AlexTheSane

Inexpensive Gun Safe at Harbor Freight

Plus you CAN use a 20% off coupon. I have one, it's not fire rated and a professional thief would be able to open it with relative ease, the common criminal would not.

Is it light enough to rip off the wall and carry out of the house?

Plus you CAN use a 20% off coupon. I have one, it's not fire rated and a professional thief would be able to open it with relative ease, the common criminal would not.

At only 230lbs, they'll cart it off and crack it open at their leisure.  I'd use one as a dummy safe...pack it full of rocks and junk then put it somewhere visible before the real safe is found and hope they spend their time hauling the dummy full of rocks off.

Most burglaries are not done by professionals. Also most professionals don't want to spend more than 5 minutes in the house. I'd say that safe offers substabtially more security than putting your guns in the closet or under the bed.

One thing to look at when evaluating safes is the gauge or thickness of the steel.  Glancing at that page, I didn't see any mention of it which makes me suspect 12 gauge which can be breached with a fire axe.  Safes are your last line of defense to protect your valuables.  I keep more than guns in my personal safe.  Irreplaceable family heirlooms which are worth more to me than any firearm.  Identifying documents like birth certificates and Social Security cards.  Things that if stolen can cause me more headache down the road.  It's why I didn't go cheap with my personal safe and got one that weighs 1100lbs and is made of seven gauge steel.  People are willing to drop $2K+ on a single rifle but look for the absolute cheapest safe to house it in and that's just mind boggling to me.

People are willing to drop $2K+ on a single rifle but look for the absolute cheapest safe to house it in and that's just mind boggling to me.

I don't have 2k to drop on a rifle...I  don't even have 2k worth of stuff if you were to combine it all. with that said, I would rather have a safe that can be broken into with a fire axe (that they would have to bring with them), then to have my stuff just sitting in a closet with trigger locks. If I had plenty of cash, I would love to have an 1100lb safe, but it's just not feasible with my income.

as far as my birth certificate,passports and other important docs, I have a smaller "fire rated" safe.

One thing to look at when evaluating safes is the gauge or thickness of the steel.  Glancing at that page, I didn't see any mention of it which makes me suspect 12 gauge which can be breached with a fire axe.  Safes are your last line of defense to protect your valuables.  I keep more than guns in my personal safe.  Irreplaceable family heirlooms which are worth more to me than any firearm.  Identifying documents like birth certificates and Social Security cards.  Things that if stolen can cause me more headache down the road.  It's why I didn't go cheap with my personal safe and got one that weighs 1100lbs and is made of seven gauge steel.  People are willing to drop $2K+ on a single rifle but look for the absolute cheapest safe to house it in and that's just mind boggling to me.

I agree with midwest on this, if the safe costs less then your most expensive firearm then your doing it worng. also i dont know about the digital safe/electro solenoid to open the door, after a while i see this going to shit.

BUT if your intended plan is for ammo only i dont see a big deal in using it. Just ammo and it would be fine.

Its all about threat levels.  If your goal is to keep the kids (and the teenage "opportunistic" thieves) out of there, this cabinet is more than sufficient - they aren't going to even try to open the door.  

If you are trying to protect from the typical 'smash and grab' thief, its also more than sufficient - it will slow them down considerably, and they want to get "in and out" as fast as possible.  

If you are trying to protect against an organized bunch that is bent on getting into your stuff; well, it depends.  Is the typical thief going to have enough time to cut thru the lock/door without interruption, or enough time, ability and cover to rip it off the wall and carry it to a waiting pickup?  If so, then you need a bigger/heavier safe.  If not, then one of the metal cabinets will suffice.

Not the best security, but it's got really good reviews.

On Sale for $279.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/executive-safe-95824.html

Thinking of getting one for storing ammo.

That is a great idea.... Bolt it down, load it up with ammo... It ain't moving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's all about threat levels.  If your goal is to keep the kids (and the teenage "opportunistic" thieves) out of there, this cabinet is more than sufficient - they aren't going to even try to open the door.  

If you are trying to protect from the typical 'smash and grab' thief, its also more than sufficient - it will slow them down considerably, and they want to get "in and out" as fast as possible.  

If you are trying to protect against an organized bunch that is bent on getting into your stuff; well, it depends.  Is the typical thief going to have enough time to cut thru the lock/door without interruption, or enough time, ability and cover to rip it off the wall and carry it to a waiting pickup?  If so, then you need a bigger/heavier safe.  If not, then one of the metal cabinets will suffice.

^This.

As someone who is preparing for bad things to happen (that means you, as a safe-owner), you need to evaluate threats based on two criteria: severity (how severe is the risk) and probability (how likely is the risk). As a general rule, humans tend to focus on severity much more than probability...which is counterproductive.

That said, JT is absolutely right:

If it is the same quality as the rest of HF stuff, I would imagine there will

come a day when it won't open and your will spend another $200.00 +

getting a lock smith the open it for you..............................

Its all about threat levels.  If your goal is to keep the kids (and the teenage "opportunistic" thieves) out of there, this cabinet is more than sufficient - they aren't going to even try to open the door.  

Glad you pointed this out.  Kinda annoys me when people see a safe like this and then recommend getting a $5000-$10,000 safe instead.

Not everyone has that kind of money and to suggest such a thing is a little impractical.  

Stopped in at Bricktown store to look at one with my bil , they only had the floor model left ( according to workers they only had 2 to offer and they went first thing in the morning )

It's a good deal heavier than the security chests but no way it's 230 lbs., maybe 130 

As has been stated, better than storing your gun in a travel case

This safe is not that bad, I have one and yes it heavy it does weigh that. if you hide your safe and don't show it to everyone it's fine to hold weapons. I don't have the space to own a 1000 plus pound safe anyway, so this does the job just fine...

This safe is not that bad, I have one and yes it heavy it does weigh that. if you hide your safe and don't show it to everyone it's fine to hold weapons. I don't have the space to own a 1000 plus pound safe anyway, so this does the job just fine...

My bil ended up getting one and I found out that it was much heavier than it seemed when sliding it on the lino flooring at the store 

Most burglaries are not done by professionals. Also most professionals don't want to spend more than 5 minutes in the house. I'd say that safe offers substabtially more security than putting your guns in the closet or under the bed.

This is tempting...  But gives more excuse to buy more firearms and ammo to fill it up.  Darn!  Need to hide this from the wife lol.