EWC88

Am I beating myself up?

So lately I have been feeling like a bum. I am 25 years old and go to college. I'm working on graduating with a couple degrees but been in school so long because a couple mess ups. I work currently at a retail store getting decent hours and yea decent pay to help me afford what I need and enjoy in life. But I then sit there and see myself as not doing good because I'm in school still, I have this part time job, and live at home still. I don't know if I'm just beating myself up about it or am right. I can take it how it is so any input I appreciate.

If you have a goal and you are working towards it, great. Maybe life is telling you it's time to wrap up this phase of your life, so do whatever you can to prepare for the next phase and that will ameliorate your anxiety. Clarity, faith, and action always do.

If you do not have a goal or are not decisively working towards it, good news! You sound like you are in a pretty good place. Finishing school, low expenses other than school, roof over your head and some income, so sharpen that pencil and get to work on a plan. Plenty of options at the moment.

Also, it's possible living at home is screwing with you. It sounds like you have a good reason for it, and there's no shame in it, but it's not natural in our society. If you are getting through school with little/no debt you might want to bite the bullet and move into a cheap place. If you are accumulating debt, then scratch that idea. Finish what you started and then get out when it makes sense.

Not trying get this forum to sound like a weird/ mushy gushy crap, just figured I trust your guys opinion on things and feel this site I trust in.

Thanks for opinions I have received so far.

Not trying get this forum to sound like a weird/ mushy gushy crap, just figured I trust your guys opinion on things and feel this site I trust in.

No offense intended..I'm just busting balls.... Seeing your post it reminded me of the Facebook stuff I've seen my wife responding to...lol again just busting balls

Finish college and go from there never second guess

What's this forum turning into?... Lol

Anyway,

Dude Ive known plenty of people who have stayed with the parental units as long as they possibly could to stay away from debt. What good is your degree when digging yourself out of tens of thousands of dollars of unaffordable debt. Complete your goal and don't look back.

With that said I'd get the hell out of there as soon as it is feasible. There's nothing like he first year or so your out on your own. Come and go as you please, be as loud and obnoxious a you'd like, eat what you want etc.

Good luck.

You are doing fine......

Working and going to college......  Enjoy this time. If living at home is not a tense situation..... no shame in it. Stay and put as much money away as you can. When you graduate, get yourself your 1st place, and then take the next stage of life.....

1- Finish school

2- Start looking at graduate school

3- Get a job hopefully with an employer that will help pay for said grad school

4- Go on to graduate studies while working

5- Advance in your career while going to grad school

6- Finish grad school

Always have a goal and remember that to reach that goal it will take some hard work, sacrifice and determination.  Also, while on this journey think about what gets you excited and what you love to do.  Then go do it, either in your career or outside of your career. 

From there let life happen and keep setting goals and striving to accomplish them.  It is the journey that fulfills one's soul not the destination.  I know it may not sound sexy but trust me it works!

Finish college,

I fell 4 credits short of my degrees and it haunts and annoys me everyday. Its now been 14 years since then and unfortunately I cant go back for those credits since the college was in VT and it was classes that aren't taught anywhere around here.

If having the "ultimate control" over your life that comes with supporting yourself fully (i.e. your own housing, food, clothes, etc.) is not a priority for you, then it may be advantageous for you to finish school so you can support yourself much more effectively in the future. It's your tolerance level and preferences that matter. If it were me, I'd want that control. And, as soon as I could, I was out on my own and remain that way to this day. The "peace of mind" and the control over my life was/is well worth the cost. But that's just me. You have to decide that for yourself.

The best thing you have going for you is that you realize you want something more. You are finishing school, while maintaining a job so you are ready on a good track. I moved back in with my parents after college to save up for a home and lived with them until I was 25 when I bought my first place. Since then I have focused on saving money and doing better every year than I did the year before.

FYI Im 28 and also work in retail. You can do well if you work yourself the right deal.

At least you are trying to advance yourself. Millions of leeches out there arent

This.  You aren't on welfare, you aren't sitting on your butt and you are trying to better yourself.  Sounds like you are on the right path to me. 

Your 25 years old....get out there and enjoy life!

FINISH SCHOOL! As long as you and your parents are ok with the situation, stay put. Save as much as you can, even if it means cutting back on extras like ammo, etc. You didn't say what you are majoring in so don't want to postulate on your chances for gainful employment in your chosen field, but you are currently earning a living. Grad school ain't all it's cracked up to be, unless your current employer kicks in, you'll just be assuming more debt with not much more promise when you are done. 

p.s. you are being too hard on yourself

OG have you looked for someplace that has them available as an online course

they were courses specific to my degree that were only offered at that college.

I bet if I contacted them they may be able to substitute something since the core curriculum has changed since then.

Just made a few minor tweaks.

