Kaiser7

Just kicking around ideas about what handgun I'd like to get

The going rate for the P226 was around $700-800 I believe, pre-rush of course.

Yes for a basic intron gun, this was attainable in the price range above.

HA-HA! You haven't seen what the scare prices are for the 5-7! You can buy a pair of 226s! The 5-7 has a cult following. I now have a pair of IOMs.

I blow past Glassboro State - err, Rowan - all the time flying down 55. Heck, I've hired 3 Rowan engineering majors in the last 18 months. My home range is just 15 minutes from Glassboro, so it's definitely doable.

The cheapest I've seen it ately was 1500. That was a bargain when I saw it. Also heard at shot show that the Israeli govt bought five sevens and all were going over to israel right now to cover the contract

By the way PM me when the Rowan shoot comes up.....i want to contribute with time...ammo....rifles.....$$....

I didn't even think of that. When is the Rowan First Shoot? I could probably donate some ammo and guns as well.

FN 5.7x28 is like an expensive h00ker. After you take a few shots, she's gone before you know it.

The most important thing for me is the trigger. A lot of folks get hung up on looks. Those gun rags will brainwash you.

If you like 5.7x28 with little recoil you may want to rent a long (4" or 5") barrel revolver shooting 38 specials. Single action is very accurate

Sig single action is also nice but not as good as 1911s.

10 mm is great......kicks, fireballs and raw power.....if you re ever up in Easton,PA you can try shooting my assortment.

Pricewise its steep, especially full power loads

Colt delta elite is chambered in 10 , so is Glock 20 and soem EAA pistols. Soon also the 1911 from Rock Island Armory.

http://www.underwood...m/10mmauto.aspx

Big bore + hand loading = perfect together. It's true however. Once you are seduced by big bore, the reloading equipment comes next, especially with 10mm. So much ability to customize, and the only way to shoot it without a second mortgage from ammo.

Let's not forget about the S&W 610 for venerable 10mm mention!

Good to hear a young person like you wants to get into sports sgooting...First, be safe, practice safty rules, learn your equipment inside out. (And don;t watch video games ;-))...This is truly a character building sport (even at my "deep" middle age), somthing the GunGrabers will never understand...Contratulations on thinking ahead!

I recomend going with quality...I understand you may not be able to afford say an all steel 1911...Check out the Springfield XD line. I have an XDs now "pocket-pistol" 3.3" barrel, and a XDM-Competition 5.3" barrel on order.-They have many XD sizes in between to fit your needs. I am extreemly impressed with this line of semi-autos. The ergenomics are (hum it chocks me up to say) better than 1911's (the "Gold" standard). And the 3.3 inch 45 cal can hit all A's on an USPSA target at 25 yards (I did this :-))...They are at a very good price point 500-700$ and Springfield gives you a lifetime warrenty...Better to spend a couple of hundred bucks more for a brand-name - a gun that will literally last your whole life....There are many viable other options out there, but the XD line is one I can speak too (most my other pistols are 1911 which may be beyond your budget at this point in your life)...

Let us know how you make out.

Oh, I'm an odd case I think. I never grew up around guns, but I've always been fascinated by weapons and history, initially I was into swords. I've been shooting for a few years, and started my FID application soon after turning 18.

Generally I've always preferred rifles. I've shot one pistol, and only once. It was a 9mm S&W handgun, but since it wasn't something that had a history attached to it, I really don't remember what it is.

Ideally, once I'm more financially secure, I want to start practicing frequently, and get into competition shooting. I think my only problem is that I love so many different types of guns, I'll be a jack of all trades, and a master of none. I'm a pretty good rifle shot though, and while I've never been the biggest handgun guy, I feel as though it would be fun to eventually shoot something different.

Weirdly enough, though I'm not entirely sure I want to get a revolver first, I am really interested in getting into cowboy action shooting.

Might I recommend a Glock 19? My first pistol when I turned 21 a few years ago a CZ75b and I really liked it. Now my favorite is my Glock 19. Simple, rugged, 15 round mags, parts easy to change. I love it.

