7-3-2

45 acp ... 1911 vs Polymer

Hey guys,

Another one of my brain picking posts where I am trying to gain some insight on my next purchase. Because the lovely Edison PD has taken waaaay too long to give me my pistol permit I have gone from being set on a 357 to a CCW 9mm to now considering my first 45 pistol. I love the value of the SR1911 commander but have also grown partial towards polymer guns like my M&P and others. So I am asking the NJgunforums.com community what they would suggest for a first purchase in 45 ACP? IMO 1911's are beautiful but is that where the advantages stop?

Biggest difference that doesnt involve personal preference is capacity. You can argue reliability and performance history of newer polymers but if its a range toy who cares? If its for HD having more than 50%+ more cap would be a selling point in a gun

Also.. are you trying to break the forums by starting a 1911 vs poly war? :)

If I were carrying a pistol around every day, I'd want something that's as light as possible, and that would mean plastic. But if you plan to stay in New Jersey, and aren't planning to become a LEO, it's not not very likely to happen.

I find I'm somewhat more accurate shooting a heavier pistol. For HD, I'd suggest a shotgun. (Just don't go out on your balcony and discharge it at the neighbor's house like Joe Biden recommended!)

If I were carrying a pistol around every day, I'd want something that's as light as possible, and that would mean plastic. But if you plan to stay in New Jersey, and aren't planning to become a LEO, it's not not very likely to happen.

I find I'm somewhat more accurate shooting a heavier pistol. For HD, I'd suggest a shotgun. (Just don't go out on your balcony and discharge it at the neighbor's house like Joe Biden recommended!)

For HD, I agree. A 12 guage is an excellent choice. I'm not crazy about the vp's idea of shooting it off the balcony, I prefer his other idea of firing two rounds through the front door.

As far as plastic vs steel, I definitely prefer steel. The heavier gun has less perceived recoil making follow up shots much more accurate. If it were me, I would choose another 1911 but, I seem to be developing some sort of 1911 disease. If you have concerns about the reliability of 1911's, check out the Sig p220 or the new p227 double stack .45.

please take what I say for exactly what you paid for it which is nothing. As a first choice I would go with a plastic gun 9 millimeter. There are so many great options available in polymer guns right now it is staggering. The selections styles and choices. Glock 19 is one of my all time favorite and is an absolutely fantastic first choice. G19 give you capacity, firepower, accuracy, reliability customization options and a really great starting price.

1911 come with a much higher starting price except for The Rock Islands, a great choice. The 1911s are also more a intermediate to expert gun in that shot placement trigger reset safety use need to be trained with. There are also huge options and differences in 1911 that you may not realize it or be be aware of and you may spend a great deal more money on them until you figure out exactly what you like... I am your case study in this regard.

one good example is that I really need to have the top finger cut out under the trigger guard for me to be able to accurately and quickly perform follow up shots. if a 1911 does not have that finger cut I am I am not as quick or as accurate because it effects me greater. How do I know that.... it took me four different 1911 before I finally figured it out.

+1 for the Glock... I would be looking for a Glock 30S.

Or get a Smith& Wesson 625 and master that trigger.

If you already like S&W M&P, why not one in .45 ACP? The trigger isn't as nice as the 9mm, but its not too bad.

+1 for the Glock... I would be looking for a Glock 30S.

Or get a Smith& Wesson 625 and master that trigger.

If you already like S&W M&P, why not one in .45 ACP? The trigger isn't as nice as the 9mm, but its not too bad.

Honestly I do like my M&P 9 but I'm bot sure I want two of the same gun honestly, probably just for aesthetics more or less and the fact that I think learning to be efficient with different platforms is probably important.

You don't have to sacrifice capacity for 45 between polymer and 1911. You can get a para 14/45. Does both. Honestly you will wind up with both polymer guns and 1911's. I say keep the 45 in revolver and 1911's. get. Did you say you have an M & P 9. If so get the 45 in the 1911 platform

Depends what you are going to use it for....I love 1911s, I have 3 of them and a 4th on order...But on the otherhand the XDs i purchased gave me a new respect for plastic. Man, ergenomic, accurate 45 (this is their pocket pistol), reliable. I also have an XD-Competition on layaway...

