Kaiser7

Magazine reduction (15 to 5) Bill just introduced into NJ Senate (Think it's a new bill)

Just called and s/w Aggie (very nice woman). She asked what count I lived in (Bergen) and said she would pass along the info to the state Senate. Highly encourge you all to call!!! Calling friends now to get them to call.

As a 62 year old lifetime shooter a few years from retirement I decided that since guns were my main hobby, running away from trouble was getting harder and seniors are easier targets for criminals, that I should move from NJ sooner than later. I took a substantial cut in pay to relocate to Florida but the low cost of housing and property taxes combined with low cost of living and no State or City income tax, left me with more disposable income than I had in NJ with a much higher salary. Florida is the Gunshine State unfazed by the negative publicity from the Zimmerman case. Our Stand Your Ground Law remains unchanged and in fact the only new gun law provides for no legal action for brief or accidental exposure of a concealed gun.

Now I am surrounded by gun stores and low cost shooting ranges. I shoot every week at an indoor range just 20 minutes away. There are 6 guns stores within a half hour drive and many more within an hour. The local gun club dues are $150 a year with no upfront new member fee or requirement to give them any hours of your time for labor. With the great weather I shoot all year round. No mag capacity or gun purchase restrictions. No registration of any kind. I carry a gun daily and feel much safer for it with an ever increasing crazy world. Sure I live far from my family but it is a short and inexpensive plane ride to Newark Airport. Cost of living offsets lower salary and the weather is great. I have never been the guy who complains about their situation. I always do something about it even if means moving or quiting a job. I understand that most are not like me though. :)

As a 62 year old lifetime shooter a few years from retirement I decided that since guns were my main hobby, running away from trouble was getting harder and seniors are easier targets for criminals, that I should move from NJ sooner than later. I took a substantial cut in pay to relocate to Florida but the low cost of housing and property taxes combined with low cost of living and no State or City income tax, left me with more disposable income than I had in NJ with a much higher salary. Florida is the Gunshine State unfazed by the negative publicity from the Zimmerman case. Our Stand Your Ground Law remains unchanged and in fact the only new gun law provides for no legal action for brief or accidental exposure of a concealed gun.

Now I am surrounded by gun stores and low cost shooting ranges. I shoot every week at an indoor range just 20 minutes away. There are 6 guns stores within a half hour drive and many more within an hour. The local gun club dues are $150 a year with no upfront new member fee or requirement to give them any hours of your time for labor. With the great weather I shoot all year round. No mag capacity or gun purchase restrictions. No registration of any kind. I carry a gun daily and feel much safer for it with an ever increasing crazy world. Sure I live far from my family but it is a short and inexpensive plane ride to Newark Airport. Cost of living offsets lower salary and the weather is great. I have never been the guy who complains about their situation. I always do something about it even if means moving or quiting a job. I understand that most are not like me though. :)

I'm hoping to find myself there very soon. As soon as my lease is up, I plan to head down there to be with my family.

What part of Florida are you located?

Old Dog, I am envious and may move to a more friendly state if this (unlikley i think) goes through...I am for background checks, and I can tolerate the BS NJ paper work to buy pistols, but this law would severly hamper our ability to defend ourselves in the home and may be the last "straw".....I can telecomute from anywhere in USA...Let's hope there will always be good states to move to.

I'm hoping to find myself there very soon. As soon as my lease is up, I plan to head down there to be with my family.

What part of Florida are you located?

Central Florida. Did not want to be near the water for two reasons. Hurricanes and frustration from seeing young women in bikinis all the time. :) I have met more people from NJ here than I did living in NJ. Almost every day I see a NJ license plate. I live in a place called The Villages. If you are retiring do yourself a favor and go to http://thevillages.com A 55+ community that spans 3 counties and has its own zip code. Over 80,000 residents. It was themed by the same people who themed Universal Studios. It is often referred to as Disney World for adults. Also called the bubble because we have our own newspaper and radio station that tends to devote more time and space to local news and filter out a lot of the bad stuff that only has voyeristic value. We have over 140 restaurants, 29 golf courses, twice that many pools, recreations centers, fishing and over 2000 activities of which about half are active on any given day. They are all free and included in our $140 a month amenities fee. All places are accessable by golf cart and we have special golf cart lanes. Free music and dancing every night in the town squares. Happy hour is almost every hour. In 3 years I have not had to leave the community. DMV, voter registration and everything else you can think of are all within our boundaries. The only time I had to go outside the bubble was to buy a new car. Costs for everything is low. For $100 I can walk out of a high end department store with several bags filled with shirts and pants. Here is a picture of just one of the many lakes a few minutes away by golf cart:

up-A2P98OCT24K2KCRB.jpg

The place is not your typical retirement community. It is for active adults. Golf, tennis, pickleball, billiards, motorcycle clubs, bike clubs, etc. No little old people sitting around. These people are retired or semi retired and busy all day long. They put me to shame.