I'm not a fan of the Glock. For whatever reason, I trust the polymer 5-7, but not the Glock. My friend was at a range when a Glock blew up. It's the same reason I wouldn't own a motorcycle, because a family friend got really hurt on one.

Sorry, double post.

I didn't even think of that. When is the Rowan First Shoot? I could probably donate some ammo and guns as well.

The date... is up in the air. It's at SJSC, but due to the Chief Range Officer being very sick, his projects fell to some other people. It was set back in November for February 24th. Unfortunately, the date is unknown now.. As of now only .22LR is allowed, and we'll be shooting at steel. I plan to try and contact the guy and finalize the date. I also have to try and get more students there. It's been pushed back so many times, a lot of people haven't been responding to the updates. Organizing this has been a bit of a nightmare, but I want it to be successful so I can make it a yearly thing.

Big bore + hand loading = perfect together. It's true however. Once you are seduced by big bore, the reloading equipment comes next, especially with 10mm. So much ability to customize, and the only way to shoot it without a second mortgage from ammo.

Let's not forget about the S&W 610 for venerable 10mm mention!

Fortunately I already reload. I forget who, but a member on this board had confirmed my supposition that gun-owners are among the nicest and most charitable people out there. He essentially gave me a Lee turret press (well, I couldn't drive up to North Jersey, so he simply had me pay for shipping, and I bought a few other materials for a good price.)

Personally, I love reloading for the simple reason that I can go from having almost no ammo to having quite a bit with a little bit of work. Hell, considering how little I make at my job, the amount of ammo I make per hour is probably worth more than my hourly wage! XD

Fair enough. I had a 10mm, liked it but in the end the price of 10mm was a little much. The CZ75b is an awesome piece. For a while they were a nice little secret. Now the secret is out and more people see what a deal they are.

Good to hear a young person like you wants to get into sports sgooting...First, be safe, practice safty rules, learn your equipment inside out. (And don;t watch video games ;-))...This is truly a character building sport (even at my "deep" middle age), somthing the GunGrabers will never understand...Contratulations on thinking ahead!

I recomend going with quality...I understand you may not be able to afford say an all steel 1911...Check out the Springfield XD line. I have an XDs now "pocket-pistol" 3.3" barrel, and a XDM-Competition 5.3" barrel on order.-They have many XD sizes in between to fit your needs. I am extreemly impressed with this line of semi-autos. The ergenomics are (hum it chocks me up to say) better than 1911's (the "Gold" standard). And the 3.3 inch 45 cal can hit all A's on an USPSA target at 25 yards (I did this :-))...They are at a very good price point 500-700$ and Springfield gives you a lifetime warrenty...Better to spend a couple of hundred bucks more for a brand-name - a gun that will literally last your whole life....There are many viable other options out there, but the XD line is one I can speak too (most my other pistols are 1911 which may be beyond your budget at this point in your life)...

Let us know how you make out.

Springfield XD45. I love the ergonomics of this weapon. Compared to my old Glock 22 (sold to my brother), I actually look like I know what I'm doing when I shoot the XD. Granted, the .40S&W is not the same round, giving you unpleasant, sharp muzzle flip, but I think the "safe action" was what hurt my precision. I would second combat auto's praise for the ergonomics. I bought my 4" XD-45 in OD/Black for like $375 a about three years ago in basically unfired condition.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you decide you can't afford to buy a pistol in the near future, at least buy the 15 round magazines to go with the pistols you're considering. Fortunately, the Masterpiece Arms Defender I bought takes Five Seven mags, so I'm golden if we get hit with a capacity limit that permits grandfathering. My brother in a free state has all my 15+ capacity mags . . . I'm holding out hope that some day I'll be able to use them in our state if not . . . I'll be able to use them if I ever move to northeastern PA.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but consider a 4" 357. The best all around handgun there is IMO. Learn to shoot one well DA and everything else is easy.

