iRescue

Pick my next smartphone.

Currently have the Samsung Note 2.

Way too big. Dropped it and cracked the screen.

Have upgrade available..

Looking at:

HTC One

iPhone 5

Or wait until next iPhone comes out in Sept.

If you were in my position... What would you do?

I'm a fan of the iphone. I've had them since the 3g, and I always jailbreak them and put lots of cool features on them. I even developed simple apps. It's great. Couldn't get into android because the platforms are so diverse, it's just impossible to develop for (though that's improving). But there's not much you can't do with your i, once you get past the tricky keyboard.

I'm a fan of the iphone. I've had them since the 3g, and I always jailbreak them and put lots of cool features on them. I even developed simple apps. It's great. Couldn't get into android because the platforms are so diverse, it's just impossible to develop for (though that's improving). But there's not much you can't do with your i, once you get past the tricky keyboard.

Once you know Java, developing with the Android SDK is a breeze. What is painful is QA testing since there are a bazillion devices running Android.

I develop for both iOS and Android, I even have a few apps in the app store and google play. 

iPhone 5s and 6 are coming this year. Anytime between June and September I hear. I'm holding onto my 4 an upgrade option till the new one comes... Probably the best choice I think. I also have a droid and its a piece- first and last droid I will own.

What are the specs you're looking for?

Galaxy s4 is great. Big screen, expandable memory, user replaceable battery, fast processor. Only 16gb onboard, of which about 8gb are free. At&t has 32gb version available.

IPhone is good if you want to make sure you can get every app and accessory.

HTC one has 32gb onboard. Nice metal housing. New camera technology.

I am currently on ATT.

I don't particularly mind downgrading screen size since the note was simply too damn big.

I use my phone mostly for:

Calls & texts

Email

Social media

Tapatalk

Some content consumption (pulse)

Most used camera.

I rarely play games, watch movies or download music onto the device. I do subscribe to Spotify for my music needs.

While I appreciate the S4 specs, this plastic construction is what put me into this predicament. Small drop shattered the glass.

HTC One, iPhone 5 now.... Or wait until next iPhone... Tough call

Ok.. now that I am at a PC....

If you liked your Note 2 but want a smaller phone, get the HTC One or the S4.

For a communications device, I have a Blackberry Z10 which i really like.... perfect size between the new bricks and the iphone 5.

I also got an iphone 5 for a business that needed a seperate phone line.  The phone is great form factor, it really is, and what is nice is the ecosystem, there are more apps that I would ever need and most business apps I use are on the iphone.

It is a communications device, however it is not really great for browsing because of screen size.

If you already use a tablet, like an Ipad.... get the iphone.  If you do not use one, then stick with an HTC One or S4 or get another Note 2 that has a bigger screen.  Sorry to say, get a good freaking case.  Screens break, no matter which phones.  Durability wise... love the blackberry.

Nokia Lumia 920. Solid phone and gets great reviews. If I were to upgrade tomorrow it's what I would grab with zero hesitation. I love me some Windows Phones.

i had an 8x.... replaced it with blackberry.  The windows os is intuitive.... but damn, that thing suffered from issues.  It restarted every day due to crashes.

It seems silly to debate so much over it, but I literally have my phone on me or within arms length 24/7/365.

While I love Android and it's ability to be customized - iphone is more of a simplistic setup.

I think I may go iphone and nexus 7 combo. I can use Google service like maps, chrome and Gmail on the tablet and do everything else on the iPhone.

What do you guys think?

i had an 8x.... replaced it with blackberry.  The windows os is intuitive.... but damn, that thing suffered from issues.  It restarted every day due to crashes.

Interesting. I'm running an older 7.5 Mango OS at the moment. Very stable and have only had one or two hard crashes in the year or so that I've had it. Only thing I wish it had more of was apps and some better hardware. Shame you had bad luck with yours.

Interesting. I'm running an older 7.5 Mango OS at the moment. Very stable and have only had one or two hard crashes in the year or so that I've had it. Only thing I wish it had more of was apps and some better hardware. Shame you had bad luck with yours.

So I have heard, the new one, issues issues issues.  Check out the windows 8 phone forums... issues gallore.

I did like the tiles and that a lot of companies came out with solid apps for it, but major issues with reliability.  Also, a few stupid things i had issues with that were blatantly missing from the software...

The camera translator was awesome to have though!

I have an Iphone5 and love it. But I recently have been playing with a colleague's Galaxy 4... Sucker is awesome. I can't say I really had bad experiences with the iphone5, but Apple has a couple of downfalls that piss me off. The main one is their browsers do not support Flash and are sketchy on certain Java. Jobs really ticked me off when he publicly said that Adobe is not worthy of being on my products. He was a stickler for keeping his code clean, but WTF... A lot of sites use Flash.... Then he said, you want to surf the net, get a laptop of desktop and his phones are not meant to be used strictly for the internet... Another WTF... Fugg'em. So as much as Apple has a solid OS and their puters are top notch, I don't feel their OS deserves to be in the smartphone category. IMHO of course.

For a communications device, I have a Blackberry Z10 which i really like.... perfect size between the new bricks and the iphone 5.

Sad to say, but RIM is circling the drain. Watch them become a software company in a few years. They are already releasing BBM for Android and iOS. Next it will be a BES app, and then game over for hardware.

Their hardware is boring anyway. Their tablet was a complete flop in a time when tablets are the hottest thing around. I carry a curve for work but I only use it for work stuff. 

iPhone is fantastic if you don't tinker. I have had every model since the first. Bought the HTc one a few weeks ago to check it out and after the first day a swore it was going back and then a rooted it. It's a hell of a lot harder freeing up,an android than jail breaking and iPhone. In the end I kept the HTC because I was able to customize it to exactly what I wanted. It's also very nicely built unlike Samsung plastic crap. In short, if your into tweaking get the HTC one, if not iPhone!

Sounds like you need this:

http://www.otterbox.com/defender-series/defender-series,default,pg.html

I am terrible when it comes to dropping phones.  My S3 has survived several large drops and still works fine.  Best $50 investment I've made.

I argee with Maks with the choices he gave.  The BlackBerry 10 is a great device and satisfies my constant need for e-mail in an "Outlook" clone format.  In addition, it has full browser ability, pictures and the usual add-on's.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone.  It does everything I need when I am away from my array of laptops and then some.  Once I got the Android phone I could see why Apple and Samsung went to court over the apps.  Some are the same except for the shape of the icon!