gleninjersey

Recall Sweeney Logistics

I guess no one got the memo not to talk about numbers......shhhhhh (seriously stop posting numbers of signatures etc...) OPSEC. Organizers stated this info is not to be published yet, lots more work to do.

there def was infiltrators among you guys gathering info

Did they have you mark down who wasn't home? Easier if you need to do a follow-up.

Yes. There is a sheet that will be scanned. We filled in box. People who signed and people who said no will be removed leaving the "nobody home" to be generated as new list. I was actually impressed by the organization of that.

Alex also mentioned they would be collecting signatures during week and evenings as well as on weekends. He moved down to district 3. As in relocated to the battleground. He is THAT motivated and determined to make this succeed.

Jfoster99-

That is pretty much how my day went too.

Most people where I canvassed were not home. Not sure if it was due to the power outage also.  I won't mention how many signatures we got then. Most of the people we talked to were without power most of the week, it came back on Thursday night and went out again this morning. The pouring rain did not help either today.

My canvassing partner and I never once mentioned guns today. We focused on the property tax rate (hit the mark with this one), educational funding, and third, the pension system. I mainly focused on making changes in Trenton, asking them if they were satisfied on the three things mentioned above and the direction the state is heading.

We encountered three types of people today:

1) Those fed up and signed

2) Those who knew nothing about Sweeney and didn't sign

3) Those who did not want to sign whether they were Sweeney supporters or did not have enough info from us to sign

We converted some people into signing also. We would have had more signatures if we had some literture to pass out also. Some would not sign because they did not have enough information about Sweeney. I directed them to the Sweeney recall website.

Some suggested we come back with a Recall Christie list and they would sign it.

S.

If this is over, and the strategy is no longer secret, can somebody explain it to me?

Even the Tshirts are bad. Nobody in South Jersey knows who Sweeney is. The Tshirts are ugly and confrontational.

I certainly hope your recall effort was not rooted in door to door canvassing. I sure as hell wouldn't have opened my door for people in wacko orange Tshirts unless they took more than a few minutes to get off my property. And that doesn't even matter. Like I said previously, door to door canvassing is last resort. You can't get a lot of people that way, just a few extra people.

I brought Laura with me, people are more likely to open a door with a woman also standing on the front steps. We hit every house on our walk list. Majority weren't home. Many said they didn't know enough to sign even after I explained the reasons clearly, mostly leaving out the gun part as an issue. I focused on taxes mostly. Common core got every mom's signature. I did get 3 Democrats to sign. Had a couple tell me they loved Sweeney and wouldn't sign. Had one guy with an American flag, and a Gadsden hanging outside and a Duck commander welcome mat sign. He called his wife down as well and told her she better sign it or else lol. First and only thing I talked about with him was guns. He was as into it as us, and wanted to show me his collection. I declined since I still had a ton more doors to knock on.

Had a Philly union carpenter sign that said he hates Sweeney. The most interesting part of my day was a section 8/reduced rent condo complex, I did get about 5 signatures out of the 60 doors i knocked on. But also after a knock heard people inside say "don't answer, they're here for the rent" at more then one door hahha. Many of the houses I went to were still out of power and some were really Effed up, siding gone, piles of shingles on the lawn, roofs covered in blue tarps. And empty of their inhabitants. I was in Mt.Royal and Paulsboro. Interesting day. We got wet. I got a total of 17 signatures. I'll be back for another go at it for sure. Kudos to everyone I walked alongside today for restoration of our rights.

Just curious if there's any significance to having a nautical star on the outside of your house. I saw a lot of them and I figure it has more meaning than just outside home decor. I too had the issue of a lot of people not at home, but I'm definitely going to be back for more signatures. I may rethink the t-shirt. I did get the Friday the 13th vibe from those shirts but wore it anyways thinking it might give credibility, i.e., that I'm part of an organized movement.

Just posted this on the "NJ Guns Discussion Page" Face Book page.  Would like to post on Recall Sweeney page but can't.

One idea for next time we go out canvassing for signatures. Majority of the houses I knocked on today nobody was home. Some people who answered "wanted more information" or "can you give me something". If we could get a door knob hanger with a short explanation of who we are, why Sweeney should be recalled and a number or website where people can let us know when we can come to have them sign the petition it could be very beneficial for several reasons:

It gives people something to look at immediately. We can then again ask them to sign.

