ryan_j

Buying an AR, risky?

through my experience talking to active gun owners at work.....many many gun owners have no clue as to the shenanigans going on in this state concerning gun laws. i do my best to inform them.

True. Happened to me a few times, too. Conversation goes along these lines:

"I don't understand why people need ARs, anyway."

"Did you know your semi-auto clay gun would be banned?"

"What???"

Are you so afraid that someone may take something from you that you would deny yourself even the possibility of owning something?  Why have a car because someone may steal it? Why own a house when it might burn down? Why have a girlfriend or wife if one day the relationship my fail?

Why live, when one day you will die?

to sum it up... YOLO! ;)

(sorry, i couldn't help myself)

Honestly, my suggestion is not to buy the AR.

In four years Beretta might finally produce an ARX100, so if you are going to wait four years, at least wait for something that will be a hit with the ladies.  

I bought one when I thought they were going to revamp the law last year. I just thought it would be better to have one with the hopes of getting in under the rope or grandfathered in. I'd rather have it and have to figure it out, then to not and be breaking the law just thinking about getting one.

if they are in common use, why is there no suit ?> why has there been no suit in NY?

NJ is gonna do EXACTLY what NY did ...but no "in common use" suit?

Why is there no 14th  amendment suit?  I am a gun owner, why am I being oppressed?

Because they haven't tried to ban anything in common use since the 2nd was upheld as an individual right and became incorporated. It would require someone to have been breaking the law. SO you could ewither come forward and be prosecuted and possibly do time, or you don't have a defendant to take to court. On top of that, the history of going up the ladder to the SCOTUS doesn't generally fair that well when you bring a felon along, it is better to have an aggrieved law abiding citizen that has been harmed by the passage of a law. There is a third option of forming a class, but given that politics in NJ is less varied on the spectrum than most every other state, and our courts are what they are, the odds of being permitted to form a class and have it make it to court in the first place are low. 

Do you know about the AWB book being kept at the direction of the NJSP at FFL locations?

Anything evil or black looking is to be put in THAT book................

The ATF thinks it's silly and has no problem with the Normal BOUND book.  The AWB bound Book. The repairs BOUND book and the Black Powder BOUND book...

are you saying the NJSP is currently requiring dealers to log evil black rifles in a separate bound book?  

what info is kept in those books?

To the best of my knowledge yes............as part of site inspections it has been mandated by the interviewing/inspection trooper that a separate bound book with all potential AWB items, lowers, full rifles etc that would normally be in a BOUND book with everything else, MUST be kept in a separate AWB book.

As of what date?

The whole I lost it in a boating accident is comical..........there *IS* a paper trail that CAN be traced........

OH and BTW, private sales, yes can be traced as well..................

forget the boating accident. I turned everything in at the gun buy back to pay my bills in this bad economy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Not going to argue with you Paul, but that question was asked and the answer was, NJ compliant or NOT, if it had any of the AWB features such as removeable magazine, pistol grip etc......it was to go in the 'other' book......

From what I gather they even want lowers in the 'other' book........

Regardless WHAT book it is in......if someone wants the data......it is there....

Why would the NJ state police be doing this under the direction of Christie?

Lot's of fireplace kindling sitting with all these FFL's...................... I happen to like blue, can someone anodize an AR blue instead of black and keep me out of the "Bad Black Book"?

Hey Paul, you missing our single digit weather and double-digit snowfall in Joisey?  :)

Buy anything "fun" in Free America?

Lot's of fireplace kindling sitting with all these FFL's...................... I happen to like blue, can someone anodize an AR blue instead of black and keep me out of the "Bad Black Book"?

Hey Paul, you missing our single digit weather and double-digit snowfall in Joisey?  :)  Hell No!!

Buy anything "fun" in Free America? Not yet. I will be shortening some barrels soon.

To the best of my knowledge yes............as part of site inspections it has been mandated by the interviewing/inspection trooper that a separate bound book with all potential AWB items, lowers, full rifles etc that would normally be in a BOUND book with everything else, MUST be kept in a separate AWB book.  They want anything that looks black, military, semi auto to be in THAT book...inclusive of shotguns meeting "evil looking criteria..."

What is kept in that book...is the:

Line number of the transaction, who the firearms came from with date, whom it got transferred to, with date as well as DL info name address etc.......

So, *IF*, they wanted, they can take that book at without not too much trouble find out who has what.  

Do not think that in this state, that is beyond the pale............... 

There are ( 352 ) licensed dealers in NJ..how long do you think it would take a group of X number of troopers to execute searches for the books alone...?

https://www.atf.gov/content/statistics-listing-federal-firearms-licensees

Not trying to be paranoid or inflammatory...........but you are not hiding anything if someone wants to spend the time to LOOK.......it is ALL right there for the asking and taking....

The whole I lost it in a boating accident is comical..........there *IS* a paper trail that CAN be traced........

OH and BTW, private sales, yes can be traced as well..................

how do they trace private sales of long arms?  they just track down the COE?  if the papers werent lost. 

Seriously, where is this coming from? It's not a law. The legislature can't boss the state police around, they obey the direction of Christie.

I'm not bringing this up to bag on Christie, I'm bringing it up because I think it is important. They answer to Christie. I am being told they have been doing this for about a year, and it mimics some of the legislation we have seen proposed over the past year. So, somebody told them to do it.

IMO if COE's are claimed to be lost............do you want to be the last known person to own XYV gun and NOT be able to show it's disposition...  If you cannot 'technically' you can argue that it should still be in your control, so if its stolen or sold...even if you do not have the COE you would be able to at least give the next person in line.......if sold....if stolen you should have reported it...

it is all a matter of how much time someone wants to put it...thats my only point

i havent sold any guns and dont plan on it so its really a non-issue for me.  if they think i owned it at one point, i most likely still do.  but i have "lost" all my paperwork.  mostly not on purpose

True. Happened to me a few times, too. Conversation goes along these lines:

"What???"

My Conversation with gun owners went like this:

"Oh well, I'll get rid of it"

"I don't understand why people need ARs, anyway and this law does affect me so I don't care"

It's unbelievable how dumb some people are.