njJoniGuy

Large capacity / Extended length Handgun magazine

I was told today, by a knowledgable FFL whom I have no reason to mistrust, that he was informed by a NJSP inspector (on one of their regular inspection visits to his shop) that third party extended magazines for handguns that extend more than 1" beyond the pistol grip mag well of the handgun (without also extending the grip length, like the spacer on a 13 rnd XD45 mag used in an XD45 Compact does, for example) are considered Large Capacity Magazines even though they do not increase the handgun's magazine capacity beyond the statutory limit of 15 rounds under the current NJ Administrative Code.

For example:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/896140

http://www.magazine-gun.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_PM+COLA5

http://www.magazine-gun.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GA_PROSMIA7

http://www.magazine-gun.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R_MGPMRUG-A21

I know that this "rule" does not exist in the statutes (2C39 and 2C58) and I just spent some time going through Chapter 13 of the NJAC (referenced on the NJ AG's site) and could find no reference to this claim.

Thus my question to the knowledgable among you:

Have any of you heard about this horse hockey? (thanks, Col. Potter!)

Can you direct me to a NJSP or NJ AG notice to FFLs on this subject?

Thanks in advance.

Not yet in NJ. I believe CT does have something to the effect that a magazine cannot extend beyond the butt of the handgun but not sure on it.  I understand even CTers are not sure of the meaning of the law. 

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

Was probably referring to this, but you need two to violate the statute

Or more gunshop employees making up crap. I see that to often as well.

I see THIS^^^^^ more than anything else.  But if memory serves correctly, there was the famous incident of the GAMO Whisperer Air Rifle being deemed a suppressed firearm because the head of the NJSP FIU got his panties in a twist or didn't get enough from his "ol lady one night...........  So being that we can't trust the NJSP to retroactively screw us for a legal item we already bought, I'd do some more "checking" into this.  I wonder how many times I can commit a felony today?  Let me count the ways!

... a knowledgable FFL ... a NJSP inspector .

Who and who?

Did the FFL confront the detective, laugh in his face, and tell him to stop making things up? Was he given a letter with this restriction stated in writing? Is he following this up with a letter or phone call to the NJSP and NJAG? If not, nothing has changed within the law or code. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

More BS walks out the doors of most gun stores than guns and ammo combined.  I have heard and seem more crap originate from behind the counter and I get so PO'd at times I just leave the store.  I wish they would just learn and keep to the facts and let the BS walk.  Instead of helping our cause they create more disinformation than the press.  This is why there are very few NJ stores I check out anymore.  Not even to look at the 'used' rack.  I realize the brick and mortar stores are struggling, but really, some informed customer service and 'how can I help you' attitude wins alot of points. When there is no 'value added' to the sale, what do they really expect?

Just a special note............Kudo's to those vendors who participate here, they are the welcomed exception.  It is refreshing to read their posts and know they know what the real deal is. 

I was told today, by a knowledgable FFL whom I have no reason to mistrust, that he was informed by a NJSP inspector (on one of their regular inspection visits to his shop) that third party extended magazines for handguns that extend more than 1" beyond the pistol grip mag well of the handgun (without also extending the grip length, like the spacer on a 13 rnd XD45 mag used in an XD45 Compact does, for example) are considered Large Capacity Magazines even though they do not increase the handgun's magazine capacity beyond the statutory limit of 15 rounds under the current NJ Administrative Code.

For example:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/896140

http://www.magazine-gun.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_PM+COLA5

http://www.magazine-gun.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GA_PROSMIA7

http://www.magazine-gun.com/proddetail.asp?prod=R_MGPMRUG-A21

I know that this "rule" does not exist in the statutes (2C39 and 2C58) and I just spent some time going through Chapter 13 of the NJAC (referenced on the NJ AG's site) and could find no reference to this claim.

Thus my question to the knowledgable among you:

Have any of you heard about this horse hockey? (thanks, Col. Potter!)

Can you direct me to a NJSP or NJ AG notice to FFLs on this subject?

Thanks in advance.

Can you let us know what "knowledgeable" (I use that term loosely) FFL informed you of this made up law? It's nice to know what stores are slinging B.S., so the rest of us can avoid their so called "knowledge". Thanks...

It's a long-time FFL here in the Camden/Gloucester/Burlington County area (not to be named yet) and he related the NJSP inspector taking some of the ProMag mags down off his retail sales wall and telling him that they were not legal for sale here in the PRNJ for the reason laid out in the first post.

Now that there has been a unanimous consensus among the FFLs here on the NJGF that the inspector was DEAD WRONG, I'll ask him if there was anything given to him in writing to that effect. I'll be making a trip to his shop later this week when I get back into his local area.

Stay tuned to this channel for more information on this breaking story.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in process ...

It's a long-time FFL here in the Camden/Gloucester/Burlington County area (not to be named yet) and he related the NJSP inspector taking some of the ProMag mags down off his retail sales wall and telling him that they were not legal for sale here in the PRNJ for the reason laid out in the first post.

Now that there has been a unanimous consensus among the FFLs here on the NJGF that the inspector was DEAD WRONG, I'll ask him if there was anything given to him in writing to that effect. I'll be making a trip to his shop later this week when I get back into his local area.

Stay tuned to this channel for more information on this breaking story.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in process ...

Any update?

Perhaps someone was confused referencing this? "an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip"

Any update?

Perhaps someone was confused referencing this? "an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip"

Most likely that is it.

But even if the magazine protrudes below the pistol grip it is still attached inside the pistol grip. They must not understand English.

"Cool your jets"

The current law in NJ is about magazine capacity, not length (coughs ironically). Magazines are legal if they hold 15 rounds or fewer. There may be some oddball exception for .22 tube mags to accommodate .22 short.

If you hear some bs, say "thanks" and change the subject. Sometimes it's better to move on.

G

PS. When in doubt, ask Rosie or Pizza Bob

Any update?

Not yet.

I have not revisited this particular shop, but next Friday (as long as my muni renews my permits on time) I will use the next permit to pick up the next pistol that I paid for the day this "issue" surfaced.

BTW, the mag in question was a 15 round mag  for a Ruger LCP  in .380acp

Not yet.

I have not revisited this particular shop, but next Friday (as long as my muni renews my permits on time) I will use the next permit to pick up the next pistol that I paid for the day this "issue" surfaced.

BTW, the mag in question was a 15 round mag  for a Ruger LCP  in .380acp

100% legal.  May not feed worth a damn and may not be very practical, but those are not legal issues.