On the other hand, a heavy steel gun will make you shoot better all things equal. And 1911's have all that history and that means something to me...

I also would avoid cheep 1911's - these guns can be tempermental...So if you want that 1911 - go with quality - say a Kimber (or other in that 1500$ range)...

So what you will use it for.

Have your cake and eat it too. Buy a polymer framed RRA 1911 :icon_mrgreen:

not to get off topic here, but you ever see one in person? not that Ive been actively searching, but i wanted to feel one in hand

i shoot a XDm .45 compact, wanted the versatility it gave me. Wifey shoots a stainless 1911. she likes heavier guns

everyone says 1911 disassemble is a pain, but i don't think its all that bad and i get stuck with all cleaning duty in this household. that being said it is way faster to do mine. i dont think id want to cary her gun, things heavy, but it is a beautiful shooting weapon.

its said theres only two types of people in this world, those that have a 1911 and those that want one. i just borrow hers to keep the urge down.

please take what I say for exactly what you paid for it which is nothing. As a first choice I would go with a plastic gun 9 millimeter. There are so many great options available in polymer guns right now it is staggering. The selections styles and choices. Glock 19 is one of my all time favorite and is an absolutely fantastic first choice. G19 give you capacity, firepower, accuracy, reliability customization options and a really great starting price.

1911 come with a much higher starting price except for The Rock Islands, a great choice. The 1911s are also more a intermediate to expert gun in that shot placement trigger reset safety use need to be trained with. There are also huge options and differences in 1911 that you may not realize it or be be aware of and you may spend a great deal more money on them until you figure out exactly what you like... I am your case study in this regard.

one good example is that I really need to have the top finger cut out under the trigger guard for me to be able to accurately and quickly perform follow up shots. if a 1911 does not have that finger cut I am I am not as quick or as accurate because it effects me greater. How do I know that.... it took me four different 1911 before I finally figured it out.

THIS ^^^^^^^ very good advice. I too am new to firearms and I started off wanting a 9mm and then jumped to wanting a 1911 45 cal. I saw some barely used Kimbers for the same price of a new Sig or H&K. I went with a 9mm first for two reasons, ammo cost and shooting comfort. A 45 packs a wallop when fired and I think can discourage new shooters and accuracy as well. A 1911 has the punch and fires much differently. I plan to use my guns for target practice and range shooting so a 9mm made more sense to me to start with. Now being said, I will one day be adding a .45 1911 to my inventory for sure but only when I get comfortable handling a "baby gun" like the 9mm then I will have the confidence to use a 45.

I acquired 4 permits and my handgun purchases the next 6 months will probably will go as follows... 9mm, 40 cal possibly M&P, Glock or Sig, revolver probably 357/38 Smith, and a .45 cal possibly being a 1911. Keep in mind that I have changed my mind hundreds of time while waiting for my permits to come in. :huh:

I love the 1911 its a beautiful gun. I just bought a used dan wesson. It does take some time to get used too . Next on the list is a colt commander 1911. I guess I like the weight in my hands at the range. But I do agree if it was a duty gun, it would have to be a compact or partial polymer because of the weight. I ended up geti g laser grips and I'm getting used to them too

The 1911 is a great pistol and I would look at something like a Springfield Rangemaster or an STI Spartan. The 1911 takes maintainence and an understanding of how the gun works in order for it to function reliably. If you are not willing to maintain the 1911 properly then I would look at a polymer 45acp like the XD, M&P, Glock or HK45. These guns really can be run for a long stretch of time without cleaning or lubing properly at regular intervals.

Well I think the consensus here is plastic if just for home defense. A Glock is cheaper than most 1911s and probably more reliable. That said I have a Glock G22 which holds 15+1 rounds of .40 cal ammo. Does not jam and packs just about as much punch as .45 acp. I also have a Kimber 1911 in .45 acp and love it - but the Glock is the HD gun while the Kimber is for fun punching holes in paper at the range. The heavy 1911 does a much better job of controlling recoil as much of it is absorbed by the gun's own mass.

Now if it were only legal in NJ, here would be the perfect Glock:

541637_383071728473642_826193806_n.jpg