KevD

A man was just getting robbed in front of my house....

The weapon wasnt visible it was inside the window the whole time ... And i guess your right about impersonated but maybe i wouldnt have to impersonate if the police were more present in this neighborhood.. When 911 tells me no one is in immediate danger then theres a serious problem with the system ..

Wow......   agreed....

Now you want more cops. Everybody cries that there are too many cops who make to much who get treated special and now you want more police presence. Can't have it both ways. Newark is a shithole. There are higher priorities than an assault in the past. No immediate danger gets pushed further down the list. I am sure there were far more pressing crimes happening elsewhere in Newark at that moment. Sad but true.

It really does not matter what you say here as long as there are no credible witnesses, your are not under oath here and you can always say you were just full of crap and it is not true.  I can tell people how I killed 35 people in Montana and cut them each up into 1,000 parts and flushed them down the crapper 8 years ago and it really does not matter.

Now you want more cops. Everybody cries that there are too many cops who make to much who get treated special and now you want more police presence. Can't have it both ways. Newark is a shithole. There are higher priorities than an assault in the past. No immediate danger gets pushed further down the list. I am sure there were far more pressing crimes happening elsewhere in Newark at that moment. Sad but true.

dont forget to check the other thread where cops are described as oppressers and an occupation force and are all to present in current times.. That was a good one

Newark is supposed to have a police force of about 2000. Right now we have 800. ECPO is down to about 40 people when they need 120, EC Sheriffs is down in numbers too.

I'm hoping that I'll be selected from the list for the next class.

To all the police on the forum.. I dont hate cops (the good ones) and i never said i want less cops.. I have alot of great freinds that are cops here in newark.. They are stand up guys a few of them have been in serious shoot outs and gotten hit and also wounded and arrested the criminals firing on them i admire and respect them ... And i have always donated to the FOP and have advocated there being more police in the ironbound section.. But i just want them to know there enemy .. If they cant see the difference between there enemies and there freinds theres a real problem ... And there has to be accountability.. Im the type of guy that if im in the street and i see one cop handling two criminals ill hang around till his back up shows up just in case not that im batman but i think citizens need to step up alittle an take responsibilty for our neighborhoods and if police are helping they deserve our help in return...

To all the police on the forum.. I dont hate cops (the good ones) and i never said i want less cops.. I have alot of great freinds that are cops here in newark.. They are stand up guys a few of them have been in serious shoot outs and gotten hit and also wounded and arrested the criminals firing on them i admire and respect them ... And i have always donated to the FOP and have advocated there being more police in the ironbound section.. But i just want them to know there enemy .. If they cant see the difference between there enemies and there freinds theres a real problem ... And there has to be accountability.. Im the type of guy that if im in the street and i see one cop handling two criminals ill hang around till his back up shows up just in case not that im batman but i think citizens need to step up alittle an take responsibilty for our neighborhoods and if police are helping they deserve our help in return...

i respect the fact that youve stepped up a did something in your neighborhood to stop a wrong.. Rather than film it and put it on youtube as some people nwould probably do.. And also respect you for the fact that you would stick around and help a cop who was outnumbered.. Again most others would break out the phone cam and film away.. I myself have been helped by bystanders when things got hairy and thats something I'll never forget.. Ive also had a situation responding into a building when upon arrival i had the contents of a lit charcoal grill dumped on my head from the 3rd floor fire escape from people who thought of me as a piece of garbage

BTW, I don't envy the cops working in Newark and there is no way they can be everywhere at once, nor should they be. However I do believe Newark is lost because not enough people in town care. So what do I advised you move? Because not enough people care, and the few left that do are not enough. If 6 of your neighbors came out and stopped the mugging I'd say stay and work on your community. When you are the only one, it might just be too little to late.

To jrfly3006, man I'm glad to hear that you get bystander help, the problem that concerns me is that if I did try to assist an officer it might be viewed as a threat instead of help under certain circumstances.  I know lots of you patrol bad area by yourselves so you might appreciate a hand, but how do you recommend random person presents himself to both be helpful and at the same time not give you the headache of thinking you have a potential second troublemaker. I'm serious, I want to know what would work just in case it ever comes up.

... Ive also had a situation responding into a building when upon arrival i had the contents of a lit charcoal grill dumped on my head from the 3rd floor fire escape from people who thought of me as a piece of garbage

Thats some medievel shit... Some ppl are animals..

To jrfly3006, man I'm glad to hear that you get bystander help, the problem that concerns me is that if I did try to assist an officer it might be viewed as a threat instead of help under certain circumstances. I know lots of you patrol bad area by yourselves so you might appreciate a hand, but how do you recommend random person presents himself to both be helpful and at the same time not give you the headache of thinking you have a potential second troublemaker. I'm serious, I want to know what would work just in case it ever comes up.

I think its common sense keep your distance unless you are really needed.. I always have pepper spray so if i see a cop that is getting punched and struggling to aprehend multiple assailants i would use the spray its effective and nonlethal... Just gotta mind the wind ( very important)

BTW, I don't envy the cops working in Newark and there is no way they can be everywhere at once, nor should they be. However I do believe Newark is lost because not enough people in town care. So what do I advised you move? Because not enough people care, and the few left that do are not enough. If 6 of your neighbors came out and stopped the mugging I'd say stay and work on your community. When you are the only one, it might just be too little to late.

