lunker

Snow Blower Recommendations

I am getting ready for my first New England winter, having moved from the Jersey Shore up to New Hampshire a few months back. I am looking to buy a 2 stage gas snow blower. My driveway and front walkways are not too big, but I would rather buy one that will accommodate larger ones for when I purchase a home here. 

Are there any recommendations for brands and models to look at or avoid? I have read a lot of negative reviews about the Craftsmen snow blowers having an old (and not good) design. 

Are Power Smart, Yard Machines, and Sno-Teck quality brands? I haven't heard of them, but they seem to have gotten a lot of decent reviews, although most of them seem to be from the casual user who may not have to contend with as much snow as I probably will. 

I have an Ariens that I am happy with, however, if I were to contend with NH storms, I would prepare myself more appropriately with an old Gravely walk behind tractor and a snow cannon.  They are beasts, and they make OSHA inspectors CRINGE.

There are several good brands, the rest aren't.    Most of the "off brands" are built by MTD Yard machines...and they're junky.  They will work, but they will fall apart quickly.

Honda, Ariens, John Deere won't fall apart and will give you years of service.

If you can stomach the price tag, get a Honda, if you have a JD dealer nearby give them a hard look.  Otherwise buy an Ariens.

I ran a bunch of different machines years back and the really big ones i.e. greater than 32" are a workout but you'll need bigger than a 24 to eat enough snow. I would avoid a tracked model unless you have some serious terrain you need to navigate.   Get the bigger motor model.  Trust me on this one.  One a huge dump of a storm, it will save you a ton of time.

Heated handgrips are nice, specially when it's really cold.    Most of the blowers these days have aggressive treaded tires and don't buy chains unless you find you really need it.  I suspect you won't.

In my 29 yrs of owning a home I've only had one machine and its still going strong. An Ariens 24" that was old when given to me 28 yrs ago, Built like a tank , all heavy metal no cheap sheetmetal anywhere. however the engine did blow up the second time of use lol but i cant account for its former yrs. The new Tecumsuh SnoKing engine put on then is still as powerful and manually starts up always. The usual stuff like a belt & sheer pins are the only issues all that time but did replace the recoil and got some welding done to it this past winter. It gets a lot of use, my house& sidewalk, neighbors same than off to my moms. Every time it snows. My Ariens is a rock star as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, can’t recommend anything but I’m looking to upgrade my 30 + year old  Craftsman’s. It served us well but I think its time. I bookmarked this site http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/ last year to look this year. I will probably buy local but the site could be good for looking over models and reviews

I have a friend in the northwoods of Mass. Has a three stage cub cadet 26" he picked up on snow blowers direct   Swears its the best he has even own. 

I too own a Cub Cadet but the 28" model.  I would agree that it is a great machine ( I have a 36" walk behind Cub Cadet mower that is great also)

You will get a boatload of snow in NH. NJ doesn't prepare you at all. DO NOT SKIMP!!!!!! Buy a large (13.5Horse 28") model. Honda is considered a top brand. Ariens is also good. If you go Ariens get the deluxe or platinum version they are more heavy duty. Stay away from box store versions, they wont last 3 years.

My inlaws are by Franconia and they get 2'+ storms 5-6 times a years. 5" storms are considered a "dusting". Don't know how much you have to clear, but in general bigger is better.

I have 2 Honda's that I bought new about 10 years ago for the first 3 years they where used to clean snow in a very large condo complex. Now I use them exclusively at my house and they are still going strong.

I just found a Honda Snow Blower dealer online (not many places seem to carry the two stage models) and gagged on the price. I should've remembered how expensive Hondas were from back when I bought a gas generator. Right now I am looking at the 24" Ariens Compact two stage with 208cc engine. From the reviews I have read, the Ariens Compact will handle my present needs easily. As much as I was hoping to make a purchase for the future, a $1000+ snow blower just doesn't fit into our budget at the moment.

