Author Sort: Smith, Craig
Title Sort: Car Hacker's Handbook: A Guide for the Penetration Tester, The
Date: 17 Mar 2016
uuid: 29d04b4f-0851-412d-8961-fca352b3b07c
id: 15921
Published: Mar 2016
Modified: 17 Mar 2016

Languages: English

Modern cars are more computerized than ever. Infotainment and navigation systems, Wi-Fi, automatic software updates, and other innovations aim to make driving more convenient. But vehicle technologies haven't kept pace with today's more hostile security environment, leaving millions vulnerable to attack.

The Car Hacker's Handbook will give you a deeper understanding of the computer systems and embedded software in modern vehicles. It begins by examining vulnerabilities and providing detailed explanations of communications over the CAN bus and between devices and systems.

Then, once you have an understanding of a vehicle's communication network, you'll learn how to intercept data and perform specific hacks to track vehicles, unlock doors, glitch engines, flood communication, and more. With a focus on low-cost, open source hacking tools such as Metasploit, Wireshark, Kayak, can-utils, and ChipWhisperer, The Car Hacker's Handbook will show you how to:

Build an accurate threat model for your vehicle
Reverse engineer the CAN bus to fake engine signals
Exploit vulnerabilities in diagnostic and data-logging systems
Hack the ECU and other firmware and embedded systems
Feed exploits through infotainment and vehicle-to-vehicle communication systems
Override factory settings with performance-tuning techniques
Build physical and virtual test benches to try out exploits safely
If you're curious about automotive security and have the urge to hack a two-ton computer, make The Car Hacker's Handbook your first stop.

About the Author

Craig Smith runs Theia Labs, a research firm that focuses on security auditing and building hardware and software prototypes. He has worked for several auto manufacturers and provided them with his public research. He is also a founder of the Hive13 hackerspace and OpenGarages.org. Craig is a frequent speaker on car hacking and has run workshops at RSA, DEF CON, and other major security conferences.

I too want a car that can be remotely taken over by someone who is one hollowed out volcano short of a super villain or whatever government that can get the keys from him. 

Oh wait, not that, no, the exact opposite of that. 

People bitch about on-star being able to track their movements and disabled their car so I don't know why anyone would seriously consider a vehicle that can track you more then facebook. You think automatic windows updates are bad? Wait until the automatic car OS update leaves you stranded. 

it's fun knowing your car runs on coal(depending on where yer at) too. :)

I dunno if my car runs on coal but on a good day it does get 32 mile per stocking full of anthracite, has fairly modern bits but what it does lack is a way to call home or be remotely stopped, updated, or mucked with.

I actually shop for those features, but that comes with 20+ years of doing IT.

I dunno if my car runs on coal but on a good day it does get 32 mile per stocking full of anthracite, has fairly modern bits but what it does lack is a way to call home or be remotely stopped, updated, or mucked with.

I actually shop for those features, but that comes with 20+ years of doing IT.

and soon if your car's older than 1996, you'll be totally exempt from state inspection.

"It looks like a Prius ate a Model S and has a food baby"

JOE BROWN - Wired Magazine

Ce7a2JGWsAAOKYd.jpg

Price: $35,000

Safety: 5-star safety rating in every category

Speed: Base model will go from 0 to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds, with some models that go faster.

Range: EPA rating of at least 215 miles per charge

Other features: autopilot hardware, fits five adults comfortably, front and rear cargo trunks

• Like 1

Wow! that's ugly as hell.

Looks like there's almost enough rear headroom for circus midgets and enough trunk space for a banana. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll stick with my smog generator that can go further on a 5 gallon gas can than that can go on a full charge.

Wow! that's ugly as hell.

Looks like there's almost enough rear headroom for circus midgets and enough trunk space for a banana. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll stick with my smog generator that can go further on a 5 gallon gas can than that can go on a full charge.

Two trunks (front and rear), and rear headroom reported by a 6'1" journalist just now that in the back seat he put his fist on his head and didn't touch the roof.  How many days a month do you drive over 200 miles?  

ev-check-list.jpg?w=850&h=458

Your list above is a bunch  of strawman arguments.

The two trunks are probably worthless for fitting things I take to the range as they moved the "firewall" as far forward as they could and same with the rear seat.

No one really argued that electric cars would be too slow, or at least no one sane. One the other hand for $35k you can get MUCH faster cars,

That car is still too ugly for me. If you are going to go grilless then don't leave a strange space for it that looks like Neo's melted over mouth in the Matrix

The issue is not how often you have to stop to fill them up but if you can find a place to fill them up. Get off the interstate for scenic drive and you are f'ed, Where do you charge your car if are a city dweller and don't have a garage or park on the street? Can our antique electric grid that falls over every summer in some places from the use of AC can take an additional few million cars to charge?

And they are still to expensive

For now they are at best a middle class suburban second car for work commutes. And that is if you don't care about all the privacy "nonsense".

I hope you like yours when you get it, for me they still have a lot further to go.

Your list above is a bunch  of strawman arguments.

