Pythagoras

Zimmerman found not guilty

Is that true in Florida? I think the only federal law is 21 to purchase from an FFL. I know you can own handguns at 18 in PA because that is our state law. I always assumed there were states that you could own a handgun younger.

Must be 21 to purchase from an FFL per federal law, 18 to own in certain states. So you would have to be gifted the firearm, or purchase privately. That's been my understanding.

i guess you didn't read my post. i admitted that i didn't follow the trial closely. so maybe there were no laws broken, but i'll expand on my personal opinion in a minute. also, these kind of snide remarks filled with negativity are the reason i don't get on here much anymore. whats the point of sticking together if we keep attacking one another?

let me ask you this then. your on the neighborhood watch program and you happen to see a drug deal go down in your little gated community. not your every day thing right? do you follow the dealer? what if you happened to see his piece sticking out of the waste band? still following? ok so lets say you follow him and he gets into a car with 3 of his buddys in it? still following? even with a ccw your an IDIOT if you followed after any of these stages.

ccw, you have a gun in case he comes at you... but your being a stupid vigilante if you think following him is a good idea. why the F would you put yourself at risk? keep an eye on him from where you are..

i'm not even going to bother going further some will side with me others won't either way the negativity on this board will not change.

That does not define a vigilante... merely observing and reporting..

If someone is selling drugs and carrying guns in my neighborhood i would think it is even more important to at the very least try and follow them and get enough info to the police to find and arrest them.. Your already at risk having these people in your neighborhood.... you think doing nothing is going to keep you safe? You either proactively put yourself at risk and try and make your community better, or retroactively put yourself at risk every day living in that neighborhood with drug dealing gang bangers... your at risk no matter how you look at it.

Must be 21 to purchase from an FFL per federal law, 18 to own in certain states. So you would have to be gifted the firearm, or purchase privately. That's been my understanding.

You are correct. Certain states, like Florida, have the law at age 18 for private transfers. Trayvon was 17. Further investigation of the matter could possibly prove Trayvon to be a felon.

That does not define a vigilante... merely observing and reporting..

If someone is selling drugs and carrying guns in my neighborhood i would think it is even more important to at the very least try and follow them and get enough info to the police to find and arrest them.. Your already at risk having these people in your neighborhood.... you think doing nothing is going to keep you safe? You either proactively put yourself at risk and try and make your community better, or retroactively put yourself at risk every day living in that neighborhood with drug dealing gang bangers... your at risk no matter how you look at it.

you are right vigilante was not the correct word. i am not, however, saying that one should do nothing, just that actively following is probably not the best idea in the world. i'm sure you understand my hesitancy to say 'call the police' with how some people will respond to that on this board (and yes, i know zimmerman did call them). i'm also speaking as a husband and a father. my family comes before anything - period. there are other things i can do to stop bangers from being in my neighborhood than following them, even if its just to have a location and description for the police. what good does it do my family if i'm killed?

for those who are inevitably going to say "what good does it do your family to have bangers on your street?" lets have a simple lesson in common sense: i can do other things to fix the banger situation... i can't fix being dead.

What possible good could have come from following someone in the rain at night?

I'd follow someone in the rain at night if I thought there was reasonable suspicion that a crime was going to be committed. Maybe that makes me an exception but I'll tell you this... Cops don't stop crime. They respond after the fact in most cases. (Not all and I'm not bashing... I'm a former cop myself) Regular citizens stop crime everyday. If more people stood up for themselves and their neighbors criminals would think twice.

That being said whether this "kid" was a "thug" or not doesn't change what happened. Yes, he was innocent in walking back to his Father's home but he decided to stop and turn around to go after GZ. He made that choice. He paid the price and so did George in my own opinion.

When I lived on Ocean City I was smoking a cigarette on my back deck when I heard noise in a neighbors yard. It was some white guy trying to break in to his shed. Did I tuck my balls between my legs and retreat? Nope! I opened my door and told my wife to call the cops and then I confronted him. He had the balls to tell me to be quiet before running away. I wasn't armed but it still could have ended badly. Do you consider that a poor decision? Was I wrong for standing for my neighbors. If you think so maybe your part of the problem or maybe I thought Americans stood their ground but was wrong.

When I lived on Ocean City I was smoking a cigarette on my back deck when I heard noise in a neighbors yard. It was some white guy trying to break in to his shed. Did I tuck my balls between my legs and retreat? Nope! I opened my door and told my wife to call the cops and then I confronted him. He had the balls to tell me to be quiet before running away. I wasn't armed but it still could have ended badly. Do you consider that a poor decision? Was I wrong for standing for my neighbors. If you think so maybe your part of the problem or maybe I thought Americans stood their ground but was wrong.

I do think that was a poor decision, especially being unarmed. Like acuevo mentioned above you, calling the cops is good, as it can help get the bad guys out of there. If that burglar was armed and had balls, or perhaps was simply looking for a fight and retaliated, you could be dead. I like my neighbors, but their personal possessions are NOT worth dying for.

i consider that a very poor decision if you weren't armed. stupid even. if your balls are bigger than your brain maybe thats another one of americas problems. i understand you wanted to help your neighbor which is fine... but again, what if you were killed? i don't think there is anything wrong with dying a hero, but if you died a hero because you were stupid thats your own fault.