To jrfly3006, man I'm glad to hear that you get bystander help, the problem that concerns me is that if I did try to assist an officer it might be viewed as a threat instead of help under certain circumstances.  I know lots of you patrol bad area by yourselves so you might appreciate a hand, but how do you recommend random person presents himself to both be helpful and at the same time not give you the headache of thinking you have a potential second troublemaker. I'm serious, I want to know what would work just in case it ever comes up.

Vlad all I can say since every situation is different the first thing would be to yourself or direct someone to call 911 and tell them where you are, whats going on and a description of all involved including yourself.. The cop involved may never had the chance to call it in, second the call allows the backup to know where to go, and who is the perp and who is helping.. If you decide to physically help all I can say is to very loudly announce to the officer that youre here to help, numerous times.. If the officer is able he may ask you to do something specific.. If hes unable due to injury or other then its your call to do what feel you need to do.. When backup arrives I would advise to just back off with hands away from your body and let them dictate whats next... Whether a bystander helps or not is up to them and I wouldnt expect anyone to put themselves in harms way to help .. But damn it is nice knowing there are those that would help me get home at night

We all do what we have to do to defend ourselves (and innocents) in this state. The law is so convuluted and ridiculous here regarding firearms that it would require a course in college to understand it all. The only legal thing you could have done was yell that you were calling 911. Would it been just as effective? Who knows. I probably would have done something similar to what you did, except saying "I have a gun, leave or I will fire". If someone is getting beat by a group of thugs I am not going to think of how NJ laws are going to rape me later. Hopefully they would run like they did for you otherwise I would have to show I wasn't bluffing. Thankfully nothing like that happens in my town.

As for the more police comment. I think he meant it in a way that says, "this state won't allow me to protect myself or my family, but then will not have enough cops to protect me itself... so what am I to do?"

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

I bet if you would have told the 911 operator tha you yelled you were newark police, they woulda sent someone over to charge you... how dare you take vigilante justice into your own hands... lol I agree that what you did was smart (what you said may have been dumb but heat of the moment, i get it!)  Simply yelling that the cops were on their way would have scared them off... in this state I would jsut be careful about what you yell... your gun should have nothign to do with this regarless of if it was seen or not... maybe they saw your kids toy gun, maybe they saw you cleaning your gun... OR MAYBE YOUR AMERICAN AND WERE FEARFUL FOR YOUR PROPERTY AND FAMILY AND DEFENDED IT... lol i hate nj, good job just careful what you admit to...

Kev... I like how you helped out a stranger in need because too often many would just watch and keep quiet. Regardless of what anyone here or anywhere else says, my opinion (not fact) is that you did the right thing.

Thanks frank ..

Am i wrong for opening the window and yelling ... I had my 45 in my hand and yelled newark police... Is this wrong? There was 8 guys guys slapping him around ... Call me stupid but its hard to watch and not try to help.... After i yelled the guys ran and there was one girl with them ... I called 911 and i said there was a guys in front of my house getting robbed and they said is anyone in immediate danger and i said not exactly the thieves ran so they said call a different number its not an emergency.... Thoughts? .. Or should i not be asking this ...

Good for you for doing the right think; Said for our system where being robed is BAU and not an emergancy.

Sorry your right i should have posted on what color socks to buy or another zimmerman post right?

Or which 1911 to buy (cheeze almost every week ;-)). - You did the right thing Bro...That is one of the reasons this country has gone down the shiter, people being afriad to do the right thing, and speak out!

It really does not matter what you say here as long as there are no credible witnesses, your are not under oath here and you can always say you were just full of crap and it is not true.  I can tell people how I killed 35 people in Montana and cut them each up into 1,000 parts and flushed them down the crapper 8 years ago and it really does not matter.

That was YOU? :jester:

I dont want more police or people paid to be on power trips. I want the right to do the right thing which is protect myself, my family and the innocent from danger.

I would have went outside, stayed on my property and shot a round into my grass. It would scare the crap out of those pieces of garbage and not harmed anyone in the process and I would not have to impersonate anyone.

For OP I would say you did the best you could and did not just stand by and do nothing so I applaud you.

they said is anyone in immediate danger 

next time this happens say... no.. I think I shot all the bad guys... one is kind of still moving.. but I hit him at least a couple times.. and hang up... I bet the police show up quickly.. 

I dont want more police or people paid to be on power trips. I want the right to do the right thing which is protect myself, my family and the innocent from danger.

I would have went outside, stayed on my property and shot a round into my grass. It would scare the crap out of those pieces of garbage and not harmed anyone in the process and I would not have to impersonate anyone.

For OP I would say you did the best you could and did not just stand by and do nothing so I applaud you.

Sounds like something that could get you in a lot of trouble.

Im the type of guy that if im in the street and i see one cop handling two criminals ill hang around till his back up shows up just in case not that im batman but i think citizens need to step up alittle an take responsibilty for our neighborhoods and if police are helping they deserve our help in return...

Not that I necessarily disagree, but isn't this the outlook that got Zimmerman jammed up?

Now it's getting ridiculous. Going outside in the middle of a crowded city and firing warning shots. Talk about irresponsible. Please end this thread before anything dumber is said

Just quoting the Vice President..... 

Oh...

I see what you did there!