mcbethr

I feel like I'm losing my interest

I have limited my hobbies over the years and am down to just a few. My guns, motorcycle and computers. I've become a couch potatoe at times. I found over the years that I don't lose interest in my hobbies, just get aggravated about something or just get side tracked. I have in the past, just got so aggravated with riding my motorcycle, I just sold it and went on hiatus for awhile. After thinking about why after awhie, I found my reasons for past loss of interest.

Back in early to mid 90's, every effing road in NJ was under contruction. There was traffic everywhere you turned. You actually had to sit in traffic to get to the country just to have a nice ride. Being on the road and sitting in it all day just depleted me entirely for driving anything, anywhere. Finally, few years later, someone offered me a deal on another bike that intrigued me. I road regularly. Here it is '14 and I've lost some interest again. Bad weather, mulitple deaths in the family, etc... Just can't get riding time in again... Thinking of selling it all over again.

Computers, same thing. Been into it too many decades. As I get older, I have less and less tolerance for the BS in the 'puter world. I do not sit at my desk hardly at all now except in mornings to read the news and drink coffee... Doesn't mean I'll get rid of them... because a necessity they are.

----Finally my guns. I've been owning/shooting over 35 years. This hobby is the stickiest. It's interest involves money all the time. Then again, so does motorcycling which is my main hobby. But you don't have to spend alot to go for a ride and gas, while not cheap, you do not have to jump through hurdles to get. I've gone from a total hiatus on guns, then get back into rifles, then concentrated on hand guns, back to rifles. During those times, it was just me losing interest only a tad. I sold all my collectibles because I wanted guns I can shoot, not just look at. But now, the biggest hurdle as others have also mentioned, is getting what you want for your hobby. It's one of the few hobbies, (especially if you live in NJ), that will actually burn you out big time. Getting permits: big hurdle, buying guns: a hurdle, getting ammo, time to go to the range, etc., etc... All while trying to defend your 2A rights... It's a very stressfull time for gun owners. I can see why people are burning out all aspects of the hobby. (This I believe is what the politicians are trying to accomplish)...

My wife last night kindly reminded me that I spent a boat load of money on guns the past couple years. Now it's time to calm down. So a slight hiatus it will be once more.

Range time, cost money, ammo just to throw at paper cost money, etc., etc... I was going to the range a few times a week. Now it's maybe a few times a month.

Years ago it was so easy to go to the range. Range time was like $3-4 an hour and if it wasn't crowded, they could care less how long you stayed. Ranges would provide you reloads to purchase at about $3.50 a box of .38spc wad or semi wad cutters. So a short ride and about $18 bux could get you a nice day at the range cheap. Now it cost me about... $50-$60 bux to do the same thing.

So don't be dimayed about your feelings. Times change, sometimes forcing deviations of life's enjoyments. All in all, I always came back and started again... Hang in there bro....

Car, Motorcycles, guns......   my 3 vices.....

And yes..... sometimes 1 or more get put to the side for a time....   No real rhyme or reason..... just does.....

Guns are my third hobby for sure.....  at times I dont shoot for weeks at a time. I intend to take some more classes, can't seem to get to it......   I also think I have enough guns ( blasphemy ) ......  because I am not a "collector" ......

Motorcycles.... getting back into that more and more.....   and when I lose some more weight, I think some longer distance rides are in store...

GTO..... well.... that goes without saying is #1, but even that can get put to the side for a bit at times.....  in the heat of the summer July/August, I tend to let it sit, but Sept/Oct, back in full swing until the bad weather hits.....

So we all have our cycles, don't feel guilty ......  it's normal

I love the shooting sports and I have a nice selection of guns to shoot, but when it comes time to take care of my two young kids, my personal time for shooting comes up short these days. Still, I want to be prepared in case I ever need to defend myself and family, and I'm hoping that in the next couple of years my son and daughter will show some interest and then they can come with me.

I do this sometimes.  The biggest pain in the ass when it comes to shooting is how out of the way it is for me... Want to shoot a rifle?  Gotta drive almost an hour to get to an outdoor range.  Want to do pistol? 25 minutes each way.

Want to do 3-gun or a rifle match, gotta wake up at the ass-crack of dawn on a weekend to do it. 

Not enough money or time for this sometimes... friends getting married, gotta go travel across the country to it.  Friends want to go on a vacation, gotta put money aside for that.  One thing my friends don't do is shoot... so it makes it an almost solo hobby for me...

