ryan_j

Teaneck police unmarked vehicles? Sorta

I saw a dodge charger (I think) this morning on 80/95 on the way to the GWB. I knew it was a cop car because I saw the lightbar on the front grille and the light by the driver side mirror along with MGxxxxxx front plates. So I pull right and let him pass. 

When I look at the side of the car, I see "TEANECK POLICE" but the way it is written, you can hardly see it. It's in very dark lettering, almost like a silhouette. I had to glance a few times to see it but it's almost like they're sorta hiding that it's a cop car. 

So the question is this. Are unmarked cop cars for speed enforcement now a problem in NJ? It almost seems like this is the case and they marked the car in such a way as to get around the law (if it is indeed the law). 

Don't think so ....I passed a plain White SUV stopping speeders on the TP just this weekend and there are at least a dozen parked at the State trooper barracks motor pool in Monroe

This is something new. My town did the same thing. Cannot hardly see the lettering during the day.  Shows up when a light is cast on it at night.  Not being used as a unmarked car, but a regular patrol car.  Seems that is the new way they are headed, stealth patrol cars.

A lot of new cars also have very low profile light bars on the roof and some even have them inside of the car rather than on the roof which makes them harder to spot.  Guess its all about revenue generation.

Its reflective ghost lettering. My town has a black charger like that. Just more stealth especially at night. Love the way it looks

Yup we got one here in Flemington too. All black SUV with matt black lettering on it and no lightbar(all the lights are in the grille and behind the windshield). The cops have been making a killing on busting speeders by sitting in my front lawn at night and popping all the speeders that fly by. 

Yup we got one here in Flemington too. All black SUV with matt black lettering on it and no lightbar(all the lights are in the grille and behind the windshield). The cops have been making a killing on busting speeders by sitting in my front lawn at night and popping all the speeders that fly by. 

Okay.....here is the point in the thread where someone points out that the state gets the vast majority of the fines generated by tickets........4..3..2..

I saw a dodge charger (I think) this morning on 80/95 on the way to the GWB. I knew it was a cop car because I saw the lightbar on the front grille and the light by the driver side mirror along with MGxxxxxx front plates. So I pull right and let him pass. 

When I look at the side of the car, I see "TEANECK POLICE" but the way it is written, you can hardly see it. It's in very dark lettering, almost like a silhouette. I had to glance a few times to see it but it's almost like they're sorta hiding that it's a cop car. 

So the question is this. Are unmarked cop cars for speed enforcement now a problem in NJ? It almost seems like this is the case and they marked the car in such a way as to get around the law (if it is indeed the law).

Just curious.... How are unmarked/stealth cars a problem for speed enforcement and what law are you referring to that the PDs may be trying to avoid?

Just curious.... How are unmarked/stealth cars a problem for speed enforcement and what law are you referring to that the PDs may be trying to avoid?

Stealth/marked I don't have a problem.

Unmarked I absolutely DO have a problem with, due to the potential for impersonators. 

I don't know what the law is in NJ which is why I asked. However a few years ago NY Gov issued an exec order in their state that all traffic stops had to be done with marked cars. This was after a rash or impersonation incidents. I don't know if a similar law exists in NJ. 

Okay.....here is the point in the thread where someone points out that the state gets the vast majority of the fines generated by tickets........4..3..2..

But, the town does get a %, and that is better than nothing.

If it was not a cost effective business model, they would not be doing it.

Unmarked I absolutely DO have a problem with, due to the potential for impersonators. 

I don't know what the law is in NJ which is why I asked. However a few years ago NY Gov issued an exec order in their state that all traffic stops had to be done with marked cars. This was after a rash or impersonation incidents. I don't know if a similar law exists in NJ.

Fair enough. Granted, marked units are best for patrol, but unmarked cars have their place in other divisions. Many agencies already use unmarked cars for their Speed Enforcement divisions and to set up traffic enforcement details. Their isn't a huge problem with impersonators now, and personally I don't see it becoming any bigger issue than it is now no matter what LE Agencies do with their car design.

Also just FYI: NJ has no laws regarding unmarked cars other than defining their roles in pursuits.

Blksheep We have a Honda Hybrid as an unmarked :(

But, the town does get a %, and that is better than nothing.

If it was not a cost effective business model, they would not be doing it.

Oh I agree....just pointing out that it usually comes up.

When speeding, I always assume every unmarked police looking vehicle (white/silver/grey/black/blue charger/impala/crown vic/SUV/etc) is a police vehicle.

Also, I never speed.

Especially not while transporting to/from a range. With a target stand visible on my back seat.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/59205-major-rt78-accident/?p=757233

Yeah I assume most of the "police looking" cars are cop cars. I don't really excessively speed. 

The two times I was nailed it was with marked cars. However they were in hidden places. Fair enough. I paid the fine and moved on. I am not concerned about avoiding the police. I am more concerned about mine and my family's safety. 

