dtown223

Huge -1 to Cherry Ridge

Little late to the thread, but just a short note about the schedule. Last Tuesday I checked the upcoming dates and it did say it was a work weekend. So I went Wed morning instead. So not sure how that was missed. As long as I can remember, they always post work weekends way ahead of time... Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Way ahead of time" about sums it up!  I just checked my printed paper July-August newsletter, "News and Briefs", and the September Work Weekend is listed there, more than a full month in advance.....

So not sure how that was missed. As long as I can remember, they always post work weekends way ahead of time... Just saying.

Let me be 100% clear here.

The range schedule was not kept properly updated on the website.

IMHO, if the range is going to be closed, a message should be updated and left on the "range availability hotline" on the days of the shutdown, not as a final thought at the end if the recorded message.

All I wanted was to point that out to the staff, and was treated like a jerk.

I do understand that there is a printed schedule that gets mailed out every month, and I guess I'm foolish for thinking that checking a schedule on my clubs website would be sufficient.

Noooo, I was referring to the online schedule. It was updated long ago... It almost always is the same as the printed. If there are changes, I've gotten emails about the changes.
I rarely look at the printed because I'm too lazy to remember where I put it. And it does NOT get mailed out every month. But it is in every newsletter. which, (if my brain servers me correctly), is BI-Monthly I believe.

I believe you just made a mistake and not willing to admit you were wrong. You're human, we get it. Just fess up and move on. No reason for a hissy fit... Geeze. Don't like the place, don't go... More open ports for me when I get there to choose from. :)

As for the staff, I've always had a pleasurable experience with them. Once I had an issue with the head RO, but he's a cranky old fugg and let him have his cranky day.

Man, everytime I see a thread like this it makes me happier to have a private range.

Has nothing to do with just the range at this point. So that is regardless of end user human error? Be simpler to say that people just need to take responsibility for their mistakes and while maybe hard to, is apologize and admit fault. Nobody will think lesser of you.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Dtwn223, I feel your pain.  It's annoying to pack up the car, drive up there, find the place is closed, and then be given the brushoff.  On the other hand, I knew about the work weekend closure, and I'm not even normally up on stuff like that, so the info was out there.

Lots of things for which one can criticize CR.  But the setting is beautiful, the people there are mostly very nice, and the price is right.  Nothing in life is perfect.  If you like it there, don't be like the guy who loves a particular restaurant, but gets rude service by a waitress (or waiter) there one time, and vows, "We'll never go there again!"  Swallow your pride, maybe take a couple of weeks away from there, and accept CR for what it is.  Just my two cents.

They're not desperate, and it wont happen.

The board is too entrenched in "the old ways"

As I wrote previously, Until today, the RO's (Craig, Heather Steve) Have always been 100% courteous and professional, which is a big part of what irks me

But the way I was treated seems to have gotten me more than a little riled up.

well, that and I was hoping the Giants would help to lighten the mood with a win today  :wild:

Very true........but they can't live forever.

I agree their lack of internet savvy in this day and age for an organization as large as them is inexcusable. Somebody there has to be internet literate, at this point in time, it strikes as wanton disregard for the internet.

dtown223, on 29 Sept 2013 - 8:28 PM, said:

I'm not talking about a volunteer VinI. I'm talking about the paid staff members at the club, staff members who have established a reputation for being unpleasant and unprofessional. I'm certainly not the first person to note this either, FWIW.

I can't stand when the female RO there hovers 5 feet from me when I am shooting. As soon as I put down my pistol or rifle she is at the table bitching....literally.

I have not gone back since

I can't stand when the female RO there hovers 5 feet from me when I am shooting. As soon as I put down my pistol or rifle she is at the table bitching....literally.

I have not gone back since

Is she hot? Lol maybe it was just her way of flirting? Lol

I've noted a remarkable difference in the RO's attitudes from when I would shoot weekends-which I havent done in 3 yrs- vs weekdays. Less stress?, probably. Only one encounter with a RO since then. Was a weekday and I was only one at pistol range and did a few rapid fire mag dumps at a bad guy target. Of course it can be heard all over and sure enough the truck pulls over and I thought here we go...but he says "looks like he's dead" and I replied " and so are all his buddys" and we both laughed and he drove off. I love the ranges, the administration of them?, eh not so much but like I said weekdays and its fairly quite and bother-free.

Franklin Revolver and Pistol

One in West Milford(Can't recall name)

Another in Jefferson

None as Large as Cherry Ridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are any of these actually taking any members? I haven't heard of them being open to new members who weren't related to current members.

I shot once there with a friend a few years ago. I never went there before that day. Nor had I ever been to a range that made you flag your gun when you lay it down action open without magazine. So I forget to stick the stupid flag in the gun once. The range master instead of a nice reminder like " hey buddy please don't forget your flag next time" he instead starts screaming at me like im a 10 year old kid. What a bunch of douche bags that that place employs. Rather than yelling back or acting like an asshole back I just packed up left and never returned. I like my Membership at RTSP better anyway. Wish the range was a bit longer but atleast they treat you nicely. Cherry Ridge will never see a dime from me ever. Been invited by a few different friends that are members and I've declined.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Seems like it comes down to two groups (plus or minus):

Group 1 gets "butthurt" by perceived injustices, safety officers "doing their job", etc.

Group 2 doesn't mind being lectured to as if they were a child, being yelled at, etc. as long as it's in the name of safety, after all, everything else about this place is just superb.

