Sign in to follow this  
johnott

Quantum Stealth camouflage

Wow. This is just absurd but so cool. The implications of this type of technology is mind boggling.

Unfortunately once everyone has this technology it's just one more thing to worry about.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/claim-secret-camo-can-make-american-solders-truly-invisible-the-photos-will-blow-your-mind/

"...it works and does so without cameras, batteries, lights or mirrors…It is lightweight and quite inexpensive."

"...you would literally have to “walk right into” a solder wearing the cloak in the same room as you to know he was there. You wouldn’t see him at all."

Sounds good in a press release and through pictures on a web site. I'm skeptical though.

If it really worked as advertised then it really wouldn't be advertised. DARPA (or the Canadian equivalent) would have slapped a classified cloak of its own over the whole thing.

Assuming there is some nugget of truth behind the PR, there are still operational issues:

.. The pictures show the fabric being layed out flat, almost perpendicular to the light source. How well does it handle more complex shapes and light directions.. the Human eye picks up distortion extremely well.

.. What is the update rate? Can the fabric keep up with movement, and at what speed? If the update rate is slow then it will cause distortion.

.. Mentions full-spectrum coverage.. My BS sensor kicks in.. if true that's amazing but again, if true it would be buried behind DARPA-type projects.

It is real... so documentaries on it...

There are various vidz on it.

Those are optical. The claims that are being made is that its non optical, and seriously magical.

I remember seeing this video a while back but thought it was just B.S....who knows what's actually being used.

http://youtu.be/uU-xBJCyNhk

It is real... so documentaries on it...

There are various vidz on it.

Here is one:

Here is a vid of BAE's Adaptive Camo

The first is speculation about what might be possible some day plus special effects.

The thermal camo is real and so not what this company is claiming.

I call bs on the claim of passive optical stealth because you would have to reroute photons around you in a manner that is aware of all observers.

That's where I first saw it. Way too cool. Can imagine the price tag.

Gvt Price per yard.: $ 5000

Public Price As Seen On TV: $29.95 per yard with free shipping?

LMAO...

Here is another video

http://www.cnn.com/v...-technology.cnn

I call BS even after the CNN video.

To date, most of the published research is about projecting video onto a garment's surface. Lets pretend they are way more super awesome than all those researchers and go to the pics and their claims.

1) They claim it is passive, no power source required.

2) Every concept image and explanation of potential use they give is not a uniform, but essentially an invisibility sheet.

OK, so given that, you can imagine that as long as you present it as roughly a 2d object occupying a plane or topology that does not fold back on itself, the transmission of the right light to the right viewer can be worked out by the angle of incidence of the viewer to the sheet. The transmission we will assume is done by some light transporting fiber or something. Fine, nothing that ostensibly requires magic.

But it is passive, no computing. Please explain to me two things. First, if the hidden object (we'll call it a soldier) is illuminated, how are soldier photons different than say wall photons. How do the photons bouncing off the wall behind the soldier get through the soldier to be transmitted through the fabric. How does the soldier photons get edited out. Second, if it is bending all the light around the soldier, how is the soldier not engulfed in absolute darkness?

Given a sheet format, and some very fancy optical material with lots of hard to imagine, but not magical attributes, I can come up with ideas about how you can edit out the soldier passively provided that your sheet is really close to 2d, planar, extends well beyond the perimeter of the soldier, and has the soldier positioned relatively close to the sheet, and the sheet and soldier is not too close to objects behind the soldier.

The only passive way I see doing a sheet that only shows you some of what is on the other side of the sheet is to effectively omit everything at a specific distance from the sheet. This can be done with optics, much like your front sight post on an AR isn't visible in a magnifying optic. And it's no secret that optics don't need to be spherical or aspherical transparent elements. There are tons of research papers on this from people researching digital imaging. Maybe you could do it passively if your camouflage was like running around in a big hunk of sonotube. I still can't think of any way to do it in a useful manner without it getting unworkably complicated very, very rapidly.

Gvt Price per yard.: $ 5000

Public Price As Seen On TV: $29.95 per yard with free shipping?

LMAO...

And if you call now we will throw in two invisible cloaks and a sticky and shamwow for 29.95 . This will allow you to keep it clean with the sticky and clean up the urine when you scare your friends. Call now.