Cowboy6373

UPS Store will NOT ship firearms or loaded ammo!!

I am not sure what part you are unclear about. If isn't up to the carrier to ask you what you are shipping, your obligated under federal law to tell them you are shipping a firearm. Why should they have to ask you?

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm

You missed the part where I said I'm talking about other than firearms. I'm saying if you ship something and they ask what you are shipping do you have to answer? We ve established if it's a gun you have to. I'm asking generally speaking. I always thought it was a private matter and you did not have to say unless it was required. Just verifying if that's the case.

Just a quick clarification - there is no such thing as an "OMD" label.

You're looking for "ORM-D"

FYI - I was informed by UPS that the ORM-D labels are being discontinued, and will soon be replaced by one of the diamond-shaped hazardous labels.

I was just at the local UPS store in Flemington to ship a firearm that I sold on Gunbroker and was informed that they no longer ship firearms other than antiques and they no longer ship loaded ammunition!! An antique as defined by UPS is a gun manufactured prior to 1898!! The manager showed me the email memo she received from UPS headquarters that details the new rule. This even applies dealer to dealer.

I've always had issues with UPS, but now, we must come together as a group and do something about it. Use any other form of delivery. Write to them, as I am doing. Blog it everywhere you can and to all those who support the 2nd Amendment. If they don't want to support us, let's not support them. We need to get this message out quickly, and to as many people as possible. If you have any of their stock, sell it!! I hate to have my emotions get ahead of me, but boy am I pissed off.

The UPS stores are not owned by UPS. They are a francise of some sort. Around here they do not ship firearms. We have to drive to the real UPS facility to do that.

You missed the part where I said I'm talking about other than firearms. I'm saying if you ship something and they ask what you are shipping do you have to answer? We ve established if it's a gun you have to. I'm asking generally speaking. I always thought it was a private matter and you did not have to say unless it was required. Just verifying if that's the case.

You are required by law to disclose hazardous, explosive or biological materials. When shipping UPS they only ask you if you are shipping any restricted items and they usually tell you what they are. Other than that you are more than welcome to tell them to mind their own business if they ask you what are you shipping.You are under no obligation to tell them what is in the box as long as you respond to their inquiry regarding restricted items.

That being said I did have an experience with a UPS store where the store manager asked me about restricted items and I said no, Then he told me he needed to know what I was shipping. I told him that it was none of his business and not a requirement. He responded that since I insured it for a high value they needed to know what it was. Again I told him he had no right to know and he refused to ship it. I filed a written complaint with UPS and did receive a response from them telling me that they addressed the issue with the shipping franchise and that it wouldn't happen again. Of course I never returned to that franchise.

I always thought you had to go to a main HUB when shipping firearms - UPS or FedEx...

Meh.... I have no issues with that rule.... sorry

DING-DING!!!!

UPS stores are franchises, thus you are not handing the gun over to a common carrier, thus it is against the law. You need an actual customer counter or schedule a pickup by the UPS guy who actually works for UPS.

ORM-D is different, and I know they are changing some of the rules this year, so ammo might be hit or miss. You can definitely do whatever is needed at the customer counter.

I sent out a Beretta upper to be refinished, and tried to send it via a UPS Store. When I said what it was, this lady put on a nasty look and pointed to a paper... which was about 15 feet behind the counter, and had a small line highlighted. I asked her if it was SO important, why isn't it visible for customers to see. It states no firearms or ammo can be shipped through a UPS Store. When I mentioned it is not a firearm, she kept pointing to that paper and looking away.

Last time I ever walked into a UPS Store...

If you are insuring it, and want ANY hope of ever getting a settlement if something happens, you need to declare the contents.

I tell them I'm shipping sex toys before they ask, therefore I'm not obligated to answer any questions; and they don't want to ask. Gold Plated Sex Toys, Value: 2x the true value.

That's How I Roll........

Let's play hypothetical here - assume you lie and don't tell the UPS store that you're shipping a firearm when you actually are.

Buyer/FFL never receives the firearm - package lost - tracking information ends somewhere in the bowels of UPS's system.

Now what do you do?

I had to ship a P.O.S. gun back to the manufacturer, I tried (being honest and declaring what was inside) the post office told me no, local Fed-ex store told me no. I ended up giving it to the delivery driver that stopped near my house and asking if he could ship it for me, he said yes and didn't ask about the contents.

Afterwards I realized huh, what happens if it never gets delivered, but I realized it is a POS gun so I honestly didn't care if it got lost forever. Reflecting, probably not my smartest decision ever but....everything went better then expected.

Resurrecting this old thread...

So has anyone shipped a handgun through UPS recently? I just ran through the UPS website to get a quote, using a California address for delivery, and it came to over $90! Is that right?

I got the same quote on a next day air UPS last year. I went to my friendly neighbourhood FFL who did it for me for 27$ since apparently he can ship handguns ground. Since i was buying a gun from him he did it without a fee but even if you pay outgoing transfer i see it ending much cheaper this way than 90$

EDIT: my FFL had a Firearms Shipment Number to ship to CA.

I know if you re not an FFL you dont need one but if you go via the FFL route find one that has a Nr from the California DOJ.

FWIW I shipped some ammo from the UPS counter in Staples a few months ago declaring it as ammo and had no issues.

A carrier does have a right to ask for a declaration of contents as regulations require different handling for some things (like hazmat fees for primers and powder).

Barron's Drug/Gift store in Westfield is a UPS shipping facility that will accept loaded ammo for mailing. As covered above, the ORM-D label must be on the outside. Last time I shipped some odd shotgun shells the clerk noticed the ORM-D sticker which says right on it "small arms cartridges" and asked if that is what was in the package. I honestly replied, yes, and that was it. I have shipped a full case of 38 special wad cutters through them also. I did re-package the Federal case box into another unmarked box and put the ORM-D sticker on the outside.The UPS store locations have informed me that it is a "corporate" decision that prevents them from shipping ammo. (insurance/ignorance/pink underwear?) Barrons also has the municipal lot right behind them with a rear entrance so it is real easy.

I have shipped long guns from the Post Office and was questioned once as to what was in the package; I replied "sporting goods" and expected the "..what kind" reply to which I would have said golf clubs, but it never went that far. After that, I found it easier to "break them down" which makes the packaging much shorter and less suspicious to inquiring/ignorant minds.

Resurrecting this old thread...

So has anyone shipped a handgun through UPS recently? I just ran through the UPS website to get a quote, using a California address for delivery, and it came to over $90! Is that right?

Well far side of PA was like $34 a few years ago. Sending it to washington state with two guns witha  declared combined value of about $4200 ran me about $150-something. SO maybe a tad high for a used glock. SOund about right for a gun over the kilobuck mark with insurance. Sounds underinsured  if you shipped it in a needlessly large box. I do next day saver in the medium box with a hard case that fits unless it is warranty work requiring the factory box be used. TO big to stuff under a jacket, but keeps the price down. 

So... AR uppers technically not being firearms should be allowed to be shipped through a UPS Store?

I did this through USPS and it was confiscated.  It was a spikes 9mm upper that they said was a firearm.  I had insurance, etc and I am still fighting for either the money or the return.  

I don't believe this is new policy. About 18 months ago I purchased some, er, sporting goods from a guy in New Hampshire. He drove all over creation to find a UPS place that would ship ammo. He finally discovered that he had to go through a depot-type place, not your run-of-the-mill UPS outlet.

If I brought ammo to my local UPS outlet, in the Newton Staples, the whole shopping center would be in lockdown for a month.

I've received ammo through UPS many, many times. No biggie.