Houses go from $138,000 to $1.5 million. Something for everyone and no class distinctions. Mostly blue collar and middle management white republicans. Just the way it is although I have seen no signs of prejudice here as the few minorities are warmly welcomed as are gays and lesbians who have their own clubs. Most here are too old to care anymore. :)

Old Dog, I am envious and may move to a more friendly state if this (unlikley i think) goes through...I am for background checks, and I can tolerate the BS NJ paper work to buy pistols, but this law would severly hamper our ability to defend ourselves in the home and may be the last "straw".....I can telecomute from anywhere in USA...Let's hope there will always be good states to move to.

I made the switch to telecommuting 3 years ago and had to take the pay cut to cover the cost of local IT consultants because I could no longer do the installs and repairs of the network hardware. I originally wanted to move to Las Vegas but once you get away from the Strip it is very brown and there are some bad areas. When you travel you go through desert to get to the next city unlike what we have in NJ or here where we seemlessly go from town to town. Arizona was on my list also as I am no fan of humidity but I have a cousin living 1 mile from me and my wife's sister and two nieces 40 minutes away. When we saw the place we live in we fell in love and bought the house sight unseen. Everyone waves hello and in 3 years I have yet to see any trash on the road or sidewalk. It is maintained year round with every store and bulding themed with false facades just like you would find in Disney World. They change the flowers every few weeks so it is just beautiful to drive around and very safe too.

Out of all the 13 places we have lived, we like this the best. We see plants and trees that we never had anywhere else. Even the birds are all different and exotic looking. We are surrounded by farms and horse ranches with no big city nearby. I have not been on an elevator or escalator in 3 years. Regardless of any new gun laws, make the move. Many of us go back up to NJ to visit the family during holidays but usually find that they want to come down here since we are only an hour or so from all them major theme parks. :)

#2 at the bottom of the bill says "This act shall take effect immediately".

Meaning the mag reduction? If so, there is no way that could be legal. It wouldn't give gun owners the opportunity to get rid of the mags, if they chose to do so. It would make the owner of every semi-auto handgun, most semi-auto rifles and even some bolt action rifles with magazines larger than 5 rounds instant felons.

Old Dog- Wow, that place sounds incredible! But Im far from retirement. I'm looking at Cape Coral, Ft. Myers, or Naples. My Mom, sister, brother and grandparents live in Cape Coral. My girlfriends Aunts, uncles and cousin live in Naples. They are NRA certified instructors, defensive knife instructors, fishing charter boat captains and wild game hunting guides :).

I think I would have a lot of fun down there lol.

If the Gov signs this, any ambitions at any form of higher office is GONE, the second he signs this comp,etely innane feel good math law. Looking at some youtube vids of what he has said on 'gun control' it sounds like he wants "comprehensive" approach. Political double speak typical of liberals. I call it reprehensible approach.

If this state engages w NY in a race to the bottom, to defeat the Bill of Rights and it does affect my jobs directly. I will and must leave this state.

If the Gov signs this, any ambitions at any form of higher office is GONE

I think that's the strategy behind introducing at least some of these bills. If Christie signs them, he has a huge problem with Republican primary voters in the 40 states that are 2A friendly. If he vetoes them, he at least needs to explain it to NJ soccer moms and Volvo Republicans for November. It's a fine line that he needs to walk.

He's 50 years old. If he's reelected in November, I don't think he wants to retire to become president of a second-tier NJ liberal arts college at the age of 55. By his own admission, he has his sights set on national office.

He's been a very successful lawyer and politician, so I'm confident that he can walk that fine line -- if he really wants to.

I think that's the strategy behind introducing at least some of these bills. If Christie signs them, he has a huge problem with Republican primary voters in the 40 states that are 2A friendly. If he vetoes them, he at least needs to explain it to NJ soccer moms and Volvo Republicans for November. It's a fine line that he needs to walk.

He's 50 years old. If he's reelected in November, I don't think he wants to retire to become president of a second-tier NJ liberal arts college at the age of 55. By his own admission, he has his sights set on national office.

He's been a very successful lawyer and politician, so I'm confident that he can walk that fine line -- if he really wants to.

