jtd771

Jeep Wrangler Rental

My wife has decided that she wants to replace her car with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  She's ridden in one once or twice in college but that was about 15 years ago.  I've tried to explain how their main purpose is off road capability and ride comfort comes second.  I don't think she's understanding what I am saying.  This would be one of those soccer mom Jeeps that never leaves the pavement and I don't want to make a $30,000 purchase that she's going to hate for the next 8 to 10 years.  My thinking is that maybe the best option would be to rent one for a week and have her "live" with it to be sure she really wants one beyond the looks and image.  I've looked at the major rental agencies but it doesn't appear that they rent them here in New Jermany.  Anyone know if I can rent one in the Sussex / Morris County area?

They're pretty yuppie these days. AC, power windows, nav, and the like. Jeeps are for girls now.

I think they still have solid fronts which are cool. Probably not leafs anymore though.

The unlimited has a much better ride than the short wheel base. Try it, you may like it.

If you're planning to keep it long term and get the soft top, expect to replace it every few years.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

The new Wranglers are light years ahead of what they were. However IMHO 37k for a nicely equipped 4door Wrangler is absurd. But with a lift kit, new rims and tires, they look really cool. I used to own a '89, my close friends owned a '98, and a late model and the difference and upgrades from model to model made it more comfortable as a daily driver.

Well first, each model is not the same. I just picked up a 2014 unlimited Rubicon and the ride is a bit stiff with the off-road options... the sport has a little better ride, and the Sahara has an on-road suspension for riding comfort. Any unlimited will ride ride better then the 2-door. The JK's unlimited ride great... i went from a 2 door Honda to this beast and i'm loving it. They also have a Much MUCH better motor in them since 2012. NOW, they are still not like any other SUV, they are still a jeep and will have jeep problems... My doors leak when it downpours, or at least it did 2 weeks ago when we got some really nasty rain... but the past couple days have managed to keep the rain out. Not sure if that's a problem with the new seals needing to break in a little.

The problem is... if you like jeeps, you typically find the latter boring. But on the plus side... the vehicle is basically idiot proof in terms of other drivers.. i was sick of door dings and bumper rash, wont ever be dealing with that again.

The new Wranglers are light years ahead of what they were. However IMHO 37k for a nicely equipped 4door Wrangler is absurd. But with a lift kit, new rims and tires, they look really cool. I used to own a '89, my close friends owned a '98, and a late model and the difference and upgrades from model to model made it more comfortable as a daily driver.

I paid less than that for my 2014 rubicon with 10 miles and 430n Navy.. it wasn't loaded, but it was "nicely equipped". Has the painted hardtop..

If your going to be in the market for one i seriously advise looking out of state for one.. I found mine down in NC, you'd have no idea how difficult it was to find one in 6-seed with a decent price tag.

They're pretty yuppie these days. AC, power windows, nav, and the like. Jeeps are for girls now.

I think they still have solid fronts which are cool. Probably not leafs anymore though.

They haven't had leaf springs for over 15 years, since the TJ's. Very little has changed, but what has changed are creature comforts. Jeeps used to be pretty bad vehicles to drive on the road and would bounce all over the place. You can still buy them without the power option and barebone, or with all the gimmicks.. You can buy a jeep made for off-road or for you 17 year old daughter. The Rubicons have Dana 44 locking axles and the electronic sway bar and off-road suspension.. the Sahara is your typical grocery getter. They expanded the market dramatically with the JK. IMO it went down hill when they put a MPG readout in the dash...

Ouch!  I just got a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited three months ago, and I love it!  I don't do any off-roading, but I got it to replace an old Mountaineer that I kept on hand for when I go trail running, in bad weather, and for trips to the range.  I never was a fan of the two-door version, but this one is so nice, that I use it most of the time.  My GF doesn't like that it's a little tough getting into and out of when we're dressed up, so I've kept my more conventional car for when we go out.

I don't think I would be any happier with a Range Rover at twice the price.  And I have not heard much about Wranglers being carjacked.

Sorry, I can't rent it to you, but if you guys are in the area, I'd be happy to take you for a ride, let you and/or her drive it, and talk guns with you.  I'm in Wayne.  PM me if you're interested.