If you insist on a semiauto my vote goes to the Glock 19 as the best all around 9MM.

5.7s, 10MM, and other calibers arent going away but they haven't swept the handgun world either.

Gonna echo what Griz said..

Glock 19?

Great gun-fairly cheap, FUN to shoot, ammos not too costly, cycles any ammo reliably, effective for HD, effective for carry..

4" .357?

S&W 686 or Ruger GP100

Shoot .38sp for cheap, effective for HD...not so much for CCW

And even if you don't think you're a "revolver guy"

You will be, trust me, I can shoot my 4" 686 ALL DAY!!

Oh, I'm an odd case I think. I never grew up around guns, but I've always been fascinated by weapons and history, initially I was into swords. I've been shooting for a few years, and started my FID application soon after turning 18.

Generally I've always preferred rifles. I've shot one pistol, and only once. It was a 9mm S&W handgun, but since it wasn't something that had a history attached to it, I really don't remember what it is.

Ideally, once I'm more financially secure, I want to start practicing frequently, and get into competition shooting. I think my only problem is that I love so many different types of guns, I'll be a jack of all trades, and a master of none. I'm a pretty good rifle shot though, and while I've never been the biggest handgun guy, I feel as though it would be fun to eventually shoot something different.

Weirdly enough, though I'm not entirely sure I want to get a revolver first, I am really interested in getting into cowboy action shooting.

I'm not a fan of the Glock. For whatever reason, I trust the polymer 5-7, but not the Glock. My friend was at a range when a Glock blew up. It's the same reason I wouldn't own a motorcycle, because a family friend got really hurt on one.

Well if you want to connect History and Guns, then you MUST have a 1911 if not now when you get the money. There is no more historic pistol......Colt and Kimber are among the best for the price...You can go cheaper "but"...You can get a custom "Wilson" (mine is coming within weeks) - but save this expensive 1911 for your min-life crissis (like me! ;-)).

4" .357?

S&W 686 or Ruger GP100

Shoot .38sp for cheap, effective for HD...not do much for CCW

And even if you don't think you're a "revolver guy"

You will be, trust me, I can shoot my 4" 686 ALL DAY!!

wheelgunners don't let fellow wheelgunners shoot alone. pass the ammo. it's gettin expensive out there.

believe me, reloading is much more fun than pressing the crap out of a magazine. it's a lot cooler too.

Well if you want to connect History and Guns, then you MUST have a 1911 if not now when you get the money. There is no more historic pistol......Colt and Kimber are among the best for the price...You can go cheaper "but"...You can get a custom "Wilson" (mine is coming within weeks) - but save this expensive 1911 for your min-life crissis (like me! ;-)).

I believe RTSP is a master dealer for Wilson Combat.

TOTALLY beyond my price right now, but I'd love a Luger. I mean that has got to be the coolest handgun ever made. Too bad no company has ever made a quality reproduction, something which baffles me. I mean if they could get a decently priced reproduction, maybe offer them in .45ACP, they'd make a mint.

I know some company reproduced them, but apparently they sucked. But the originals are just so damn cool, only drawback being their sights, but they're great because the grip is designed so that as soon as it's brought up out of the holster, it's lined up to shoot.

Yeah, I need to make more money, and try for a P226/P229. Of course, with the way NJ is handling PPP and all that jive right now, even if I had the cash, it would be months before I could get one anyway. Still, I'm always of the opinion that any purchase should be thought about for a long time beforehand.

TOTALLY beyond my price right now, but I'd love a Luger. I mean that has got to be the coolest handgun ever made. Too bad no company has ever made a quality reproduction, something which baffles me. I mean if they could get a decently priced reproduction, maybe offer them in .45ACP, they'd make a mint.

I know some company reproduced them, but apparently they sucked. But the originals are just so damn cool, only drawback being their sights, but they're great because the grip is designed so that as soon as it's brought up out of the holster, it's lined up to shoot.