I think if you sold everything in the long run you would regret it especially if the laws change and you are no longer able to purchase the same item again.

Respectfully disagree; done it twice, and I don't regret anything. Actually, thinning out my collection got me back into shooting.

America is a consumerist and material-driven society - and while every industry has sales pressure, the shooting industry can be a bit much. If you don't BUY RIGHT NOW TODAY the latest light/rail-gun/laser-grips/night sights/holster/tac-pac/AR/holo-sight/single-stack 9/whatever, you're a bad patriot, a bad man, and your family will be eaten by cannibals.

I ended up with a big collection, almost none of which inspired me to practice. So I picked a number to keep, sold everything else, and concentrated on other hobbies. I'm also into biking (NJ has some surprisingly good mountain biking trails). I shoot in a weeknight league now; my collection is very small, but everything has a purpose. I'd rather have one $3,000 gun than five $1,000 guns - and that works for me. Good luck with it.

It's normal. I'm on a year break right now after going nuts for a few years. It's a cycle for me with all if my hobbies. Just don't sell. I learned that lesson with motorcycles. Everytime I think I'm done I sell. Then the bug hits again and I'm out at the dealer. Take a break, the cycle will return again.

I do understand what the OP is referring to and I guess that why I have a few hobbies to keep things interesting.  

Owning guns are expensive, and I think by far is the most expensive hobby I had to date and the most difficult to have a social group with.  I rode sport bikes for about 8+ years and finally gave it up.  I remember getting on forums to met other riders, get a time and place and off we go or we setup track days 3-5 times a year.  It was easy to met people with same interest, I've ridden with upto 50+ bikes but in the end it was just 4-6 responsible riders.  Too much testosterone makes it dangerous and easy target for popos.  However, it wasn't exactly cheap either because each track day is $350+ considering all the associated cost.  It also assumes you don't dump the bike somehow.  But back road was great, just need to getup at 6am on Sunday morning and beat the crowds.

I was also into paintball for 10+ years and that was pretty exciting, the markers were upwards of $1,000 and entire setup will set you back about $1,500 but that's cheap when compared to looking at the contents in the safe.  I only need 2 marker to have fun but I have a dozen guns?!?! ... LOL ... Each paintball day was about $150 a day all said and done and 2x a month. We had the regular 6-8 guys and it can easily swell to 15+ when the weather is nice.  It was also easy to get people to play together because they didn't need to be approved by the gov't.  

Snowboarding is still one of our main hobbies, but it's seasonal and depending where we went it could be a money suck as well.... and once again, easier to have friends because you don't need a permit to ski/board.

I've only climbed indoors and at that time, I had too many hobbies so I didn't invest too much time and money.  I too was interested in the fitness aspect of the sport.  

Being only into gun for a little over two years, I've only met a handful of people that I can count with one hand and honestly it's kinda lonely.... LOL .. being what I'm used to from other hobbies.  I'm pretty fortunate that my wife shoot and board with me.  So I guess my gripe is that it's relatively difficult to find new friends to shoot with.  We only shoot about 2x a month.  But knowing what I know now, I would still pick up the hobby/sport despite the cost and lack of social gathering.  Although we did just try USPSA and seems like it's a good way to meet people, I guess time will tell.

I get like that too.  For me, Im trying to run a side business, work full time, and take care of a family.  So for shooting, its mainly time and certainly money.  I cant justify spending hundreds of dollars on ammo every month when my wife is out on dissability and we are expecting another child.  Just doesnt work that way.  So ill continue to shoot once every month or so, hold onto my PRIMARY firearms, and just go with the flow.

My wife tells me I have way too many hobbies and they all cost money... Yup thats me, I love my hobbies but never have the time to do them anymore.

Which is why I play poker until midnight lol

Was the gun thing just a phase?  Has this happened to anyone else here?

I got into hot and heavy a little over 2 years ago as a way to spend more time with my oldest son.  The middle son plays baseball and I'm very involved and supportive of that sport with him and so it was nice to find something for me and my oldest to do together.  He was my fishing buddy but after a few bouts of seasickness lost his desire. 

I joined a range, bought guns, ammo, a dillon 650, set of steel plates...the whole magilla.  We started designing USPSA stages and were very active in that and Speed on Steel.

