deerpark

Do we have to "declare" if we're pulled over?

Never willingly disclose anything in a traffic stop.  If asked directly, I would answer the question truthfully, with the shortest answer possible.  Do not give them any reason to suspect you are lying to them.  If you do, all answers will be considered suspect and they will proceed believing you are trying to hide something.

Know the town the range is in.  "Where are you coming from?" Answer: "West Paterson". See! Think before you answer.  Totally truthful answer.

Kinda like the helicopter pilot lost in the fog by the Microsoft building.  Holds up a sign at them that reads "Where am I?". They reply, "Your in a helicopter!".  Correct answer but totally useless.

Know the town the range is in.  "Where are you coming from?" Answer: "West Paterson". See! Think before you answer.  Totally truthful answer.

Kinda like the helicopter pilot lost in the fog by the Microsoft building.  Holds up a sign at them that reads "Where am I?". They reply, "Your in a helicopter!".  Correct answer but totally useless.

Yep.... "Do you know what time it is?"

Answer:   Yes! :D

There's a school of thought -- see numerous videos on Youtube -- that you should not answer questions during a routine traffic stop, except for providing the required documentation. There are various scripts you can follow. 

You do not have to answer questions about how fast you were going, where you are coming from or heading to,

This takes big, brass balls, especially in this state. If the cop is having a bad day there is no end to the shit he can put you through.

On the other hand, volunteering information is just about the stupidest thing you could do. NOTHING YOU SAY TO A COP in a law enforcement setting CAN EVER HELP YOU. It can only hurt you.

When topics like this come up, I like to ask the question of how this situation could reasonably occur.

If you're speeding on your way home from the range you're just being stupid. If you can't stop yourself turn on the cruise control. Channel your great grandma, and drive like she would drive.

If you have NRA and NJ2AS decals on your car you're just asking to be stopped, especially in populated areas. You might just as well have a Grateful Dead sticker next to one of Cheech and Chong bonging up.

I've been stopped by cops at least 25 times in the last 40 years, mostly during my youth. Except for once, the only times I've ever been asked where I was coming from was at night, after 9 or 10 pm. Ranges usually close by then. If you haven't broken any major traffic law, and don't have booze on your breath, the last thing the cop wants to know is your bowling score.

My one exception was about five years ago while driving through the 21 square mile speed trap known as Andover, NJ. Cop took one look at the back seat, stacked a foot tall with dried flowers, and asked where I got them from. "Just picked them." He laughed and let me go.

Had I known then what I know now I would have informed the officer that "I do not answer questions" and badgered him with, "am I being detained? Am I free to go?" until he called for backup, and all 9 of them beat me to a pulp.

There's a definitely a middle place between confessing to the cop like he's your priest and refusing to open the window more than an inch (youtubers, lol).

Usually being polite and not looking squirrelly goes a long way.

There's a definitely a middle place between confessing to the cop like he's your priest and refusing to open the window more than an inch (youtubers, lol).

Big +1      Polite and looking squirrelly has a lot to do with it.

I was told in a NRA First pistol class if you are asked if you have any guns in your car during a routine traffic stop. Your responds should be why are you asking me that question officer.

They also told the class that the officer needs probable cause or your consent to search your car (which you should not give them) and keep all of your range equipment out of eyes view.

Exactly....

Opening the window an inch is going to make it confrontational real quick. You are correct, uf a cop asks where you are coming from and you chose not to answer it looks shady. If you are coming from the range just say the town the range is in. If he happens to ask what you were doing there just say errands. There is a way to answer without being avoidant and suspicious. I got not wanting to divulge the weapons in the car unless absolutely necessary as you bever know what type of cop you may get. I would probably talk about guns and what you have while others may not be as hospitable.

This is the advice I received from a friend who happens to be a cop.  Pull over, roll down the window, pull out your wallet but not your documents and kill the engine.  Keep your hands on the wheel, keep your mouth shut except to answer questions, Do not volunteer information but if asked about firearms directly, DO NOT LIE.  Do not use the words weapon or gun, refer to what you are transporting as firearms only.

Hey, Nick, I agree with you, but at that moment, and considering the officer's attitude, a confrontation of that nature may not be the best place to pick your battle.  That's why I prefer totally useless answers to totally useless questions.  "Hey, I'm honest and not lying, officer. Now let's move on."

Time for citizen's "dash cams".  Increasing popular all over Europe.  Camera can't lie.

Enough of this hypothetical. Please respond with actual recollection of being asked "got any weapons in the car?". Or anybody who actually said "that is not relevant to my traffic stop is it?" when they asked where you coming from.

Has nobody been pulled over lately and asked such questions? I've never been asked either. I suppose it's my resemblance to Mr DiCaprio.

Out of probably the 30 something times i've been pulled over maybe once i was asked where i was coming from or going(this was a 3am stop though), and i've never been asked about any kind of weapon..

Now a friend of mine who gets pulled over a lot always gets random questions and put through the ringer... we always wondered why until he got pulled over with me in the car and i got to see it all transpire... needless to say he probably did every single thing wrong you would never do. confrontational, agitated, scuffling through crap in the car, rude...

It's been my experience that cops have a bank of questions they ask when they observe certain things

Enough of this hypothetical. Please respond with actual recollection of being asked "got any weapons in the car?". Or anybody who actually said "that is not relevant to my traffic stop is it?" when they asked where you coming from.

