njpilot

Looks Like Another Bloodbath

There is NO such thing as timing the market.  EIGHTY (yes 80) percent of professional traders who do this day in, day out, still fail to beat the market on behalf of their clients (once you consider fees).

Time IN the market is the most important thing.  There is not a single 30 year period since the creation of the stock market (1800's) that the market overall has not gained 7%.  Smart investing is buying a selection of brorad index funds and then not looking at it.  Maybe rebalance once/twice per year as your stock/bond allocation changes.

Oil is down. That's a good investment. I'm getting into medical marijuana. I think it'll be the next big tobacco

You need to wait until marijuana becomes legal under federal law. Marijuana stores can't take credit cards as that would be an interstate transaction in most cases. They can't use banks as banks are subject to federally regulation.

The stock market will not get involved as long as its illegal federally. Buying shares in the marijuana business would be the same as bankrolling a load of coke from Colombia under current law.

There is NO such thing as timing the market.  EIGHTY (yes 80) percent of professional traders who do this day in, day out, still fail to beat the market on behalf of their clients (once you consider fees).

Time IN the market is the most important thing.  There is not a single 30 year period since the creation of the stock market (1800's) that the market overall has not gained 7%.  Smart investing is buying a selection of brorad index funds and then not looking at it.  Maybe rebalance once/twice per year as your stock/bond allocation changes.

^^ This... with one philosophical difference.

I buy quality companies that have years of slow steady growth with sales that are increasing every year, and who have low debt.  I have a few other criteria that I like but my philosophy is to buy enduring quality and hold on to it.  My investing is a tiny bit more risky than index funds but I'm also getting better returns.  A percent or two a year adds up over a lifetime.  The biggest problem with my strategy is that it's really hard to diversify when you're really picky.

You need to wait until marijuana becomes legal under federal law. Marijuana stores can't take credit cards as that would be an interstate transaction in most cases. They can't use banks as banks are subject to federally regulation.

The stock market will not get involved as long as its illegal federally. Buying shares in the marijuana business would be the same as bankrolling a load of coke from Colombia under current law.

It's legal for medical purposes in alot of states.

And the bleeding continued Monday, from an arterial spurt of 5.17% (1158 pts) on the Chinese Hang Seng to a femoral artery nick of only 3.57% (588 pts at the close after an 1100 pt dump at the opening) on the Dow.

More collapse as the correction continues overnight and tomorrow, I predict.

Remember, money can't buy love, but ammo (and a means of delivering it) can get you just about anything else.

It's legal for medical purposes in alot of states.

True, but banks and credit cards are federally regulated. It is illegal for them to handle money that was illegally obtained. Marijuana is illegal under federal law so they won't go near marijuana money. The stock market does the same.

Makes no difference whats legal in the state. NJ was going to grow its medical marijuana at Rutgers agricultural facility. They found out they couldn't because part of it is funded with federal money. Can't have any federally illegal activity if federal money and/or regulation is involved.

Everyone with a pension plan should be worried.

Why?  Markets go up and down and a managed pension fund should be diversified and able to weather the ups and downs of the market.  While the market is down right now, it is up a good bit from where it was two years ago.  Relax.

Why? Markets go up and down and a managed pension fund should be diversified and able to weather the ups and downs of the market. While the market is down right now, it is up a good bit from where it was two years ago. Relax.

It's also possible funds made money since this started.