I'd follow someone in the rain at night if I thought there was reasonable suspicion that a crime was going to be committed. Maybe that makes me an exception but I'll tell you this... Cops don't stop crime. They respond after the fact in most cases. (Not all and I'm not bashing... I'm a former cop myself) Regular citizens stop crime everyday. If more people stood up for themselves and their neighbors criminals would think twice.

That being said whether this "kid" was a "thug" or not doesn't change what happened. Yes, he was innocent in walking back to his Father's home but he decided to stop and turn around to go after GZ. He made that choice. He paid the price and so did George in my own opinion.

Hoo rah .. We need this in our neighborhoods.. Ppl taking responsiblity for our safety.. If someone comes to rob and the neighborhoods resident stop them all the time eventually criminals will get the point... And leave sed neighborhood alone..

i consider that a very poor decision if you weren't armed. stupid even. if your balls are bigger than your brain maybe thats another one of americas problems. i understand you wanted to help your neighbor which is fine... but again, what if you were killed? i don't think there is anything wrong with dying a hero, but if you died a hero because you were stupid thats your own fault.

America was built by the big balled three percent dont forget that... And fortune favors the brave..

What do you think this Country was built on? The blood, sweat, and tears of Americans fighting for their neighbors! Maybe you need a history lesson here or maybe you didn't feel a need to serve your country like I have but its people like me that keep people like you safe everyday!

I would gladly die if it meant that someone else's innocent life wasn't taken by the hand of a criminal. My family would mourn but my sons would know that their father was a man, an American, and a Patriot.

America was built by the big balled three percent dont forget that... And fortune favors the brave..

your right the founders of America had huge balls. but they also weren't stupid enough to fight the british in a nice straight line in the middle of a field where they could all be picked off quite easily. the minute men didn't play by the rules of war, they hid behind trees, staged ambushes and fought with their balls AND their brains.

If teachers in Newton stood up and tackled the shooter would they be stupid for not letting the police handle it? Would you not give your own life for a child? Any child?

When did our Country become so courage less. It would be an honor to die if it spared the life of a child. If you don't get that I'm sorry but in not the one in the wrong.

What do you think this Country was built on? The blood, sweat, and tears of Americans fighting for their neighbors! Maybe you need a history lesson here or maybe you didn't feel a need to serve your country like I have but its people like me that keep people like you safe everyday!

I would gladly die if it meant that someone else's innocent life wasn't taken by the hand of a criminal. My family would mourn but my sons would know that their father was a man, an American, and a Patriot.

apparently people only read the first 4 or 5 words of every post i write. stupid if you were unarmed, which by your own admission, you were. so you're going to walk up to someone that's committing a crime unarmed and just stop him with your blood sweat and tears?? sorry but me? i'm going to tell him to knock it off and i'll have bullets to back me up if need be.

my apologies if anyone perceived me as out of line.

being attacked like the people from newton is a completely different scenario than possibly instigating an altercation by making contact with an unknown individual who is committing a crime.

i've said my piece and obviously its not understood by everyone so i'm going to end it here.

Obama has spoken...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/14/Obama-Responds-to-Zimmerman-Verdict-Stem-the-Tide-of-Gun-Violence

A summary of what he said, paraphrased by me:

The jurors have spoken, and so if I criticize the decision, I'll be opening a new can of worms, so I'll just not say anything about that to make it look like I want to preserve the time honored traditions and respect of our legal system. Also, please don't riot like mad men. Instead, direct your energy to push gun control!

There's always political opportunity behind every event, it seems...

Apparently the Judge, in her infinite wisdom, left an order in placing shielding their identities and protecting their privacy and Her Honor made a comment reminding of it and that she would be personally holding anyone who violates Her Honors Court's ruling (ie reporting them anyway) in big trouble mister.

From what I understand, when I watched the verdict being read, the judge instructed the jury that they were free to talk about the case now and give interviews. Why they would do that though is beyond me.

Cause people are stupid Steve.

From what I understand, when I watched the verdict being read, the judge instructed the jury that they were free to talk about the case now and give interviews. Why they would do that though is beyond me.

Because relocating and paying for security is going to cost some money.

Trayvon made a huge mistake that night. 

He himself could have called 911 and said he was being followed.  He had a cell phone.  His jungle mentality kick in and he made a decision to fight.  When he decided to fight, candy and Ice tea no longer had anything to do with this. 

As threatening as is it to have figurative online threats of the looting and rioting (MULTIPLE news outlets had LARGE Feeds from twitter showing how everyone was so excited to go loot and riot and steal, with Best Buy and Walmart the 1 and 1A preferred destinations BY FAR), the large amount of literal and figurative threats to Zimmerman and his family ,and the other lesser in numbers but most serious threats like above, people looking to "Get Whitey" for this... Now sure, it would be terrible for rioting and loss of property, economic stability/prosperity in your business and livelihood, and of course life and limb etc.

BUT BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, Because we could wake up one day next week and read the news, just the same, with 1, 10, 100+ Honest, hard working, regular joe citizens who Defended their castle and or stood their ground and shot dead rioters/assaulters/thiefs/etc.  

*and then* you will see some real 'debate' online on WHAT THE ISSUE(S) really IS/Are.  Cause it ain't George Zimmerman, no matter how many times how many people parrot it back.

This is a girl Ive known for 15 years. I've known her husband atleat 12. Good honest people.

vemuhegu.jpg

the easiest way to avoid problems is to not go places where you are likely to find trash... I gave up on AC a long time ago... it is a real shit hole...