. Ariens is also good. If you go Ariens get the deluxe or platinum version they are more heavy duty. Stay away from box store versions, they wont last 3 years.

Do you mean avoid the box store version of the Ariens? I checked their website and the model numbers appear to be the same as what I see on the Home Depot website. Am I better off ordering from snowblowerdirect.com or similar?

Do you mean avoid the box store version of the Ariens? I checked their website and the model numbers appear to be the same as what I see on the Home Depot website. Am I better off ordering from snowblowerdirect.com or similar?

The Ariens at big box are identical to Ariens at a dealer, the difference is that a dealer will actually put it together properly and test it.  The HD models were put together by a minimum wage monkey who was shown once.  Also, if you get it at a dealer, he will be willing to service it, often picking it up and dropping it off.

That said, usually buying it at a big box will get you a working machine and most of the problems just require a bit of wrenching to get them straightened out.

I'm a huge fan of Toro stuff. We had a prehistoric two stroke that we got rid of after 20 something years that needed nothing other than mixed gas and a new pullstring. I'm on my third year or so of a new massive four stroke.

I actually prefer two stroke because I'm too lazy to change oil.

I actually meant ariens or honda. Not toro. Toro is good for paddle blowers. If you can find a craftsmen blower from atleast 25 years ago. They are the good ones. Ive done this snow removal crap for too long. Hire someone to do it. Snow sucks!!!!! I cant wait to retire and move to arizona. With the wife or without.

I'll have to tell that to my 11 year-old this winter.

Mine lasted 2 years and seized. It was not the Deluxe model it was a $569 on sale 6 hp Tecumsheh(624 IIRC).

New one (4 years and running strong) bought from a dealer. Better engine (Subaru) and transmission (Actually has lube). Ones you get in box store are typically the low end models. They WILL not last against a NH winter.

No find a place that sells commercial lawn equipment. They will have a selection of good blowers and will make sure everything is good to go before you even get it. If you do have a problem you have a person to go to, not a telephone number. More expensive but worth it.

Wear ear protection when running it. Nobody ever does. You should.

Thanks for the good advice. 

My pop is deaf from shooting guns in the military (especially in Viet Nam) without hearing protection, so I am particularly aware of hearing loss and its impact on those around you. I double up with foam plugs and headphones, and am the guy who is shouting at everyone after a cease fire because my hearing protection is still in. :)

You cant go wrong with Ariens but I have had a Simplicity for years. They are a great commercial brand. Not sure who owns them or makes them now but from what I understand they are still solid machines. You'll probably spend along the lines of $1800 for a Simplicity.  People will tell you to buy the biggest one but if you have a smaller driveway do NOT buy a huge snowblower. Buy a compact 2 stage (24" path). If you have a huge drive by all means buy the biggest baddest snowblower with the biggest motor you can find. Also take storage room into consideration. Also some of the big box stores like Home Depot sell snow blowers with plastic chutes. Not sure how those fare with abuse but I would pass on those. Probably made by MTD.

An older guy I worked with that I always helped when he wanted it was kind enough to give me his Toro 24. He's since passed on but every time I look at it or use it I say a prayer for John. Toro or Ariens and I'll repeat to you....get the biggest you can afford. Better to have more power than needed than to need it and not have it.

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but whatever you choose, get the electric start.  I can't tell you how many times a pull cord has failed outright, or I spent a half hour pulling to get it going after sitting around until the next storm wanders through.

The Ariens at big box are identical to Ariens at a dealer, the difference is that a dealer will actually put it together properly and test it.  The HD models were put together by a minimum wage monkey who was shown once.  Also, if you get it at a dealer, he will be willing to service it, often picking it up and dropping it off.

That said, usually buying it at a big box will get you a working machine and most of the problems just require a bit of wrenching to get them straightened out.

Order online form home depot, and it is delivered by an ariens authorized repair dude who put it together. Mine was. Also, occasionaly, HD coupon codes for appliances work for snow blowers. I got my 28" ariens for $799 delivered because of that.