deerpark

Do you always carry your FID card?

I would probably consider carrying it if it wasnt a flimsy piece of paper.

Not to mention that its larger than all of my other cards, DL, CCs etc.

And now that its laminated, its totally huge. 

Imagine if you lost it.  It would only take a year to get a new one. 

It's always with me.  It's laminated to protect it.  I have my credit cards, cash and other stuff with me.

I have it with me always as you never know when you stumble upon a deal while visiting a store.  I made the mistake once while visiting a gun shop an hour away.  I couldn't touch anything.  I figure from that point on, it's going to be with me.  You also cannot buy ammo without it.

Mine is dated 1988.  ALWAYS with me!  It's my second one; first was when I was at my Parent's house still.  It's laminated, and further protected by my business card holder and the card the State Dept. gives you if you loose your Passport.  I wrap a rubber band around my over-sized documents (my NJ FID is one of them) and keep them all together in my front pants pocket along with an emergency credit card.  Go ahead and steal my wallet.  I still have my FID, my money clip, my Passport copy docs and a credit card!

Dave

Old Fudd

I had mine laminated to help protect it from wear and tear.  Generally, I keep mine locked up with other documents, ss card, etc. and out of my immediate possession.  If I plan on purchasing ammo, another gun, or need it for carrying to a range I'll retrieve it.  It also helps to keep my impulse purchases down to a minimum. :lol:

I always carry it. It's laminated and sitting in my wallet.

I don't really have any reservations because in the event I lose it, my PD would be pretty good about getting me a new one. Would only take a couple weeks at most to replace.

Considering all the legal confusion about whether you do or don't need your FPID in this or that situation, I think it's better to just have it on me. Could save me a headache in the future. Plus, as others mentioned, if I should happen to come across something that catches my eye I have the ability to grab it if I want.

I keep mine in my wallet, but saw a commercial the other night that got me thinking.  Geiko has been doing commercials where the pig hands the cop his phone for a traffic stop and says he has a digital insurance ID card and says to the cop "Pretty neat, eh?"  The cop says maybe, and accepts it.  So, would it be acceptable to have a picture of your FID on your smart phone????

Every time I see that commercial ....I try and imagine a Leo especially nj/njsp taking your phone looking at a picture of an insurance id card when a photo copy/fax was not acceptable...perhaps things have changed but last traffic interaction I had they refused my ins card in a completely transparent slip cover (both sides)...and required me to remove it and hand him the loose ins paper/"card" lol......that was a while ago..perhaps things are different now...

There are two pretty good ways to get around the laminating problem. One is to buy a self laminating set (at Staples) and instead of using the hard plate-like sheet, just use the adhesive sheet for both sides of the ID, and the other is to get some transparent double sided tape and put it on on side of the card first then lay the stiff laminate over it. The former is less protection but does a pretty good job of keeping it unfrayed and legible. The latter requires a steady hand if you want it to look relatively seamless. In either case, trim it down first,

And as the advertisement says, 'Don't leave home without it'.

While my FID was pending, the counter gal at Metzlers told me I could not touch the Desert Eagle I had driven across the state to see without one. After she had to turn it this way and that at my request, She said I could pick it up, put it on the counter pad, and turned around so she couldn't see me handle it.

While my FID was pending, the counter gal at Metzlers told me I could not touch the Desert Eagle I had driven across the state to see without one. After she had to turn it this way and that at my request, She said I could pick it up, put it on the counter pad, and turned around so she couldn't see me handle it.

In 1991 a Jersey gun shop wouldn't let me examine a Glock until I let them hold my pistol purchase permit.