alec.mc

3/17/13 - OBRPC - REAL DEAL STEEL

Anyone know if it's cool for someone (myself) to come and watch or do you need to be member/guest?

I'm a new shooter so not ready to take part but would like to see what one of these events is like. If the weather holds out I might even be able to show up ealry and lend a hand with set up if needed.

Anyone know if it's cool for someone (myself) to come and watch or do you need to be member/guest?

I'm a new shooter so not ready to take part but would like to see what one of these events is like. If the weather holds out I might even be able to show up ealry and lend a hand with set up if needed.

come and shoot, bring a 22 if your nervous about embarssing yourself

It's a public event, bring a gun to shoot that your comfortable with, there will also be a begginers class / clinic for "obrams" ( practical shooting type moving and shooting ) on sat as well, check the thread.

Dave, show up, bring your gun, eyes and ears, and 200 or more rounds of ammo, or as many as you are willing to shoot.

No matter how bad you think you might do, you are going to have fun doing it. Steel is a great place for a new shooter to start, and if you are squadded with these knobs, you are definately in for a good time.

We shoot at 3 to 5 steel plates. Sometimes we shoot 2 of them twice, then the final plate once. Anyway, if you don't miss you will take 5 shots each time, and we do that five times, the worst time is dropped. So, if you only have two mags it could be an issue. Not sure if the rules state you can only load 10 rounds in them at a time or not. With two mags and 10 rounds each, you could certainly run the plates four times. You can usually get someones help to reload a mag while you are using the other one.

Please enlighten me Ray.

although IDPA isn't technically defensive training, it's better than USPSA in that regards

USPSA teaches you bad habits, while using non defensive firearms, shooting at targets that don't exhist while wearing gear you wouldn't use to defend your family and clothes that nobody would wear to ANYWHERE.

Ray's points are valid.

Frank, to give an example, in IDPA you are penalized if you drop a magazine that still contains rounds, the theory being you may need that round later. As well, you are penalized if you reload while "in the open." They want you to reload behind cover.

Engagement of targets can be different. Where USPSA requires 2 shots per, and they don't necessarily care which order, there are IDPA stages where you are required to engage the target in order of threat. Using the example of T1, T2 and T3, with T1 being closest but presenting the least threat (assume due to a barricade) you would be required to engage T3, T2 and then T1. They also have conditions where they require you to engage targets wtih 1 shot at a time meaning T3 (1 round) T2 (1 round) T1 (2 rounds) T2 (1 round) and finishing back at T3.

IDPA takes an approach of real life combate or gun battle scenario's; something a person with CCW might encounter. They require you to wear a cover garment and your gun and magazines must be at belt line or behind. No wearing 4 magazines across your belly.

These rules and situations are counter intuitive to USPSA and the one time I shot IDPA my head exploded. lol