Yeah, I need to make more money, and try for a P226/P229. Of course, with the way NJ is handling PPP and all that jive right now, even if I had the cash, it would be months before I could get one anyway. Still, I'm always of the opinion that any purchase should be thought about for a long time beforehand.

Yeah, I waited to buy a Five Seven. Look where that got me. :)

I klnow what you mean. We all have that "one." Mine is the Mauser C96. I think that's the only firearm I'd actually heavily consider giving up a kidney for.

At this rate maybe just a .22

Yeah, I seriously doubt he would regret buying a Mark II/III. The Mark III is fun and inexpensive to shoot, and it would maintain a healthy gun lust. It's a nice "gateway gun" . . . you'll inevitably progress to harder stuff, but you'll never want to give up that Mark III.

Yeah, I seriously doubt he would regret buying a Mark II/III. The Mark III is fun and inexpensive to shoot, and it would maintain a healthy gun lust. It's a nice "gateway gun" . . . you'll inevitably progress to harder stuff, but you'll never want to give up that Mark III.

Actually my thinking is usually this with gun purchases. "Well, if I got this cheaper $300 gun, I could get it sooner! BUT, I could just save that $300 for a little bit longer, and get a BETTER gun!"

That's why, stupid as it is, I doubt I'd buy a .22 pistol first. In my mind, it makes more sense to save a little longer, and get a REAL pistol, and then get a .22 later on, with like, a tax return, or from selling some stuff on ebay.

Already reloading = GOOD! Perhaps you need some busy work? I've got buckets full of brass needing tender lovin' loadin'!

Too bad you're not ready to buy now. Came across an ANIB no-rail P229 nitron/night sights 9mm with a couple mags for pre-stoopid pricing today.

Already reloading = GOOD! Perhaps you need some busy work? I've got buckets full of brass needing tender lovin' loadin'!

Too bad you're not ready to buy now. Came across an ANIB no-rail P229 nitron/night sights 9mm with a couple mags for pre-stoopid pricing today.

:'(

Happens every time. Wanted a K98, settled on a VZ24, a few weeks later a K98 came up for the same price. Never around when I have money, deals galore when I do.

Oh yeah, I reload, though I'm running low on 55gr .224 bullets.

Oh yeah, I reload, though I'm running low on 55gr .224 bullets.

Stopped by TNT reloading today up in Stockertown,PA

He had 224s, primers as well.

No primer sales only, you have to buy an equivalent sum of stuff as the balue of primers you get.

Limited to a 1000 per person.

First time at TNT, no sign , no nothing, computer repair shop on one side and a door on the other.

Large garage and a counter. Tons of powder all over the place.

http://www.tntreloading.com/

If I were you, I would seriously look at the Colt o1918 reproduction 1911's. Sweet looking and pretty close to original but built to shoot.

Or, look at Colt Single Action Army repro's. Beautiful guns and supposedly fun to shoot. Then, if you get into Cowboy Action stuff you'll be all set. They also serve well as HD guns if you train on them, and as hunting guns. Good luck with your choice.

C

Actually my thinking is usually this with gun purchases. "Well, if I got this cheaper $300 gun, I could get it sooner! BUT, I could just save that $300 for a little bit longer, and get a BETTER gun!"

That's why, stupid as it is, I doubt I'd buy a .22 pistol first. In my mind, it makes more sense to save a little longer, and get a REAL pistol, and then get a .22 later on, with like, a tax return, or from selling some stuff on ebay.

The Mark III is certainly a real pistol. You don't like the caliber? Eventually everyone gets into rimfire because it employs inexpensive ammo, it's fun to shoot, and it's a pretty good deterrent to criminals. I would probably go for my .45 first in a home defense scenario, but five or ten rounds of .22 in rapid succession will really ruin a bad guy's day. Plus, as you amass more money for your collection you can have upgrades like this performed: https://www.volquartsen.com/category/11-mkiii-conversions/6-mkiii. I like the V-Magic II, myself.