I had an 04 Rubicon and loved it. Then I went to a 2011 Unlimited sport and it sucked. It leaked so bad it went back lemon law now I have a Tundra. My 04 never leaked with either top. My 11 leaked with both tops at the A and B pillers. Ive heard they are better now but 37,000 for a car that leaks. No. Like I said my 04 Rubi was fantastic.

they changed the door seals around 2012-2013... It's down pouring here, so i'll get back to you guys on how well these new seals are holding up... but i was really pissed when i found water in it.. Your one of many people who had that issue, A co-worker had the their 2011 at jeep about 5 times before they came out with the new seals that finally solved the issue.

I used to drive my girlfriends back from Brooklyn quit often. She had a some kind of Wrangler 2008, it was the worst piece of crap I have ever driven. The road noise and bouncing all over the road was a joke. The only time it was fun was around town with the top off. If I had to drive that every day I would of wrecked it and bought a Hyundai they have to be better. Don't make your wife mad get her something descent!!

Sounds like your wife might be a JEEP CHIC, might not be nothing you can do but get her one!

2014 Cherokee (for going out)

2002 TJ (4 inch lift, 33's, and 4:11) to keep the fun in going to work

1983 CJ just for the pure FUN of it......

(And hard tops are nothing but a pain in the ass.....)

I used to drive my girlfriends back from Brooklyn quit often. She had a some kind of Wrangler 2008, it was the worst piece of crap I have ever driven. The road noise and bouncing all over the road was a joke. The only time it was fun was around town with the top off. If I had to drive that every day I would of wrecked it and bought a Hyundai they have to be better. Don't make your wife mad get her something descent!!

If you thought the ride was bad in a 2008, then don't ever get behind the wheel of anything pre-JK.

If you want a lifted car, buy every other suv out there, you can get a Grand Cherokee for the same price. if you want a truck buy a wrangler or something with a Bed. Wranglers ride like any other type of truck with a bed.. They bounce, they have body roll...and have a dynamic suspension for off road articulation...  I used to drive a lowered 2dr honda accord.. going from that to a rubicon was night and day... but i still think it handles good for a tuck, but Hyundai Sante Fe will out handle one... but thats apples and oranges.

HVent had leafs since the last YJ rolled off the assembly line in 98

The New JKU or wrangler Unlimited is a girls car now a days. Although they still have solid axles they are on coil spring on all 4 corners. They ride like a car, not like a Jeep anymore, especially with the JKU's extended wheelbase. I'm in 2 Jeep clubs and we make fun of the guys that own them in the club about the unlimited's being "mall crawlers" instead of "rock crawlers". But they actually are very capable off-road despite their modern creature comforts. & yeah they aren't cheap IMO. The new model thats coming out for 2016 is going to be even less Jeep like from the reviews I've read so far, and more SUV like. A Jeep isn't supposed to be an SUV, its a Jeep.

HVent had leafs since the last YJ rolled off the assembly line in 98

the last YJ was 1995, they didn't make a wrangler in 1996. And the first TJ rolled off the line in the 1997 model and ran until 2006, the JK line began in 2007 till present. But you are correct the TJ is the second generation wrangler and the first with coil spring suspension.

Well said!

If you want a car, buy a car. If you want a truck, buy a truck. If you want something that does it all, buy a Jeep.

remember when every jeep used to wave to you? Now the soccer moms in the JK's pretend they didn't see you lol. I stopped waving unless they wave to me first. "Its a Jeep thing, You wouldn't understand" :)

I'll also throw out that I'm pissed off that Fiat has this obsession with ruining old Mopar/AMC names. The Daytona, GTX, and RamRunner (cringe) trucks, and now Cherokee, Renegade, and Wagoneer Jeeps. WTF. I can understand the dumb names on trucks, but anyone looking to buy a FWD bias crossover POS doesn't care about a 30 year old 4x4 station wagon. 

I'll also throw out that I'm pissed off that Fiat has this obsession with ruining old Mopar/AMC names. The Daytona, GTX, and RamRunner (cringe) trucks, and now Cherokee, Renegade, and Wagoneer Jeeps. WTF. I can understand the dumb names on trucks, but anyone looking to buy a FWD bias crossover POS doesn't care about a 30 year old 4x4 station wagon.

I agree with that (even though I own a Rumble Bee), but its still better than driving a Ford. (A dig at your avatar) I figure my next work van won't be another E350 since they don't make them anymore. Guess I'll have to buy a Chevy once the two Fords I'm running now finally die... uggg!:angry:

Sorry for the thread derailment.