It is advertising and will spread the word.

It hopefully saves time by having people call us to let us know that they want to sign and that they will be home at such and such a time.

Yes it will cost money but I don't think it would be too costly.  What to you think?

Yes. There is a sheet that will be scanned. We filled in box. People who signed and people who said no will be removed leaving the "nobody home" to be generated as new list. I was actually impressed by the organization of that.

Alex also mentioned they would be collecting signatures during week and evenings as well as on weekends. He moved down to distric 3. As in relocated to the battleground. He is THAT motivated and determined to make this succeed.

Awesome. I'll try to make it down with the wife for the next round if I can get a sitter. If not I'll come by myself.

If the power is still out they should get on Sweeney for not getting his district back up and running. I have a feeling most of the not homes were due to the power outage. A small laminated literature card to show respondents, along with a pamphlet containing a contact number should they be unsure at the time, should yield greater success.

Can someone please contact the medial and make then realize that this issue is MUCH more than just guns, guns, guns.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/06/pro-gun_advocates_rally_to_collect_signatures_for.html

It is just one issue among many, many other issues.  The two issues that resonate most with people are how taxes have gone up during Sweeney's leadership and how jobs and NJ citizens are leaving the state. 

Two people who signed for me told me that they are leaving NJ.  One because they can't find a decent job and one because they are retiring and can't afford to stay.  I've lost friends and family who've left NJ because they either don't get a raise at work or a minimum raise (2%) and then their taxes go up more than than almost EVERY year.  My train pass to get to and from work is going up 9%.  It went up 20% just a few years ago.  That's in addition to my taxes to up.  I don't, nor do I know any other people, that get 10% and 20% raises.

These are the type of issues that people are most touched by and upset over.

I also never brought up RKBA issues unless the person I was speaking with did.  Had a pretty good opening spiel developed by mid-day "Do you feel you're well represented by Senator Sweeney?  Are you confident that he listens to all of his constituents and prioritizes their needs over those of special interests?  Do you agree that a sudden shakeup in the political structure would send a wake-up call to Trenton?"

Responses I experienced were about in line with those others mentioned:

- Obviously at home, but wouldn't answer door.

- "I don't follow politics, don't know enough about the issues to feel comfortable signing"

- "I like Sweeney/I'm a friend of Sweeney's" (never had anyone curse at me though).

- "I can't stand that jerk, give me that pen!  Honey, get down here and sign this too!"

Two people who signed were very concerned about the signature list becoming public.  One guy said he'd sign if I could get some of his neighbors to sign - challenge accepted!  Got two more signatures on his street and then looped back to pick him up.

Also had a very long talk with one family that invited me inside.  I won't name them, but they were related to a crime victim that was big news in the area.  They vented on and on about how they felt the police, detectives and prosecutor had failed them in investigating and prosecuting the crime.

I did seem to get better responses in the late afternoon after I took the orange shirt off; maybe it was the shirt, or maybe it was the different area I was in.  I wasn't a fan of the shirts - good for solidarity at the rally but not sure it helped when I was knocking on doors alone.

I was impressed by NJ2AS organization of the event and the petition system - Very thorough setup for covering all the possible responses and reasonable grouping of the streets/locations to visit by packet, at least the ones I saw.  As other stated, would love to have had some materials/pamphlets to leave for the no-answers or for those who stated they didn't know enough about the issues to participate.

I live in a lake community a lot of people have Nautical stars on their homes. I would say over 50% of the people in town own boats.

Laura and I wore the shirts but we had rain jackets on all day so you couldn't really see them. I only spoke about firearms if I saw a 2A friendly sign at the house first. I'm good at picking up details on people as I walk up to their homes. The business I'm in puts me inside people's houses every day. I know a lot about you as I walk up to the door from quick observations many others don't notice.

I did not wear the t-shirt while canvasing either. I was in Glassboro.

It appeared that some people wanted to sign our petition, but were afraid of their names being known.

The Sweeney supporters we encountered were not rude; they just said, "no thanks, I cannot sign it or not interested."

We came across a few people who said they were not involved in politics, didn't know anything about Sweeney, and would not sign. Sad to say, these were fairly young couples that knew nothing about politics.