Its reflective ghost lettering. My town has a black charger like that. Just more stealth especially at night. Love the way it looks

I like the way the ghost lettering looks.. though I'd think the reflective nature would make it LESS stealthy at night.

The advent of LED's has really made the light-bar a thing of the past..

except as somewhere high up to mount your NSA-approved license-plate reader /duck

I would think the more important concern in re: "impersonators" would be whether or not the officer driving the unit is "in uniform."  If they were not (i.e. they're in "plain clothes,") and driving an unmarked vehicle on "traffic patrol," I would be a little worried. In my former town (where I was an EMT), all the officers (even the detectives, Chief, LT's, etc.) had to do some patrol time at selected intervals, during the year, and had to do it "in uniform."  I make it a point to observe the uniforms in towns/places I frequent often, to know what one looks like.

My only gripe about marked/unmarked cars is the overhead LED light bars on marked cars should be regulated. The low profile lights are ridiculously bright and blind me at night all the time. I get the point of them, but I would appreciate it if LEOs didn't jack the things up to 11 when they already have someone pulled over.

I did also see a unmarked Dodge minivan along with a utility body Ram 2500 bust someone in Newark. Both fooled me.

I live in Teaneck, so I can confirm they are using those cars.  First time I saw one I thought it was a regular charger until I was 3/4 past it and saw the ghost lettering. 

I saw a Teaneck cop on I-80 this morning heading EB with his lights on, but in the express lanes, looked like he was coming from Saddle Brook area, which was VERY confusing.

I live in Teaneck, so I can confirm they are using those cars.  First time I saw one I thought it was a regular charger until I was 3/4 past it and saw the ghost lettering. 

I saw a Teaneck cop on I-80 this morning heading EB with his lights on, but in the express lanes, looked like he was coming from Saddle Brook area, which was VERY confusing.

Maybe he was late for work?

I've seen a few strange cars as cop cars, those are most likely to mess me up.  Jeep Liberty was the strangest recent one.  Some other SUVs I've seen have had well-hidden LED lights on the rears of the cars, that I almost missed.  Somewhere down the shore, I've seen a BMW convertible that had been converted to a police car, I believe it said it was confiscated and modified for police use. 

My biggest problem is learning the new headlights of all the new cop cars...I can spot a '90's Caprice or Crown Vic headlight outline from long distances.  I can tell a Grand Marquis from a Crown Vic from a decent distance, too.  Previous generation Chargers and Honda Accords have similar headlights.  Now, the new Caprices, Chargers, Ford Interceptors, and various SUVs in common use make things harder to spot.  Especially when tailgating me and I try to loose the tailgater in a curve. :whistle:

Anyone remember when most cop cars had rotating lights in a red tinted-plastic lightbars?  I remember the next town over had red bulbs in a clear plastic lightbar instead, and how much more stealthy those cars were over a solid red lightbar on the roof...

Anyone remember when most cop cars had rotating lights in a red tinted-plastic lightbars?  I remember the next town over had red bulbs in a clear plastic lightbar instead, and how much more stealthy those cars were over a solid red lightbar on the roof...

In essence, it was the "standard" for the NJSP during the "Col. Clinton Pagano" era.  I assume most of the local depts. followed the NJSP's lead. Mine (during that era) did not, and had both red & blue.

I recall a time when the Penn. St. Police had the solitary "tall rotating light" at the top of the roof.

I thought speed traps were a form of entrapment? Isn't that why they put up signs saying speed enforced by radar/aircraft and such. You're not allowed to park a cruiser behind an obstruction to catch speeders but they have to be visible? I believe my mom used this argument in court to get out of a ticket on rt. 17. It came down to her and the officer debating how far down the road he could be seen.

I thought speed traps were a form of entrapment? Isn't that why they put up signs saying speed enforced by radar/aircraft and such. You're not allowed to park a cruiser behind an obstruction to catch speeders but they have to be visible? I believe my mom used this argument in court to get out of a ticket on rt. 17. It came down to her and the officer debating how far down the road he could be seen.

She probably got off because the Officer needs to establish a tracking history of his radar in order to get it on the record.  A minimum of 3 to 5 seconds at her speed (say she was going 70 mph or apprx. 105 feet per second) she would have to visible for apprx. 300 to 500 feet.  It is in a way how far he can be seen, because they need to be able to see each other for him to be able to see her.  

Being visible and recognizing the patrol car are two different concepts!  Those with sharp eyes will fare much better than those who are speeding and NOT paying attention.  Radar can effectively be used at 1500 to 2000 feet (there are MANY variables and with my older eyes!).  It is easier for a stationary police car to spot the moving car.  The Officer is doing much less than the driver therefore he can apply nearly all of his attention to the violator he knows is approaching.

Seems to me that having cruisers marked as conspicuously as possible would have the most impact on things like speeding and aggressive driving. If we agree that preventing the offense in the first place is the best result, all patrol cars should be clearly marked. If not, let's all just call it what it is.