Then he got a job that requires him to work weekends.

I think I've shot 4 or 5 times in calendar year 2014.

It happens. I have five major hobbies: pool (pocket billiards), chess, bridge, gardening, and shooting. 

I went from age 18 to 30 without playing a rated chess game, then from 30 to about 45 without playing. When I returned I finally achieved an expert's rating. I semi-retired three years ago when the Hackettstown Chess Club became too much work. I still follow the game closely.

I've also gone through spurts with bridge. I love the game but there's nowhere to play around here. The pool of competitive players is seriously aging -- average age is something like 70 -- so I'll probably never have another decent partner. I play online with a dear friend about 40x a year.

Pool has been even more intermittent. Was good in college, joined a league three years ago but the guys were not my cup of tea, so I quit. I practice every few months at a pool hall on Rte. 10.

I look forward to gardening each spring, but by leaf-raking time I've had enough.

I'm relatively new to shooting (seriously less than three years; although I have been shooting since age 14). Right now it's my favorite hobby. I look forward to visiting Cherry Ridge, and get bummed during weeks that I can't make it. As other posters have noted, even if you don't like to go bang bang bang those weapons are still useful for something :)

It's been a very intense couple of years for gun owners - especially in NJ.   I'm feeling drained from all the anti gun activity and have started to back off.  I still love my guns and still love to shoot but I'm feeling less motivated to "get involved".

Indeed. You may have noticed the change in my signature, from "proud member of..." to "semi-disgusted member of..."

Indeed. You may have noticed the change in my signature, from "proud member of..." to "semi-disgusted member of..."

I used to have one more NJ Pro 2A organization in my signature line. Unfortunately several of us were told that we had visited the "wrong" facebook page and are no longer allowed to participate.

I used to have one more NJ Pro 2A organization in my signature line. Unfortunately several of us were told that we had visited the "wrong" facebook page and are no longer allowed to participate.

This is funny. Can you provide some specifics? I believe the NJ2AF is a bit kooky.

it's normal man , your interests will waver between different things you like to do.  As long as you have the means to do them, it's a good problem to have.  Now that my kids are older and making their own weekly agendas, i have more time to myself(praise be).  I was a big into fishing , every weekend morning, then it was golf and both of those eat huge chunks of time. Only now that i'm at the half-century mark that i have been bitten by the shooting bug , always wanted to shoot since i was a kid , but i shacked up with an anti and put it on the burner for another day. that time is now but came after 20yrs . Now i enjoy shooting very much but can't help but wonder how long it will last? ...  still with the anti btw,.. slow roasting this conversion process.... it's tough   

I certainly agree with that last statememnt.  Fortunetly firearms tend to at least hold their value if not go up.  Its not like buying an ATV then several years down the road you sell it for a loss.  EVERY gun I have ever sold I have pretty much at least gotten my money back on...

I find it EXTREMELY interesting that not a single Action Shooter and/or member of a Club that holds League Shoots (that they participate in) has got onto this thread and stated for the record that they are "giving-up" or lost interest in shooting or that shooting isn't "athletic enough" for their mid-life crisis.  Yes, Kingsoverqueens used to go out with his kid to League Shoots, and the son got a typical "teenager job" that sucks weekend time up, but even he got out almost once a month to a match.  To Kingsoverqueens:  Time to GET OVER IT!  My son moved 1K miles away (he's now 900 miles closer).  I drove out to Iowa with his guns and mine and we went shooting together.  Where there's a will, there's a WAY and you can find it for you two before he goes away to college!   Hell, I used to drive to my son's college with guns in the car and take him to an indoor range in the college town, go out to lunch with him, drive him back to campus and come back home to have dinner with the wife. 

So maybe Vlad and Mike are right, and the key to staying involved is to be able to SHOOT AND MOVE instead of just standing there like a Putz in a "firing lane" (most often indoors) where you pay by the hour to punch holes in paper?  Or maybe it's time for hand gun shooters to try rifles, shotguns (firing at clay birds in the air), even, God forbid, BLACK POWDER?  Or go Tactical/Commando and try 3-Gun!  If 15 yr. old Girls like Katelyn Francis can do 3-Gun (she's on You-Tube, Facebook, etc.) some of you mid-life crisis guys ought to be able to still bend enough to try it, lol!  Or maybe it's time to join a Club that has exciting Leagues where new friends that you haven't met yet are waiting to help with your every question and mentor you to new levels of ability in disciplines you haven't yet tried?