Has nobody been pulled over lately and asked such questions? I've never been asked either. I suppose it's my resemblance to Mr DiCaprio.

I have been stopped for an "infraction" only twice in my (almost) 40 years of driving. In one case, I was asked "Where are you going?" To which I replied "just going home." I was then asked, "Where was that?" And I replied the town's name. Since my PO Box address (in another town/county) was on the DL and reg, that was questioned further as if I were lying (I was driving in the opposite direction... away from the town on my DL). I simply explained that I maintain a PO Box for mailing purposes only. The trooper was able to verify that both addresses were on file at the DMV.  He also asked if I knew why I had been stopped, and I told him I did not. He explained why he did, and I did not respond to it (I remained silent) which is when he asked "Where are you going." He asked me twice during the whole encounter, "Did you have anything to drink?" I replied "No" both times. He didn't pursue it any further. Since all my other papers were in order, and he became satisfied that I was being truthful and polite, he then let me go with a verbal warning as to what he stopped me for.

The other time I was stopped (before the above incident), was a local PD. The chief question asked in that encounter was, "How's your driving record?" Knowing he'd have access to the DMV, I answered truthfully, mentioning the last item on that record (of only two in total),which happened 2-years prior. The officer stopped me right there. He literally stepped away from my window, did a "360-pirouette," and said, "That's a pretty good driving record!" I guess he expected me to lie. And, again, after checking the other docs, he let me go with a verbal warning. Always be sure to stop "behind" the white solid "stop line" at a Stop sign or traffic light.

These would have been about 14 years ago. Have not been stopped for an infraction since then  <knock on wood> :D And no, I was not asked if I had weapons in the car, in either case. Ironic, since both encounters were at about 9-10pm at night.

I concur with being extremely diplomatic/polite and truthful, but not volunteering any information.Answer any direct question with a direct response that doesn't answer more than was asked. And yes, diplomacy & politeness go quite a long way. I'm doing my best to teach that to my 17y/o (and already driving) niece.

I got stopped in OH (speed related) and asked If I had any weapons.

I asked him does a pocket knife count? 

He laughed at me, and sent me on my way.

Out of probably the 30 something times i've been pulled over maybe once i was asked where i was coming from or going(this was a 3am stop though), and i've never been asked about any kind of weapon..

Now a friend of mine who gets pulled over a lot always gets random questions and put through the ringer... we always wondered why until he got pulled over with me in the car and i got to see it all transpire... needless to say he probably did every single thing wrong you would never do. confrontational, agitated, scuffling through crap in the car, rude...

It's been my experience that cops have a bank of questions they ask when they observe certain things

I too get pulled over relatively frequently.  I think its a combination of the cars I drive as well as "my look" (I gave up aggressive driving a long time ago).  

I always get the "where you coming from, going to" questions.  I've also had my car searched on occasion (I've always consented).  IMHO, saying "no" would just make them more aggressive/suspicious and they would probably still find a way to do it.   

Its for these reasons that I'm posing the question.  

I can foresee a situation where I answer his/her questions in the manner suggested above (answering honestly without volunteering), only to then have the officer find my firearms and then give me the "why didnt you tell me you were armed?" as he calls for back-up...

:(

I suppose that if it comes down to a search (which it has), its at that point I would tell him/her that I have firearms prior to the actual search? 

I can foresee a situation where I answer his/her questions in the manner suggested above (answering honestly without volunteering), only to then have the officer find my firearms and then give me the "why didnt you tell me you were armed?" as he calls for back-up...

I would not think transporting firearms in the required NJ way could be considered "armed". Unloaded and in a place you can't easily get to does not make you armed. Would you think having your firearms locked in your safe at home while you are there constitutes being armed?

Now, I have only been pulled over twice in the past 10 years.. Once was for speeding about 9 years ago and he cop asked me if I knew why I was pulled over.. I was busted going 80 in a 65.. He wrote me a ticket for 69 in a 65 since I "at least tried to slow down" which he said many dont bother with.. I had that ticket dropped to a no point violation in court.. Other time was for my wife not wearing her seatbelt.. Neither time was I asked where I was going but he did ask where I was coming from with the speeding stop.. I answered truthfully "from work".. End of conversation.. Gave me the ticket, told me to go slower and I drove away..

I have found if you are courteous when pulled over, they are a lot less likely to give you crap.. Act like a d'ck or act evasive or shady and you will be given a hard time.. IMO saying "that's not relevant to this stop" is not going to make it go faster.. I agree with those that say to answer generically but truthfully.. And don't be pissy or confrontational cuz that will only end worse for you.. Just my opinion..

Oh and don't offer up firearms unless you are specifically asked.. And you won't be asked if you are more courteous

Couple of points here.

The LEO should not be asking you where you were coming from unless he suspected DUI and is trying to build his case. For a "regular" stop, he is instructed to only advise of his name, department, and your violation. Those instructions are given to him in the academy, by his trainer, and are written on the ticket book. I think many get into the habit of asking questions in a interrogative manner. If not nipped in the bud early on, it makes for a bad attitude in the future.

Also IMO, it is not against the law to lie to an LEO. It becomes an offense when one tries to hide a crime or an offense. If you are not doing anything wrong, you can lie.