BarkNBite

keep Your SA Up......

One of my sons tell me that a girl he works with, tells him that the eveining before she went out in her back yard late around 12:30 AM to walk her dog before going to bed. She lives with her family in a very upscale semi rural neighborhood right off a golf course cul de sac....while out in the back she thought she hears a beep from a text message on someones cell phone...in the wooded area ....shrugs it off and goes back in with the dog to get ready for bed...

BINGO.............Home Invasion at the neighbors house next door 20 min. later.

Seems the neighbor works the night shift. The gang broke in ransacked the house while the wife and baby were in bed...my son told here to call the police the next morning which she did...we have been plagued here by this type of gang invading homes and burgularizing them while the owners are home.

And how close in the dark would she have had to been to hear the sound of the text go off ?

Moral is........if your hear or see anything unusual.......call it in.

Mother and baby were un touched but obviously shaken I'm sure.....

Here's a question for you guys re: burglars...

If someone breaks in while I'm home, of course we all know what we would do. But- I keep a handgun in my nightstand for just such incidents, and I do not lock it up in the safe every time I leave the house. If someone were to break in while I was at work or at dinner, I would probably lose that handgun. And it has made me question whether I should, at the very least, put it in the safe in the morning, and take it out at bedtime every night.

However- I grew up with guns placed all over the house, so no matter where you were, if someone broke in, you were relatively close to one. My dad left them there, we had no safe. A burglar would have gotten them all (of course, back then, it was no big deal to go and buy more... alot more... immediately).

Just wondering: what do you guys do?

If someone breaks in while I'm home, of course we all know what we would do. But- I keep a handgun in my nightstand for just such incidents, and I do not lock it up in the safe every time I leave the house. If someone were to break in while I was at work or at dinner, I would probably lose that handgun. And it has made me question whether I should, at the very least, put it in the safe in the morning, and take it out at bedtime every night.

However- I grew up with guns placed all over the house, so no matter where you were, if someone broke in, you were relatively close to one. My dad left them there, we had no safe. A burglar would have gotten them all (of course, back then, it was no big deal to go and buy more... alot more... immediately).

I would definitely lose the one in the bed side stand....the others? not unless they have quite a bit of time.

I've read, although I can't find it now, that most handguns stolen in burglaries are taking from the bedroom unlocked.

I am 100% all for locking just because of burglary. I don't have kids so it's not an issue for me but I handguns are pretty expensive I hate to lose them. Not to mention he potential to commit a crime with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedroom floor. I have a 12ga benelli and a sub compact 9mm with a light in a vertical quick access safe.

1st floor a have a 1911 in a small fingerprint safe bolted to the bottom of a storage piece in the living room. Quick

Basement I have my gun safe in the man cave with an AR ultralight compact that i built ready to go, and a sig 9mm ready to go. Extra mag loaded next to each.

Also I have a driveway alarm that beeps a piezo when someone enters my driveway.

Your gun should be easily accessible but not easily found. Time is not on burglars side, they will check the bed stand, but probably would not look to see if anything is taped to the underside. Be creative.

Strong magnets are my friends.

put it in between the mattresses when you are not home if you dont want it in a safe.. we dont keep our 38 in a safe either (night stand).. and when we get our shottie, it will be quickly accessible under the bed

then again, we have an alarm system AND a nasty sounding dog also

I forgot about those fingerprint safes... that might be a good idea. I could maybe mount it to the wall between the bed and nightstand.

Something like this

http://www.meijer.com/s/gunvault-speedvault-quick-access-gun-safe/_/R-219194;jsessionid=5EBA642CE58A5B0259210E4409C0B7BB.instance01?CAWELAID=1421991646&cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google-G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Sporting_Goods&kpid=SV500

And ditto the ground floor- been trying to think of a way to do same down there... I have one of those hollow books I could put in my large built-in bookshelf...

My nightstand safe is bolted on 3 sides to the night stand. They would have to steal the entire bulky nightstand and then at a later time start breaking into it. My long gun his hidden in something discrete in my closet. The basement has my safe which is pretty fast to get into and is camo'd as stacked boxes. My garage has a shotty and a pistol again, hidden and secure in creative ways where only a good amount of time would uncover.

These guys know they have between 3 to 5 minutes in most cases to get in and get out. You would be surprised at how fast a well trained gang can cover a house. 2 peeps per floor with gym bags can get away with a lot of goodies in 3 minutes.

IMHO if you have a gun, you have a duty to make all reasonable efforts to secure that gun from unauthorized access. Also, my guns are expensive! I don't want anybody stealing one of my beautiful Berettas.

All safes are basically time deterrents. The burglar has to weigh the amount of time he's going to spend working on that safe along with the possible reward. Some burglars want nothing to do with guns because of the additional charges. They just want your prescription painkillers and they will leave. But not all burglars are the same.

I prefer keyed-safes. Biometrics can fail. You can forget safe combinations when you are frightened. But if you practice with a key, you can be as smooth as changing a magazine.