I guess it all boils-down to thinking that guns are a "hobby".  In 44 years of firearms experience I have FAILED to ever hold them in such disdain.  Tools, protectors, self-defense implements, hunting hardware.  Yes they are these things and many more.  But a "Hobby" such as stamp collecting or car racing (sorry Mike) or any of a thousand other things?  NO!  Guns to me are a necessary part of everyday life.  Not a single day goes by that I don't do something with one of my guns, be it compete in all of the various disciplines I'm involved in, teach a new shooter, help a women's gun club, stand-up for our collective 2A rights or merely write advice on this forum or Facebook.  For better or worse, guns are ME and I have become the Gun.

Rosie is built like a cannon but he can move if-needed.  ;)

I am not sure if you need a handgun permit for a black powder pistol, what's the answer Rosie?

And make sure you ask Dave (Rosie) first about the different types of black powder guns before you buy anything. He is a library full of knowledge!

McBeth, hobbies come and go, however skill at arms needs to be maintained thru out ones life  time. Over fifty years ago my dad gave me my first firearm, taught me how to use it along with  the wood skills of a hunter. I firmly believe that the things he showed me/taught me served me well in combat.

Over the years I have been involved in many shooting sports that in the end for me just mainly evolved around maintaining a skill set level. I was lucky in that my job paid for lots and lots of shooting and training for almost 40 years and loved every moment of it. 

Focus on maintaining your skill level and the rest will fall into place. If you need more reasons then this look to history or the nightly news to give you the incentive to maintain your skills at arm.  

We live in a free country and this alone is reason enough to own,maintain and shoot firearms.  JMOP. Take care and good luck.

Hey hobbies change all the time...no biggie IMHO. Very normal.

You're correct that shooting is a very expensive hobby. But as I like to tell my wife "everyone has a hobby...you like Louboutin shoes...they like [insert hobby]."

So keep the guns in the safe with a decent ammo supply. You never know when you'll pick it up again.

Now that is interesting. I kind of like that idea.  Maybe I'll get a permit just for a black powder pistol.

Just got back from Wildwood Crest and Cape May vacation, so didn't see this until just now!

You don't need a permit to purchase a black powder pistol!  Just drive across the border into Free America (say PA.), and you can buy one (or a 100) at any gun store (even Cabela's), Walmart, or several "Go-To" Guru's the likes of which I deal with year-round for guns and supplies.  Both single-shot flintlock and percussion, rifled or smoothbore, or something like a Civil War era revolver.  All without a purchase permit!  And it's completely LEGAL!   Since it's legal to buy in PA you only need to "secure it" (as you would any other hand gun) while crossing the border into the PRNJ and transiting the State of NJ while "sorta directly en-route to your dwelling".   But don't be so damn quick to cross the border:

If you buy the hand gun in PA (PM me for details via phone on where the best selection is), you can stop to shop at Cabela's, stop for smoked meats and home made pies at Dietrich's Meats, shop for cigars at Cigar International, stop for lunch and/or dinner, even visit a Winery and do a tasting!  All without the FEAR of persecution from the STATE of the PRNJ!  So that means food, fuel, restroom, and the "Red-Neck Quadfecta":  Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and EXPLOSIVES all bought within an eleven mile stretch of Rt. 78, all on the same day, in ANY order, in Free America!  WOOT-WOOT!

If your serious about considering purchasing a black powder pistol or rifle, I can either show you my collection or invite you to attend an Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club Black Powder League Shoot on the 1st Sunday of each month, beginning at 9:00 am at our outdoor range facility located off Co. Rt. 516.  Lots to see and most members will let you try their guns to see if you like that model, either single-shot or revolver.  It's a Win-Win and you don't even have to clean the gun(s) you shoot, lol!  So give me a PM if ya wanna show-up and get some smoke on yer kisser!

Dave

Rosie is built like a cannon but he can move if-needed.  ;)

I am not sure if you need a handgun permit for a black powder pistol, what's the answer Rosie?

And make sure you ask Dave (Rosie) first about the different types of black powder guns before you buy anything. He is a library full of knowledge!

Thanks Mike!  Remember one of these days that Britni is supposed to give it a whirl too, lol!

Take care and be well!