panteramatt

Oaks gun show... worth it?

Short answer, no. 

The cheapest SKS you will find there is right around 500 and it will probably look like it was used to dig a hole with. I can't believe that they cost so much now. When I was 19 I got an unfired one for about 180 OTD. 

Most of the AR stuff is over priced there too. You also have to factor in your gas and 9 bucks to get in. You could buy parts online or from some of the vendors on here for real cheap. Or you can go all out and get parts to ASSEMBLE a bad ass one for less than anything you will find at Oaks. 

Never looked at any 22 rifles there but they sell (try to) 525 boxes of golden bullet for $75, what a bargain right. 

I go occasionally when I'm bored. The best deals there are on primers and bullet heads but of that's all your going for its not worth it. 

There are no good deals.  Prices are higher than you will find at your local shop.  But...if you want something older, you'll have a much bigger selection at Oaks just because it's so much bigger.  I've bought a couple of old guns there but I bought because I found something I liked, not because the price was good.

It's interesting to look around...once or twice.

Oaks is great for pickles, beef jerky and looking at all the things you can't have. Still love to go tho cause I just like to browse, if your smart, patient and know what things sell for you could find deals. There is definitely higher prices on a lot of stuff, just depends if you've do your due diligence researching stuff before hand. 

I went to the Split Rock show last weekend and it was not worth it. I was looking for a Mosin 91/30 and there was not one there. 

In addition the show was billed as 700 tables but there were 500 tops.

At least I got some good beef jerky.

Whether it's a waste or not depends on your needs, attitude and how bad you want to be at home with the wife and kids.

I love to visit Oaks. I browse. I buy bullets and powder and more. I'll buy anything in PA just to spite the AHoles in NJ with their sign for this and sign to buy that. 

So stay home and feed your dog. I will feed my AR. LOL... HOHOHO. HAHAHA.

Merry Christmas to all.

How is it for parts? I need some parts for an old Mauser

hard to say there's a a lot of different vendors, Sarco has their tables there, a bunch of old gun guys there too, but also a Forks of the Delaware show at Allentown fairgrounds is a good one for old stuff.

Never miss it go to every one all year. Yes most stuff overpriced but they have it one downside some dealers won't sell certain guns to you if your from Jersey,even though they are considered legal here. I've gotten some fantastic deals on used guns. 

Gun shows are good for what they are...businesses all under one roof selling their product. People say they can't find powder...there is always copious amounts of powder and other reloading supplies for ok prices, the vendors always try to undercut each other so there definitely are deals to be had lol. At the very least, its a good way to make some conversation and kill a day around all kinds of firearms.

There is this short guy who sells BBQ sauce usually by the pickle guy.. It's really good!

LMAO! Dick hah. Yes JTM BBQ will be there...free pack of .22 with certain purchase.

I will be going Saturday morning. Hopefully be there by 9am. It is worth just to walk the isles and browse around the tables for the stuff sold in "Free America". It is like a whole another world there from what you/we are used to in the PRNJ. Deals are subjective. I have bought some clothes while there; surplus goods too.

My father just had back surgery two weeks back, and was tired of sitting in the house, so I took him over there.

It was ok. There were some decent deals... but far and few between. Saw Yugo M48s for $195. Then saw $300+ standard Mosin Nagants... but average common ones were about $250. Ammo pricing was all over the place, but my father got some .22 Shorts for a Winchester pump for about $12 a sleeve. He wanted to get an AR lower to build a rifle, but I guess that is a no-go for NJ residents (no one would sell one to him, stripped or built, since it could become a pistol).

A lot of good people there... took a picture of a father and his baby in front of a M2 machine gun (saw him struggling to do it). Then you get the people who are pretty much checking your prostate, so when you are leaving a table, you are tripping over them... then they act like your are a jerk.

Got the name of the deli that does the beef sticks I like, so that is a win. Got some pickles, and found cases for the rifle bolts I wanted to protect (canceled the Amazon order, since there isn't any ship date after four weeks).

Glad we went today opposed to the weekend.

It's better entertainment than spending $10 on lottery tickets. In 2012 they had ammo, by the box, as cheap out the door as all internet ammo by the case, but without shipping. Before shit went south AGAIN. And, trust me, I know the best deals on ammo when I get into a period when I want to buy. I would assume it was the same a few months ago, but I don't know. Now? Well, I haven't gauged the panic myself.