I use a nanovault with a cable lock around the bed. The key for my safe is inside the backup battery compartment of my clock radio.

I keep my car keys inside my little nanovault. This forces me to get out of bed every morning and the first thing I do is unlock my nanovault. Doing this twice a day has made me very proficient.

I will. Not disparage you if you have no kids and keep your gun in a drawer, but for me, keeping it locked but accessible is the right thing to do.

In the old days (when my kids were little and when I was still with wifey #1) I took a pickup-truck-back-window-rifle-rack (pair of brackets) and wood-screwed them to the underside of the box spring on my side of the king size bed. The loaded (mag tube, not chamber) 870 lived there with a trigger lock installed. The trigger lock key was velcroed to the bottom of my nightstand drawer for easy, blind access.

The plan (never necessary during those years) was to literally roll out of bed onto the floor, pull the hidden key from under the drawer and slide the shotty out of the vinyl coated clips on the rack. Unlock it, rack it, and do what's needed.

IMHO if you have a gun, you have a duty to make all reasonable efforts to secure that gun from unauthorized access.

You mean other than locking the front door? Why should I have to "secure" anything inside my home? When I weigh the cost/benefits of having my shotgun in easy reach if someone breaks in while I'm in bed vs losing the gun should someone steal it when I'm not home... I'll choose the former every time. I can replace the shotgun for $400. I can't replace myself. As for the gun being used to commit a crime somewhere, well, that's what criminals do and I can't be held responsible for it just like the police can't be held responsible for failing to protect the public from said criminals.

I will. Not disparage you if you have no kids and keep your gun in a drawer, but for me, keeping it locked but accessible is the right thing to do.

No kids.

How long does it take you to get into your bedside keyed safe if someone wakes you up at 2am?

I forgot about those fingerprint safes... that might be a good idea.

Too much to go wrong with a fingerprint safe. Get something sturdy with a simplex lock like a Ft. Knox.

Also search the forum for the thread of the guys showing how easy it is to break into most major brands of pistol safes. Using things like screwdrives and hangers they get 90% of them open inside a minute.

I keep hearing how bad fingerprint safes are... But I have had one for years and never fails and if it did, I have a master key backup. Takes seconds...

So maybe some are bad and some are not...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

that said, i'm constantly aware of what's going on in my neighborhood. i notice(and note make/model/color/tag number of) cars that i'm not accustomed to seeing. if i'm on my way out, i call one of my neighbors, and inform them. coming home, same thing. i note anything/everything that isn't "normal" for our neighborhood.

same thing when i see people walking. i watch them to see if there's any signs of them casing any or our homes. i have a camera at the entrance of my home, and over the summer will be adding a few more, along with some sort of beeper at the front walk gate, and the driveway gate.

This is irresponsible!!! you are telling us you have a safe but leave a loaded gun in a nightstand unattended!! Think about that!!

You mean other than locking the front door? Why should I have to "secure" anything inside my home? When I weigh the cost/benefits of having my shotgun in easy reach if someone breaks in while I'm in bed vs losing the gun should someone steal it when I'm not home... I'll choose the former every time. I can replace the shotgun for $400. I can't replace myself. As for the gun being used to commit a crime somewhere, well, that's what criminals do and I can't be held responsible for it just like the police can't be held responsible for failing to protect the public from said criminals.

I will usually lock handguns in a safe when I leave the house. Yes they are also locked in the house, but I don't really want to lose them if I can avoid it. Yes the safes can be breached, but I assume theives are going to be in a hurry and the cost/benefit analysis of taking the time (cost) of breaching a safe vs. the potential benefit (might just be worthless paperwork) they are going to go for the low hanging fruit. Sometimes I will just hide it somehwere though. I also worry that if it is just some stupid nieghborhood kid gone awry--Even though he is a criminal, I would feel bad if a kid were injured due to youthful stupidity because I left a something out where they could easilly access it.

This is irresponsible!!! you are telling us you have a safe but leave a loaded gun in a nightstand unattended!! Think about that!!

What is wrong with that? You lock your doors and generally secure the house when you are away? It is in your house and as long as everyone who has access to the house is a responsible adult and knows about the gun, I do not see a problem. They are locked up inside a big safe called my house, with the presumption of security. The only reason I try to put mine in a safe is one extra layer of protection against loss. If you are willing to assume the risk of loss (e.g. that risk may be very low based on your location, and other security measures) I do not see that it is an issue.

When my house was burglarized, the thief was inside for less than 4 minutes..he managed to clean out both mine and the wife's jewelery boxes, grab some magazines that were on the dresser, AND go through every top drawer (Netting $3K in cash, that said Wife Never told me she'd taken out of the bank). These Shittums know ALL of the "Normal" hiding spots. If he hadnt seen the Radio car pull up on the block behind mine, and gone out the door immediately he would have been caught inside the house....ONLY because an alert neighbor noticed him climbing through my bedroom window, and called the PD.

I have. It's my house. I have no kids. I lock my house when I leave. I can do any damn thing I please.