I think their strategy is to start with a ridiculous bill as it stands, then negotiate to something in the middle. They need negotiating room. They don't want to start with 10 round limits, but will try to settle at 10. I don't think a 5 round limit would make it through, but they may see 10 as reasonable. Look at all the turmoil in NY with a 7 round limit. 5 rounds makes most guns illegal and would get reversed in court if it did pass.

I got a very nice e-mail back from my Assemblyman in the 25th district (Morris County) thanking me for my input and assuring me he is pro gun owner! I will post his reply in its own thread.

I think their strategy is to start with a ridiculous bill as it stands, then negotiate to something in the middle. They need negotiating room. They don't want to start with 10 round limits, but will try to settle at 10. I don't think a 5 round limit would make it through, but they may see 10 as reasonable. Look at all the turmoil in NY with a 7 round limit. 5 rounds makes most guns illegal and would get reversed in court if it did pass.

I'm sure they would love 10 rounds! (1 round or the Pennsylvania rifle Hawkeye carried in the Last of the Mohicans would be much better from their perspective!) But even if 10 rounds might seem reasonable in the deep Blue States -- it looks bad in the 40 2A-friendly states. I don't think Christie can do much more than support legislation involving mental health, drugs / alcohol and schools.

Christie does have problems with conservative Republicans and the T.E.A. Party so anything he vetoes gives him cred with that part of the Republican Party. I don't know if the Democrats are looking at it that way. I don't even know if Christie is looking at it that way. It could be a sort of "Pascal's Gamble" on his part, if by some chance he manages to turn off enough Volvo Republicans and soccer moms to lose in NJ this November he could instantly become a Republican front runner for 2016.

Our best hope of preventing either of these mag capacity bills from being pased is not 2A arguments but rather plain old common sense and fundamental fairness. I really believe that most people who read about this aren't aware of and haven't even considered the costs of such legislation. 1) legal citizen one day, instant felon the next, 2) law will effectively result in confiscation of tens of millions of dollars of property from law abiding citizens with no compensation, 3) de facto ban of most handguns, and 4) impeding ability of citizens to defend themselves (this is probably the argument that non-gun owners are least likely to accept). I plan on raising this at the hearing tomorrow in Newark. The problem is that even if we get their attention and they listen, the recommended "middle ground" may very well be a 10 round limit with a grandfather clause. That "solution" really only leaves us with argument #4 and of course 2A arguments, and the reality is that very few people in this state find those arguments compelling.

Our best hope of preventing either of these mag capacity bills from being pased is not 2A arguments but rather plain old common sense and fundamental fairness. I really believe that most people who read about this aren't aware of and haven't even considered the costs of such legislation. 1) legal citizen one day, instant felon the next, 2) law will effectively result in confiscation of tens of millions of dollars of property from law abiding citizens with no compensation, 3) de facto ban of most handguns, and 4) impeding ability of citizens to defend themselves (this is probably the argument that non-gun owners are least likely to accept). I plan on raising this at the hearing tomorrow in Newark. The problem is that even if we get their attention and they listen, the recommended "middle ground" may very well be a 10 round limit with a grandfather clause. That "solution" really only leaves us with argument #4 and of course 2A arguments, and the reality is that very few people in this state find those arguments compelling.

This, and using facts. The argument, "It's my constitutional right" holds no water with those who do not view it as a (necessary) right. It's the same as trying to prove God to an atheist using the bible.

Use facts, studies, and act calm, rational, and dress nicely. Polos, button-up shirts, Khakis, leave your camo at home.

I am sick to my stomach. Now it criminalises one of the Three companies I work for which unluckily is in NJ which I work part time whenever I feel like it, yes, whenever I feel like it. And forces them to probably move ALONG WITH JOBS as well. It also forces another company who just opened up a small branch in NJ and ties their hands at the very least.

I called and left a mesaage voicing STRONG concern.

This affects retired cops and probably active cops as well, knowing NJ.

The depths of the utter stupidity of this state's outrageousness and Europhile utopianist nannyite fetish is beyond any and all human comprehension, to say the least.

To put this into contrast. A good friend in PA just went to get his fingerprints done for his Utah out-of-state CCW done by the PASP Leutennant. He asked about carrying open and the Leutennant says 'Its your right as an American to CCW and you need not a permit at all to carry open, just one for concealed' and went on with a lecture ENCOURAGING his getting that Utah outta state permit.

The total opposite to the entire rest of the enitre country, except elitist NY is unfathomable and HIGHLY disturbing.

Now im going to puke.