Jag07

Foggy/oxidized headlights

My GF's car has some pretty foggy/oxidized headlights. I've been doing some internet digging on ways to fix the problem aside from new housings. 

So, I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with some of the kits available for lens restoration for oxidized housings. I have heard good things about the Sylvania kit. 

There is also the simple do it yourself way with some automotive wet-dry high grit ( ie 2000-3000grit) sandpaper, soapy water and then some plastic polishing compound ( equivalent to 5000 grit I think). 

Thanks for any help/opinions.

KCCO

Personally I like the turtle wax kit with the spray, compound and pads.

Like this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wax-Headlight-Lens-Restorer-Kit/16927980

The last shop I worked at started using it and I've done most of my own and family's stuff with it now. Works out pretty good.

Chive on!

I'd say any toothpaste that has a decent amount of abrasive in it, since toothpaste is basically just a very mild (and minty) polishing compound.  Ordinary white toothpaste would give the most bang for the buck, I guess.   Youtube has a lot of demonstration videos.  

I used the "mothers ball" on my cordless drill with some "3M finesse it" on my mother's 01 Civic. They look like brand new!

But a bottle of "finesse it" isn't cheap, professional body shop quality finishing compound.

Posted Image

post-7008-14040980648_thumb.jpg

I have buffed many headlights before. I use a heavy cut buffing compound and a buffer then follow it up with a fine compound and they will look like new. I even went over some headlights that the owner used one of the head light restorer kits on and I made them allot better. OP- if your near flemington and want to bring the car over I will buff it for you for free. PM me if your interested

I've used the kits and they work great. For $20 gives you everything you need.

I will admit to taking a machine to them after to get them pristine but it depends on how far you want to go. Mine have last a year and still look good but I need to take the wheel to them again to keep up with them oxidizing.

Wet sandpaper and a sealer afterwards worked  great. This last time went with 3M Kit for $20 and it worked just as well only faster.  Stretched it out and got two cars done.  Cheaper than replacement headlight assemblies.   

Wow, Thanks everyone. That was fast and ran the entire gambit of options. It is good to hear that almost everything will give you good results with some work. 

I will probably first try the toothpaste and then one of the kits if I don't like the results. I don't have the buffers and wet sandpaper lying around like some of you luckier folk. If, I can figure out how to post pics I'll show my results. 

Thanks for all the advice.

KCCO

I looked into similar compounds for my old Crown Vic before, but then I checked aftermarket headlights on ebay, did the math and realized that in the end of the day I'd be better off just replacing the headlights. Yes, you can spend just $20-30 on compounds / polishing stuff, but you'll have to spend a decent amount of time and efforts polishing without any guaranteed result. I did the similar thing on my other Hyundai getting aftermarket lights for ~$40 each and I was very happy with the results (~2 years so far with no issues).

Clearly if you have Infinity / Mercedes with exorbitant prices for genuine parts and low availability of aftermarket ones polishing might be the only option, but if you have a more common car make and cheap parts are available, I'd personally go this route.

I am in the replace it mode, too.

While you can do a good job polishing the lens, the reflector is losing it's mirror finish at the same time.

And, after polishing the lens, you have to clear coat it, or it will oxidize even faster.

New headlights and new bulbs make it feel like a new car.