matty

Column about why we don't (and shouldn't) trust anti-gun people [LONG]

"... the reason we can’t have a rational gun debate is because the anti-gun side pre-supposes that their pro-gun opponents must first accept that guns are bad in order to have a discussion about guns in the first place. Before we even start the conversation, we’re the bad guys and we have to admit it."

Nailed it.

"... the reason we can’t have a rational gun debate is because the anti-gun side pre-supposes that their pro-gun opponents must first accept that guns are bad in order to have a discussion about guns in the first place. Before we even start the conversation, we’re the bad guys and we have to admit it."

Nailed it.

+1

I emailed the author just to say "good job". Got a reply that he's received dozens of positive emails and only two negative. As he said in his email. "Maybe that's telling."

Emailed him as well, waiting for a response. Great article!

An excellent and balanced article with pertinent points.....I've already received 2 positive comments when I posted it on FB. Thanks matty for the link.

Ditto the above. I wrote him, something I have never done before in my life, and told him that except for the part about civil war late in the article, he nailed it. Minus that part, I'd love to read that in our NJ newspapers.

...except for the part about civil war late in the article, he nailed it. Minus that part, I'd love to read that in our NJ newspapers.

I thought the same thing. Great article, slightly marred by his reference to potential civil war.

I sent him a congratulatory note on a well done pc of journalism and he responded to me with the following.The NYT is a ref to a sarcastic remark I made about looking forward to seeing it in the NY Times:

Thank you for your kind words. You'll be happy to know that I've only received two negative e-mails out of several hundred total (and they keep rolling in!). I think there's a positive message in there for us somewhere...

As for getting it published in the NYT, I wish I could! I don't have those resources though. The only possibility is if somehow enough people tweeted and e-mailed it to them, and to all the conservative and liberal talking heads and news shows, until it got national attention. That's obviously not something I can do though. That's up to you and everyone else, haha.

Keep up the good fight; no one of us can do it alone. If you ever want to get ahold of me again in the future, please use my ISU address, [email protected], as I'm not sure how much longer I'll have access to this one.

All the best,

--

Barry B. Snell

Assistant Opinion Editor and Recruitment Manager

Iowa State Daily

www.iowastatedaily.com

[email protected]

563-506-3600