gfl216

The Best Overall Home Defense Pump Shotgun?

I just read an article on Guns N Ammo online and the author ( Don't remember who wrote it) stated that in his opinion the Mossberg 500 is the best overall pump action shotgun for home defense. It was a well written article and even though I prefer my Remington 870 to the Mossberg I can't argue with any of the authors views and reasons for his opinion.

So, What do you think?

What is the best overall H D pump action shotgun, and why?

If I can find the article I'll post a link.

the one that goes bang every time and you are comfortable using. 

the 500 and 870 are the top dogs in that game, use which ever one you are more comfortable with.

Yup.  I prefer the safety on the 870 over the 500.  That's the biggest, if not the only difference regarding operation.

I've owned, fired and/or handled many 870's over the years; Wingmaster, Express and Police Magnum models. I was always an 870 guy. Just the other day, I handled a no-frills 18" 500 in a store. I was very favorably impressed with the smooth action, light weight, location of the safety and slide release and the way the stock fitted my body. If I was currently looking for a new pump, I would get the 500.

Remington 870

Mossberg 500/590

Ithaca 37

Benelli Nova/Supernova

I'd be happy to pick any from that list to trust my or my family's lives. My current HD shotguns are a Benelli Supernova and a Stevens 320, though I hope to add one of each of the above to my collection...

I would prefer either the Mossberg 500 factory Bullpup but the 870 Police with old school Remington top folding stock is a close second.

The Bullpup is just above the legal OAL and is well balanced. It is very maneuverable, has lower recoil than a regular 500, and has 2 pistol grips.

The 870 Police is a very good shotgun and the addition of the original top folding stock makes it pretty maneuverable and easy to control. It can also accept 2 and 3 shot extensions also.

Yup.  I prefer the safety on the 870 over the 500.  That's the biggest, if not the only difference regarding operation.

I agree with you about the safety location being the biggest difference, my preference being exactly the opposite.  And now with three Mossbergs, I don't even want to get a Remington (even though I kind of like them), because if I have to reach for one in the unlikely event of a critical incident, I don't want to have to figure out where to look for the safety.

the one that goes bang every time and you are comfortable using. 

the 500 and 870 are the top dogs in that game, use which ever one you are more comfortable with.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

To the OP:

Alec has the right answer, lol!

And while I'm "at-it", don't be the idiot who takes the gun outta-da-box and fires it till it jams-up from being soaked in packing grease!  Clean the gun and lube it up, especially the rails and sleeve where metal-to-metal contact is being made.  This will reduce friction and help to keep you from "short-stroking" the pump when seconds count!  Then practice, practice, and practice some more.  When you can pump-off 5 rounds in 4 seconds and hit something, at that point you can rely on both your skills and the shotty.  When you can get off 5 shots in 2.5 sec's and knock-down pepper-poppers, then you're really decent.  One of the worst sounds at a range is a dry shotty that needs lube.  I can hear it from quite a distance away and tell you to lube yer gun without even having to look at it.  My ears are "tuned" to it.  Rem Oil and a paper towel is your friend, lol!

Which ever one you decide to get, have fun and be safe!

Dave

As far as a safety goes, WHAT'S THAT?  I don't ever use mine.  I just keep the booger hooker off the bang switch......

Come to our shotgun shootouts.

There's a reason why out of 20 shotguns, you see many many more Mossberg's than Remington's!

Plus one more benelli;) I'll have to bring the mossberg out next time so it doesn't get jealous but I just got the 28"barrel for the snova. Clay killing time

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

To the OP:

Alec has the right answer, lol!

And while I'm "at-it", don't be the idiot who takes the gun outta-da-box and fires it till it jams-up from being soaked in packing grease!  Clean the gun and lube it up, especially the rails and sleeve where metal-to-metal contact is being made.  This will reduce friction and help to keep you from "short-stroking" the pump when seconds count!  Then practice, practice, and practice some more.  When you can pump-off 5 rounds in 4 seconds and hit something, at that point you can rely on both your skills and the shotty.  When you can get off 5 shots in 2.5 sec's and knock-down pepper-poppers, then you're really decent.  One of the worst sounds at a range is a dry shotty that needs lube.  I can hear it from quite a distance away and tell you to lube yer gun without even having to look at it.  My ears are "tuned" to it.  Rem Oil and a paper towel is your friend, lol!

Which ever one you decide to get, have fun and be safe!

Dave

As far as a safety goes, WHAT'S THAT?  I don't ever use mine.  I just keep the booger hooker off the bang switch......

I appreciate yours and everyone else's advice but I'm not in the market for a HD shotgun ( I have both an 870 and a mossy 500).I prefer the 870, maybe because I have more experience with it. I was just commenting on an article I read on G&A online and wondering which of the two most people prefer.

I appreciate yours and everyone else's advice but I'm not in the market for a HD shotgun ( I have both an 870 and a mossy 500).I prefer the 870, maybe because I have more experience with it. I was just commenting on an article I read on G&A online and wondering which of the two most people prefer.

O-K, but from the looks of it, the entire thread appears to be answering which one to get, lol!  I don't own either gun.  My wife bought me a Winchester Model 1300 Featherweight close to 30 years ago....with nuthin' but S and H Greenstamps!  So that's what I use.  At 2 rounds per second........lol.

O-K, but from the looks of it, the entire thread appears to be answering which one to get, lol! I don't own either gun. My wife bought me a Winchester Model 1300 Featherweight close to 30 years ago....with nuthin' but S and H Greenstamps! So that's what I use. At 2 rounds per second........lol.

The Winchester 1200/1300 shotguns have the best and smoothest racking action I have ever felt. The Ithaca 12 gauge comes in 2nd because even though it is nearly as smooth, it seems to require more force to rack with certain brands of shells so there is more variability.