Can someone please contact the medial and make then realize that this issue is MUCH more than just guns, guns, guns.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/06/pro-gun_advocates_rally_to_collect_signatures_for.html

It is just one issue among many, many other issues.  The two issues that resonate most with people are how taxes have gone up during Sweeney's leadership and how jobs and NJ citizens are leaving the state. 

Two people who signed for me told me that they are leaving NJ.  One because they can't find a decent job and one because they are retiring and can't afford to stay.  I've lost friends and family who've left NJ because they either don't get a raise at work or a minimum raise (2%) and then their taxes go up more than than almost EVERY year.  My train pass to get to and from work is going up 9%.  It went up 20% just a few years ago.  That's in addition to my taxes to up.  I don't, nor do I know any other people, that get 10% and 20% raises.

These are the type of issues that people are most touched by and upset over.

Can someone who has a SL account please contact them and telll them it is NJ2AS and NOT NJSAS?  Thank you.

I also think there was more than 200 people there.

I did not wear the t-shirt while canvasing either. I was in Glassboro.

It appeared that some people wanted to sign our petition, but were afraid of their names being known.

The Sweeney supporters we encountered were not rude; they just said, "no thanks, I cannot sign it or not interested."

We came across a few people who said they were not involved in politics, didn't know anything about Sweeney, and would not sign. Sad to say, these were fairly young couples that knew nothing about politics.

I had one person said they aren't involved in politics.  I replied, "If you pay taxes you're involved in politics."  They just smiled and said no thanks so we moved on to the next house.

I hate to say it, but this is why this state (and in soneways country) is the way that it is. There is a sizeable group of People, especially younger crowd (<35), that is more concerned with the Internet, social media, fantasy sports, hollywood, etc, and doesn't want to take responsibility for the real world around them. They vote once every 4 years, if at all and that's that. I'm in my late 20's and been on my own since my mom moved out of state when I was 19 and still in college. My view on the world around me, govt, and politics has changed drastically in that time. Most of the young adults today live at home with their parents or in apartments with friends until their late 20's/ early 30's and don't grow up completely and get a reality check until then.

I've always said, people are way too complacent. Nobody wants to get involved with politics. Including myself. I despise politics but I've been dealing with it for decades. What I mean about complacent is people will not do anything about anything till it affects them. Take away their cookies and watch them cry a storm. As long as they are comfortable in life, the way they live, they will keep to themselves.

Along with all that, they are more willing to piss on your parade than give a shit about the world.

Do I see a lot if crocodile tears when a soldier gives their life? Yep! Oh well, then business as usual. Ugh!

People really just don't care enough.

This country has been bad off since this Potus than any other I can think of in my life time. To make matters worse, his flock of sheep are growing by the day.

Look at people like Hillary, that despite the crap she is doing/did, people still want her. I think people are so fooking stupid or brainwashed or both, nobody can focus on the real problems. They wanted the first black president . They got one who continues to fail miserably. They could care less he did nothing in Ill.

Hillary? Oh! We need the first female in office! How about Cory Booker? The man did nada for Newark and they promoted that grinch face jackass to senate?

I'm all for blacks, females or whomever to be a Potus. But only if they are elected for the right reasons. The only real solution imho is term limits. People in this country simply don't care. The voter turn out proves it. They will never be voted out of office because of all the things I stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder though, if the door-to-door re-canvassing effort is now somewhat compromised since the "cat's out of the bag..." (i.e. that it's now public that it was 2A groups organizing this)... It seemed (from these reports) that a good deal of the success was due to no one mentioning that it was a 2A org behind this or bringing 2A up in the discussions (i.e. talk of taxes, and other issues)...  Will the re-canvassing effort (i.e. retrying doors where people were not at home)  be affected?

Not that we shouldn't try again, but was just curious...

I wonder though, if the door-to-door re-canvassing effort is now somewhat compromised since the "cat's out of the bag..." (i.e. that it's now public that it was 2A groups organizing this)... It seemed (from these reports) that a good deal of the success was due to no one mentioning that it was a 2A org behind this or bringing 2A up in the discussions (i.e. talk of taxes, and other issues)... Will the re-canvassing effort (i.e. retrying doors where people were not at home) be affected?

Not that we shouldn't try again, but was just curious...

I don't think it's any secret that NJ2AS is behind the recall. It's been reported that all along.

Guns are just one issue among many why people are fed up.