1- Finish school

1a- get as much tail as you can and buy a gun as a gift for finishing school

2- Start looking at graduate school

2a- get as much tail as you can and save money by only buying ammo

3- Get a job hopefully with an employer that will help pay for said grad school

3a- Finding a job with continuing education benefits is a must- With money saved by employer paying way save what you would spend for a house, while getting tail.

4- Go on to graduate studies while working

4a- Save money........... Start finding that perfect piece of tail........

5- Advance in your career while going to grad school

5a- Save money............... Hopefully you found the woman of your dreams and that money saved is now a little lighter due to a ring and home...

6- Finish grad school

6a- Buy a gun for your success.

Always have a goal and remember that to reach that goal it will take some hard work, sacrifice and determination.  Also, while on this journey think about what gets you excited and what you love to do.  Then go do it, either in your career or outside of your career. 

From there let life happen and keep setting goals and striving to accomplish them.  It is the journey that fulfills one's soul not the destination.  I know it may not sound sexy but trust me it works!

No shame if you are working hard towards a goal.

Thanks everyone. Once again I don't want people think this thread is for attention or simply or anything like that, just honest opinions from good honest people.

For schooling, I'm looking at degrees in business (management and finance) and also criminal law and justice.

Far as debt I'm good, everything I own (my truck, weapons, toys, etc) I own and do not do payments. School I also don't pay for my parents do. I thought about moving out getting a apartment but thought renting is just blowing money away and I'd rather own so atleast I can make money in long run.

Have been saving my money and have a decent set to side too, which always helps.

I hit the same hurtle your experiencing in college.. I basically had a do over half way through college. Unfortunately i was in the middle of schooling when 2008 hit and i had to completely reorganize my major. It was IMO for the better though, i got into a field that fit my lifestyle much more. your going to hit your final year and all that depression from being in school so long wears off and the excitement begins to set in. I'm 3 years out of college, Went from a pretty low about 5 years ago to probably the highest in my life right now, just gotta keep on chuggin along.. Oh and btw i still live at home with my mom and i'll be 28 pretty soon, makes no difference to me, i plan on saving cash to better improve my living situation down the line... but in the mean time i help out around here, kinda preparing myself to own my house one day..

One way to really put your mind at ease... think about all the people who are in debt because of school and HAVE to work to pay bills. I, like you, was extremely fortunate to be debt free coming out of college and it was the best present my parents could have afforded to me in life. That is not something many people get in life and it's something that can really put you ahead in life if you choose to take advantage of. The past year instead of making payments for college like most people,  i have been investing money in some low risk/high dividend stocks and made some pretty decent money.

Business mgmt and finance .....

Is there a specialty in criminal justice?

Biz finance...my .02 that degree is a waste....how many more bus mgmt majors do we need out of work....

Finish the crim justice degree... Join military ... Get into mil police.. Base security etc... Get out and move into federal law enforcement ...

My .02

This might be the worst post in this thread. We live in one of maybe 4 parts of the country a finance degree will get you serious $ out of school. Out of all of my peers the ones who are doing well now were either finance or accounting majors. If you can get in to an entry level program at one of the reputable firms and stick with it you will benefit handsomely in several years.

I know first hand what ppl at brokerage firms are pulling down as junior employees and its certainly more than senior employees working a govt job.

I'm in a similar boat.

I've had my face kicked in the proverbial dirt enough times, weather it was getting murdered by thermodynamics classes, losing jobs, acquiring funds (or a lack thereof) for school, whatever. Damn right I've considered every option for quitting school and finding a different career path.

The way I see it is, I've invested enough time and money that it would be stupid to quit now. Secondly, and more importantly, I have it easier than millions of people. As crappy as it's been, it's not that bad.

Biggest motivation for me was not graduating on time. I mean, my field isn't easy and my school has a 7 year average for a 4 year degree, but I make no excuses. I have only myself to blame for all things in my life.

Second biggest motivator was trying to make enough cash for school, which I pulled off working 65ish hours a week.

College isn't that bad. The time it takes to get a degree is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Ps living at home to save money and be debt free is NOT a problem...it is smart..but you have to kick n to help mom and dad.... :)

I completely agree with this. Living at home to save up is def the right decision, but like what was posted I paid rent there every month until I bought my place (basically enough to cover food/utilities).

For my majors- I'm looking at a a dual major of finance and business management and then minor (possibly major as well) of criminal law and justice.

From what everyone has said on here who gave opinions I'm basically beating myself up it sounds like it. See some people are in same boat as me so that makes me feel better. I guess I just figure I was this only bum when really I'm not. Maybe this damn weather is getting to me (I hate the cold lol).

I am lucky to me debt free and can afford almost everything I want, but my mind set is always proper on is it something I honestly need or just want. Once again thanks everyone!