Howard

Winter Tires - which ones to get?

Looking to get some Winter tires for my new car I am about to get.  Does anyone have any experience with 

General Altimax Arctic

They seem to be highly rated on Tirerack.com.  I had a set of Blizzacks on my big BMW years ago, but they seem to be a lot more money (~ $30 more per tire) and don't seem to be rated any better.

Have you looked at the Continental Extreme Winter contact tires?  I put them on my wife's Honda and it sticks like glue to the road in winter.  I run All season Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my Subaru and this morning other cars were sitting at the bottoms of hills on Canistear road due to ice. I climbed it without spinning a tire.  I've been a continental fan for about 6 years now...even over Michelins, Yokohamas and some others. 

I am not sure this brand is strong in the US, but back in Moscow, Russia (where winters in general are ofter much-much worse than in NJ and roads can be maintained in a really poor way) I have always entrusted my life and safety to Nokian winter tires. It has initially been designed in Finland where, well, there's usually plenty of snow everywhere during winter months. I had a steep bridge not far from the place I used to live in Moscow and despite having old FWD vehicle I often was among those lucky guys who had no issues climbing that bridge in any weather, all thanks to those tires.

Based on numerous ratings (and just overall perception) then in Russia those tires routinely outperformed much more expensive and much more well-known tires from Michelin and Bridgestone.

Obviously this might not be the case here in the US as their manufacturing may be different here, but I'd still research this brand here and consider it if the price is good.

I saw a tv news show yesterday or Sunday about tire tread separation.  Every close-up of a screwed-up tire was a Firestone or a Bridgestone.  I'm old enough to remember the infamous Firestone "500" Radials, the BLOW--OUT King of the world, so nuthin' I drive has the word "stone" in it...........

In Free America you can use studded radial snow tires, lol!  I remember those for NJ too.....

I checked out the Continentals and they don't seem to be rated as high as either the Altimax Arctic or the Blizzacks

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=167

Tirerack did testing and the Continental Extreme Winter Contact perform as good or better than Blizzacks.

There is also an article about the General tires and that they exceed the EWC on ice...but that's because they are set up to have studs inserted but are equal on snow and worse on dry and wet pavement.  Shrug, choose what you want, but I can tell you from first hand experience that the Continentals are great tires. 

In Norway I ran Nokian as it is the most popular winter tire on the local market...they were amazing but very expensive but I venture not as expensive a sliding into a ditch or tree.

Here are the Tirerack ratings.  The Altimax seem to be just about as good as the Blizzacks which I used to have on my BMW that I was very satisfied with and are a good bit less expensive.  They also have ratings based on over 8 million miles of usage.  The problem is the more you read the less you know :(

15367505183_321e4ed62a_b_d.jpg

I checked out the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 and boy are they expensive at around $200 or more a tire :(

What car are these going on? R2's are a little more expensive if I'm remembering correctly. Nokians are by far, THE BEST winter tire available. Are Hak 5 or Hak 7's (non-studded option) available in your size? What about WR-G3?

I saw a tv news show yesterday or Sunday about tire tread separation. Every close-up of a screwed-up tire was a Firestone or a Bridgestone. I'm old enough to remember the infamous Firestone "500" Radials, the BLOW--OUT King of the world, so nuthin' I drive has the word "stone" in it...........

In Free America you can use studded radial snow tires, lol! I remember those for NJ too.....

You can use studded snows in NJ between Nov. 15 - April 1

Yeah, that's what I remember..........you can use them, but they can't be sold in NJ. I remember a buddy of mine going to PA to buy some a few years ago.

Also incorrect. There's nothing illegal about studded snow tires in NJ as long as they're only on your vehicle between the dates I mentioned.

It's the equivalent of saying "you can't buy hollowpoint in NJ" Yes, you can. However, there are rules (aka laws) to follow while you own them.

Guys, guys, guys!  I can listen to a tire roll on pavement and be able to hear studs in contact with a roadway with my eyes SHUT!  I haven't heard that sound in NJ for several YEARS!  I inquired about studded tires and my guy told me they can't be sold in NJ.  That doesn't stop a PA vehicle originating in Free America from driving-thru and NOT getting a ticket.  So YES, you can have them as stated, but you better have out-of-state plates or you'll draw suspicion of carrying rocket launchers or dead bodies in yer trunk, lol!

Guys, guys, guys! I can listen to a tire roll on pavement and be able to hear studs in contact with a roadway with my eyes SHUT! I haven't heard that sound in NJ for several YEARS! I inquired about studded tires and my guy told me they can't be sold in NJ. That doesn't stop a PA vehicle originating in Free America from driving-thru and NOT getting a ticket. So YES, you can have them as stated, but you better have out-of-state plates or you'll draw suspicion of carrying rocket launchers or dead bodies in yer trunk, lol!

You're absolutely right in how easily you can tell the difference in sound. Your guy is wrong though.

I'd like to make this abundantly clear. There is nothing illegal about buying, selling, owning, or even swinging from a studded snow tire in NJ, as long as it's between Nov. 15 - Apr.1 . The thing about studded snow tires is that they raise the price over a standard snow tire and current tire technology is amazing. Studless snow tires can come damn close to making it feel like dry roads, so why stud and listen to them all day and with an added expense? Then, consider vehicle technology in traction control and all wheel drive. Studs are a thing of the past, but far from illegal.

(N.J.S.A. 13.20-15.2g)

I have the generals. Great tire. Never been stuck in my FWD VW even in deep snow.

They are softer than stock tires so the ride is a little smoother. Without music in the car, you can slightly hear the tire noise. With a little volume, that's gone.

On my modified Subarus ('02 WRX & '06 STI) which have played in lots of snow, I've used Blizzak LM-22s, Hankook Winter iPike W409s, and General Altimax Arctics. Loved the cheap Hakooks; even the Arctics handily beat the Blizzaks in the white stuff. While all season are lame in the snow, cheap studdables have worked great for me.

As a snowboarder I do allot of driveing in the snow but I have a Jeep Wrangler so I don't need snow tires and I have chains if I run into ice but I have a set of nokians for the wifes car this is the third season we have had them and they are great well worth the cost