notmetoo

Lone Survivor movie

A lot of you on this forum support our military and I'd like to ask you to attend the movie "Lone Survivor" this (opening) weekend. Hollywood has put out a stream of movies (and TV shows) that depict military members in numerous negative ways (Yes, PTSD is real, but c'mon Hollywood!).

I have not seen the movie yet (going tonight) but from everything I have heard, read, and seen it is an accurate depiction of what occurred during Operation Red Wing. The "Lone Survivor", author of the book and former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, was an advisor and performed the weapons and tactics training the actors went through.

Let's help make this a box office smash and show Hollywood how successful an accurate military movie can be. They can ignore angry letters and protests, but what they care about is profit. So let's help this movie make a profit.

And read the book, too. It's not polished prose, but it's real, gripping and a great read.

Thanks for your time.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/lonesurvivor/

The book was great. Loved it and it was very moving and a page turner. Really looks like they tried to stay true to the book with the movie. I hope so.

It's too bad Marky Mark is such an anti-gun hypocrite.

That is about the only thing I am not happy about in this movie

I saw it and it was a great movie. However my cousins, who are Marines, said they give it two middle fingers. It completely ignores the fact that Operation Red Wings and Operation Whalers (not 100% on the second name) were actually Marine ops. There are also quite a few questions about the accuracy of Luttrells story ie 8-10 fighters became 20 became 30-40 (M.Murphy's MoH write up), which ballooned to 200 when Luttrell hit the talk circuit. Also, I understand the movie takes large departures from the book. For instance the final battle during the rescue... never happened. For a movies sake I think of it as creative license. But some folks are upset because Luttrell and Berg are saying how accurate this movie is. Supposedly there is a much better written account by E. Darack.

Bottom line for me... even if exaggerated... i have a ton of respect for Luttrell and those who perished. It takes balls to even rope out of the chopper (edit: into a battlefield) never mind endure a full on assault like that.

I enjoyed it. I'm guessing it was bolstered for movie purposes. I cannot watch it again.

Without giving anything away, I would have shot that kid! Everything would have turned out diff.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

I enjoyed it. I'm guessing it was bolstered for movie purposes. I cannot watch it again.

Without giving anything away, I would have shot that kid! Everything would have turned out diff.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Haven't seen it, want too, but fully agree with you. Don't want to sound evil but in other countries like that who already hate us, I wouldn't of taking the chance and would of just said say bye and pull trigger. Seen trailer that shows that part with kid that's why I know it lol.

^ something I agree with and don't understand him. He is such an anti yet all his movies that are good that he is in involved him with a gun shooting people? I think he's a secret gun lover but to keep him popular with a lot of Americans sadly he says he's a anti, who the heck knows.

I didnt read the book, nor knew much about what happened before watching the movie.

It movie was alright, nothing spectacular - I found my attention drifting a few times.

It seemed to me that they could of done with some more " story " rather then just non-stop action.

Good movie. 

Less BS than in your average Hollywood production IMO. 

I wouldn't call it realistic, maybe 50/50 - it's not that bad our days. 

A lot of exaggeration and glorification IMO. 

But it's Hollywood after all, what do you expect?

^ something I agree with and don't understand him. He is such an anti yet all his movies that are good that he is in involved him with a gun shooting people? I think he's a secret gun lover but to keep him popular with a lot of Americans sadly he says he's a anti, who the heck knows.

When Mark Wahlberg was 16 he hit an old man with a stick blinding him in one eye. He was charged with attempted murder but wound up pleaing guilty to assault. Probably due to the fact Wahlberg already had about 20 arrests under his belt Wahlberg was tried as an adult for this and sentenced to two years in state prison. He only served 45 days and you can speculate why but unless that conviction was for a 2 year misdemeanor Wahlberg is a convicted felon and prohibited from owning guns.

Good movie. 

Less BS than in your average Hollywood production IMO. 

I wouldn't call it realistic, maybe 50/50 - it's not that bad our days. 

A lot of exaggeration and glorification IMO. 

But it's Hollywood after all, what do you expect?

True,

You can only start to roll your eyes after your main charecters have taken 8 gun shot wounds, & 3 falls off cliffs with little consequence.

I thought the movie was a reliable translation of the book. Some drama was added, yes, but the wounds shown were based on autopsy reports, and the lack of a full description of Operation Red Wings (being a Marine op, etc) is inline with how the book presented it. Berg went for representing the incidents as written by Luttrell rather than a grander scale movie like "Saving Private Ryan" (which was fiction, after all.) I put this movie more in the category of "We Were Soldiers", my favorite war movie.

All the services were well represented, I thought (except the Coast Guard, but I don't believe they had any role in the op).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw it and it was a great movie. However my cousins, who are Marines, said they give it two middle fingers. It completely ignores the fact that Operation Red Wings and Operation Whalers (not 100% on the second name) were actually Marine ops.

Marines don't tell everybody they meet they are Marines, try to get on TV, or get book deals. Sorry.

You need to wear Berkleys and popped collars for that.

Enjoyed (don't know if that's the right word) the movie, was pretty good account of the book. Just so sad, from the time I read it thought the should have taken care of the herders, especially once the found the phone. The worst scene is when the helo gets shot down... 

The "Lone Survivor", author of the book and former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, was an advisor and performed the weapons and tactics training the actors went through.

I had the opportunity to watch the movie about two weeks ago.  Marcus Luttrell not only helped out in the making of the movie...but if you look closely, he appears in the movie a couple times.  He was sitting at the picnic table outside the base in the beginning of the movie.  He was in the room where they were loading out weapons before the mission.  He was in the helicopter that got shot down.  I think that his most significant appearance was in the briefing room though.  In the book, he discusses his dislike for the rules of engagement, and how they put service members in a rough situation sometimes.  Immediately after being briefed on the rules of engagement, the screen flashed to him, and he shook his head in disappointment.  It was a VERY subtle touch, but it meant a whole lot.

I thought that most of the action displayed in the movie was very accurate to what was depicted in the book.  I didn't see anything that was dramatized in the movie that was not dramatized in the book.  Each of them did get shot several times.  And they also roll down several hills to try and escape from the attackers.  Marcus Luttrell still, almost 9 years later, suffers from issues from breaking his back and wrists, and from being shot in the leg.  Michael Murphy did crawl out onto that rock out in the clearing, knowing full well that he would not survive, in order to call in rescue for the remaining members of his team.  The movie was just about as accurate as the book was, and the book was written by the only surviving member who was in that op.

That being said, I was not impressed by the movie as much as I was by the book.  The book concentrated a lot on the background details, such as his time spent in the native village, what his family was experiencing back home, etc.  The book only depicted about 40% action, and the movie was about 80% action.  I understand that they maybe felt they needed more action to sell more tickets, however I feel the movie could have been better with more behind it.

I would STRONGLY recommend the book.