You can get deals on used guns, and you can find guns configured the way you want that are hard to find. Lots of little stuff cheap. Cleaning tools, solvents. Cheap mag pouches. Find a 30 year old box of leather holsters for $5, they don't make them for $5 anymore, try $60 at the LGS. Maybe you want some milsurp gun off the beaten path like an Enfield.

It's good entertainment for the money. If you find stuff to buy it's better. If you find some deals it's great. And Eagle is first class.

Gun shows are good for what they are...businesses all under one roof selling their product. People say they can't find powder...there is always copious amounts of powder and other reloading supplies for ok prices, the vendors always try to undercut each other so there definitely are deals to be had lol. At the very least, its a good way to make some conversation and kill a day around all kinds of firearms.

LMAO! Dick hah. Yes JTM BBQ will be there...free pack of .22 with certain purchase.

I'm here now, didn't see you there's 3 dam pickle guys here lol...

I'm here now, didn't see you there's 3 dam pickle guys here lol...

Hey man, yea the 5min i had to step away you showed up lol...good to see ya...thats all the same pickle guy...he had multiple set ups...few hrs before you got there he told me he went thru 85 buckets of pickles and that he would have to restock for tomrw. He'll pull in 25-30K for the weekend easy. Crazy.

I went yesterday (Saturday). It was not that crowded at first, but by mid-day, it was packed isle-to-isle. Good to see; lots of women there too. Prices were all over the place for ammo. I saw a box (Ferderal 325 rnds) of .22 from $44 to $55 at different tables. I bought some cleaning supplies, spare mags, and some surplus items. My buddy found some good deals on reloading supplies.

Average Joe, where were you? I could not find you.

S.

Hey man, yea the 5min i had to step away you showed up lol...good to see ya...thats all the same pickle guy...he had multiple set ups...few hrs before you got there he told me he went thru 85 buckets of pickles and that he would have to restock for tomrw. He'll pull in 25-30K for the weekend easy. Crazy.

Yeah man, good 2 see you there too. Sounds like the pickle dude is doing well lol! What would a gun show be like without pickles! Hahha

What kind of country are we turning into?  Best vendor at the gun show is the guy selling pickles!  :facepalm:

World War II ended a long, long time ago. Most of the surplus has dried up and the rest has been outlawed for import. The military won't release anything to the public anymore unless it's been shredded. And when they do, it's at full price.

Hey, look at it this way. You can buy a better AR and mags at Oaks today for half the price you would have spent at a Jersey LGS 10 years ago. That's got to be a positive, right? And, like I said. 3 years ago they had ammo cheaper than you could find anywhere. Unfortunately we go through these long pricing cycles, now.

No doubt gun shows are not as good as they once were. There is no comparison to the good old days. You may not find what you want cheap. But you can find SOMETHING cheap. Guarantee you can find deals on guns in there, just might not be what you were looking for today. Also, great place for cheap used leather holsters, modern but cheap mag bandoleers, cleaning tools/mirrors, all kinds of useful stuff. And pickles and jerky.

All in all was a decent show as an attendee...as a vendor,not so much...the general consensus from all the vendors I s/w said sales were down from this show last year. Tons of people, just not reaching into their pockets lol

I went yesterday (Saturday). It was not that crowded at first, but by mid-day, it was packed isle-to-isle. Good to see; lots of women there too. Prices were all over the place for ammo. I saw a box (Ferderal 325 rnds) of .22 from $44 to $55 at different tables. I bought some cleaning supplies, spare mags, and some surplus items. My buddy found some good deals on reloading supplies.

Average Joe, where were you? I could not find you.

S.

Right across from the pickle stand in Hall A I think it was.

I remember the 80's.  Tons and tons of surplus equipment from Vietnam showed up at gun shows.  Brand new military surplus boots for $15 per pair. I've still got a couple of the big green canvas duffles and I still use them when I travel.  Real military wool blankets for a few dollars.  I've even got a pup tent that came in two halves made of heavy canvas.  There weren't any guns coming back but there was lots of interesting surplus stuff.  Every town had an "army navy" store that was filled with real army and navy stuff.  Today army navy stores sell Cartharts and discount blue jeans.

I'm not sure what happened to all the surplus stuff from Iraq in the 90's through today but it's not making it to the civilian market.  That's made gun shows less interesting to me.