AnthonyC83

Facebook discussion: "one pin turns it into full auto"

The amount of misinformation out there is incredible guys. The person who said this to me is in fact a police officer in my town. He states that AR's (AR stands for assault rifle by the way), which ARE machine guns, should be totally banned from private ownership. Because no one should have a machine gun.

I asked him, if he ever heard of an AR being converted to full auto with "one pin" and was then used in a crime afterward. Cause I've never heard of it. Apparently this doesn't matter, all that matters is to get these machine guns out of homes period. Once again, this coming from a local LEO. Who I believe served in the military at one time.

I'm no gunsmith, but a quick google search tells me there's more than just a "one pin" difference from an AR15 to a full auto m16.

I wont say its not possible to convert but not as easy as one pin. and get this please AR DOES NOT EFFING STAND FOR ASSAULT RIFLE THE ACRONYM WAS ADOPTED by ARMALITE THE MANUFACTURE. they gave it that alpha designation

Your LE buddy is completely misinformed and possibly thinks he is the savior of the community he cant possible patrol alone and get everywhere at once. he should choose another profession. You should also define the the 2A for him.

For your own information so you know the facts ar-15 comes from the Armalite Corp. designer of the AR-15 rifle. Why AR-15? Well, Armelite had multiple rifles/shotguns for sale from the AR-1 thru the AR-15. Some were even bolt action. When they were in financial problems they sold the rights to Colt. Colt sold the civilian version of the AR15 in 1963. It has been in civilian hands for 50 years.

As far as SA to FA, it is a completely different FCG and BCG. They must be replaced en mass not upgraded with a pin.

This LEO has his rights to his opinion, but jeez make it an informed opinion,

I find it amazing how many LEO's have little or no backround in firearms. It is a tool of the job.

how about..american vs anti-american totalitarian....whether the person is a cop or plumber makes no difference..if they think no one should have guns then they are on the "other side"..unfortunate that some leo feel that way..

Guys I was and am fully aware of what AR stand for. When I put in parentheses 'by the way' I was trying to convey that he told ME, that it in fact stood for assault rifle to prove his point.

Sorry guys, I don't want a civvie vs LEO here. I'm merely just venting my frustration because I have no where else to vent where logical people can understand

Lets just leave out leo all together. As a citizen, he's clueless and needs to be informed. How old is he roughly....? What war was he in? Did he ever get past the fact that AR15s and M16s are 2 different animals? Shame he is that clueless or just won't give in because he knows he's wrong....

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

It's just so frustrating and disappointing that the people you'd expect to be totally on your side are not. I respect all leo for what they are but I can't believe. For the record I believe he's not anti gun, just anti AR. Still bothers me.

Oh and fugg Facebook. Without that this kind of misinformation wouldn't spread like wildfire.

Lets just leave out leo all together. As a citizen, he's clueless and needs to be informed. How old is he roughly....? What war was he in? Did he ever get past the fact that AR15s and M16s are 2 different animals? Shame he is that clueless or just won't give in because he knows he's wrong....

Typos courtesy Apple...

My age.. 30 or so. I don't know about his service. Went to HS with him and I believe he went into military after/during college. Totally liberal based on his posts. And I can respect that, but I never saw the gun thing coming. I had to jump in and comment, I couldn't leave it alone

Geeze, sounded like something someone older would say... Oh well, ignorance maybe...

My age.. 30 or so. I don't know about his service. Went to HS with him and I believe he went into military after/during college. Totally liberal based on his posts. And I can respect that, but I never saw the gun thing coming. I had to jump in and comment, I couldn't leave it alone

Typos courtesy Apple...

Geeze, sounded like something someone older would say... Oh well, ignorance maybe...

Really? What's age got to do with it? I'm a Vietnam era veteran, so I'm pretty old, and I carried an M16A1, so I know the difference.

The issue at hand is that fact that if this misinformed peace officer can pull any of us over after a day at the range and make your next few hours interesting to say the least.

Unfriend him, or post his facebook page here.

It was not to be offensive to you or anyone in that respect. But if he were older, he may not be aware of the plastic rifle genre... Sorry you took it that way.

Really? What's age got to do with it? I'm a Vietnam era veteran, so I'm pretty old, and I carried an M16A1, so I know the difference.

Typos courtesy Apple...

you have to much sticker free time on your hands

That's years of adding them, and I don't have too much time on my hands, I have a leak free 83 shovel, that doesn't happen by accident. Lol

To you old iron folks, yes there is oil in her, but straight weight 60 in the summer and 50 in the winter. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is possible. The guys in the North Hollywood shootout did it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout

But ya.. Swap BCG, trigger mechanisms, and possibly some machining of the lower receiver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance. The hammer and trigger mechanisms are of a different design. The bolt carrier and internal lower receiver of semi-automatic versions are milled differently, so that the firing mechanisms are not interchangeable. This was done to satisfy United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) requirements that civilian weapons may not be easily convertible to full-automatic. In the late 1970's and early 80's items such as the "Drop In Auto Sear" or "lightning-link," conversion to full automatic is very straightforward (sometimes requiring machining of the lower receiver with use of a lathe and M16 Bolt Carrier Group).[12][13] Such modifications, unless using registered and transferable parts made prior to May 19, 1986, are illegal. (The Firearm Owners Protection Act in 1986 has redefined a machine gun to include individual components where a semi-automatic firearm can be converted to full-automatic based on a 1981 ATF ruling on machine gun parts.) Since 1993 The Bolt Carrier Groups used in AR-15 type rifles for civilians have employed additional measures to prevent modification to full auto. Colt AR-15's use a metal alloy wall separating the Fire Control group from the Sear, preventing use of such items.