Is that it, pretty much?

I remember Cherry Ridge back in the late 70's early 80's when there were no range officers.  During the week we were almost always the only ones there and even on weekends there was usually one of the ranges that was completely vacant.

Ah, the good old days!

Group 3... people who have not experienced 1 & 2 and I'm sure 1 & 2 are a minority. I've been a member since before 2006 I believe and the only people outside of my one issue with the HRO was members being a pain in my arse...

So if you (general statement), are not willing to stop biotching, then just don't go. Can't be more simpler. If you or anyone cannot be ballsy, let me correct that, mature enough to approach the individual calm, collectively and express yourself, then that's your problem. I stated that everyone is entitled to a 'bad day'... Write it off.... it's not worth it. The property, the price and just having the right to shoot in this fooking state should be good enough for you. Maybe safety is over rated in your eyes. But insurance for shet like this is high and premiums like any insurance is kept low by not having problems. Originally, I spent 10-15 minutes chatting with the ROs when I first met them. They are humans like us. They put in LOOOONNNG days, often double shifts.. The female RO, Heather, (which is away on leave), is the sweetest girl I've met that loves guns. We chat, have no issues and I find that if I believe I want to do something off the wall, I am accommodated. Same with others...

In the words of my long departed grandma, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...". That should give you the right mind set... :)

It must really piss you all off because down deep, you really love the place but not willing to be mature enough to deal with mulitple personalities. I'm guessing you are not a people person, or have OCD... or just self centered. Sorry if I'm being blunt, but I just don't see why this thread is going on this long and why the harping continues. Nothing will change unless you want change. In that case, get voted on as a board member and create change. Crying here goes no where.

Ain't too much different now. I usually go weekday mornings. RO is roaming around in the golf cart and the line is kept safe by members.. Never issues unless someone is really messing up which they will kindly set them straight or call in the RO...

I remember Cherry Ridge back in the late 70's early 80's when there were no range officers.  During the week we were almost always the only ones there and even on weekends there was usually one of the ranges that was completely vacant.

Ah, the good old days!

I've never been yelled at by an RO for any reason.  I've made some minor mistakes that have been correct, forgot flag, double aim point once.  I've never done anything as bone headed as approach the bench while a cease fire--which I've seen countless times and I've correct people.  I don't feel like a jerk reminding people of the rules.

However, I've never had anyone, ever give me a hard time.  If I break rules I expect to be corrected but not treated badly.  And, as I mentioned, I've never been treated badly.  

I agree with bhunted, if you don't like somewhere why would you go?  

Yell at you? They yell at you or tell you a better way of doing things? There is a huge difference.

There's telling, and there's yelling.

Yelling was the case.

It's ok.  I'm done with it, have been for about 2 yrs now.  They don't see my money any longer, instead, I take my $$ over the bridge.

Ok I'm a CR fanboy it's been told....

To ALL - Put your big boy pants on be safe and have fun!

It appears many have no idea what it takes to keep a range safe.  Especially with the "new" demographics of shooters.

When it was just "us fuds" range safety was less work.

Ok I'm a CR fanboy it's been told....

To ALL - Put your big boy pants on be safe and have fun!

It appears many have no idea what it takes to keep a range safe. Especially with the "new" demographics of shooters.

When it was just "us fuds" range safety was less work.

Roger that, and BTW I was range safety in the Army. So, yell at me for nothing and you get no more of my money.

I got no time for group think like that. But lets not stifle dissenting opinions on our experiences. I get the importance of CR, but if the management is ignoring the voices of willing,volunteering adults, some with a great long history of range safety, by writing them off as children - I think you can see the problem.

I haven't renewed either. Not likely to again unless something changes. But I will always reserve my right to my opinion. Adults can deal with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Seems like it comes down to two groups (plus or minus):

Group 1 gets "butthurt" by perceived injustices, safety officers "doing their job", etc.

Group 2 doesn't mind being lectured to as if they were a child, being yelled at, etc. as long as it's in the name of safety, after all, everything else about this place is just superb.

Is that it, pretty much?

Yep... Member there but not a fun place to shoot. I keep membership as a extended contribution to ANJRPC but I'm very fortunate to membership at Shongum and CJRPC

Roger that, and BTW I was range safety in the Army. So, yell at me for nothing and you get no more of my money.

I got no time for group think like that. But lets not stifle dissenting opinions on our experiences. I get the importance of CR, but if the management is ignoring the voices of willing,volunteering adults, some with a great long history of range safety, by writing them off as children - I think you can see the problem.

I haven't renewed either. Not likely to again unless something changes. But I will always reserve my right to my opinion. Adults can deal with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Don't think I don't recognize the problems at CR, I do.

It is now far from a club, It is a business enterprise with a captive audience of new firearms owners.  I can see how seasoned experiences shooters can be turned off by some of the rules and behaviors.

Example, I had a board member yelling at a kid with an AR that his flag wasn't fully in the chamber....Such bull shit!  I don't want that plastic in a hot chamber...but it's the "rule"  BTW this asshat board member made the rule  You tell me how putting a flag in through an ejection port blocking the bolt from going into battery isn't safe as a flag in chamber?

Yes there are asshats there in positions of authority, but there are unsafe ninjas there as well.

It's cheap and close for me and it works for me.

And I agree everybody has a right to their opinion.