this but got put under the impression it was for shotguns due to the clay birds on the container. Thanks.

Clays was Hodgdon's shotshell powder answer to Alliant's Red Dot, but slightly more versatile in large-bore (12 ga.) loadings using 24 gram to 1 1/8 oz. loads. It is still slightly slower in burn rate than Hodgdon's Titegroup. All three can be used in applications for shotgun or pistol. Other favorites for auto. pistol are 231, WSF, Bullseye, Unique, WST, Int. Clays.

Just about every pistol powder meters nicely except 4227.

Another vote for WSF for 9mm. IMO one powder will not work well for all three calibers. 9mm is high pressure and .45ACP is low pressure. My powder for .45ACP is WST. .45ACP seems to work best with a fast powder and makes for soft recoil.

At the suggestion of a friend who has been shooting and reloading longer than I have been alive, I load .45's (Colt and ACP) and 9mm with Bullseye. No complaints, other than some soot after a prolonged range session. I recently got a pound of Unique to try.

personally I Like both Clays and Titegroup for both cartridges both powders give good performance without the gunk from Bullseye..I used bullseye when i first started, and i think my Black powder guns were cleaner after a range session sometimes. Since I started reloading again i;ve stuck with the two i mentioned and havent had any problems.