The list above is arguments many have made about electric, maybe not you, but I didn't aim the list at you, it is a picture, not my typed out response.

The two trunks are probably worthless for fitting things I take to the range as they moved the "firewall" as far forward as they could and same with the rear seat.

You say Probably, because it is obvious you are biased against the vehicle, and that's ok, but the vehicle has more interior room than anything in it's class, so it's strange to me that you would make such a statement, especially since you know nothing about the volume of the spaces.

No one really argued that electric cars would be too slow, or at least no one sane. One the other hand for $35k you can get MUCH faster cars,

Really, in a sedan?  And what is it's 0-60 time, since only a minimum target has been established, and Tesla has a history of exceeding those targets.  Elon isn't a sales person, he prefers to undersell rather than promise something that won't be delivered. 

That car is still too ugly for me. If you are going to go grilless then don't leave a strange space for it that looks like Neo's melted over mouth in the Matrix

Can't argue that, some will love the styling, some will hate it, but that is true for any car.  My wife thinks the Mercedes 300SL is ugly, so there is no accounting for taste.

The issue is not how often you have to stop to fill them up but if you can find a place to fill them up. Get off the interstate for scenic drive and you are f'ed, Where do you charge your car if are a city dweller and don't have a garage or park on the street? Can our antique electric grid that falls over every summer in some places from the use of AC can take an additional few million cars to charge?

It's not limited to Supercharging, though the supercharging network is pervasive and expected to double in numbers by rollout time. Beyond that there are plenty of destination chargers, and J1776 charging is everywhere, including in my driveway.

No Sales tax and the incentive means my cost would be $27500.  Seems reasonably priced to me, but again that is subjective.  Your opinion is just as valid. 

For now they are at best a middle class suburban second car for work commutes. And that is if you don't care about all the privacy "nonsense".

I hope you like yours when you get it, for me they still have a lot further to go.

I don't think they have any plan on stopping, but man they sure have come a long way in a short time.  Once you feel that instant torque, it's hard to go back.

• Like 1

You say Probably, because it is obvious you are biased against the vehicle, and that's ok, but the vehicle has more interior room than anything in it's class, so it's strange to me that you would make such a statement, especially since you know nothing about the volume of the spaces.

I'm pretty darn sure looking at the size of the car that it won't fit my rifle cases in either trunk, or be able to fit my 3gun gear and steel targets. I have a very good idea of how much space I need and how much space cars offer. For someone else, sure maybe it works, for me it does not, unless they broke the laws of physics somehow.

Really, in a sedan?  And what is it's 0-60 time, since only a minimum target has been established, and Tesla has a history of exceeding those targets.  Elon isn't a sales person, he prefers to undersell rather than promise something that won't be delivered. 

Sure, in a sedan. WRX comes to mind first, and it is AWD to boot. Also a ton of hatchbacks. Hell, some Honda Accords specs will go that fast for less money.

It's not limited to Supercharging, though the supercharging network is pervasive and expected to double in numbers by rollout time. Beyond that there are plenty of destination chargers, and J1776 charging is everywhere, including in my driveway.

Again, the problem isn't your driverway or the interstates, it is the cities and the backroads. What happens if they go broke and no longer maintain their superchargers? What happens when a hurricane hits?

No Sales tax and the incentive means my cost would be $27500.  Seems reasonably priced to me, but again that is subjective.  Your opinion is just as valid. 

Sadly no. the incentives run out after Tesla sells 200k total, including S's and X's, so you have no idea where that number will be in 2 years from now. Also there are 130 people who have signed up, but none of them have a clue if they are before or after the cut off line, because Tesla doesn't even know.

Vlad you've clearly made up your mind. I'm not wasting my keyboard strokes to convert you. Because frankly, I don't give a damn.

I started this thread out of curiosity if anyone else had reserved one. Looks like at least 1 other person.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I give Tesla a lot of credit for their perseverance to design, create and manufacture a cutting edge electric powered vehicle, which is making all of the other automobile manufacturers scramble to try to emulate Tesla's products.

The reason I have not purchased one and do not plan to for the next several years is the current limitation on the battery technology and the resulting distance these vehicles can travel on one charge.  I enjoy driving rather aggressively and enjoy the old school sound of either a naturally aspirated or twin turbocharged internal combustion engine as I accelerate through the gears.  For the foreseeable future, I am going to stick with Mercedes-Benz and BMW offerings, and dealing with the regular servicing and repair headaches that all of these vehicles require and produce.

To be objective, it is quite possible that within the next 10 years I just may be persuaded to get a Tesla vehicle that has improved driving range.
Or I may be too old to drive on roads and will be relegated to a souped-up / hot rod electric golf cart, terrorizing the other seniors in our neighborhood.

Who knows....?

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

Agreed - I can't get over that front end - no grille...  

Ce7nPW6WsAIPVc-.jpg

It just reminds me of a catfish or a Carp

hemibagrus_wyckii13.jpg

Grass-Carp-head.jpg

Vlad you've clearly made up your mind. I'm not wasting my keyboard strokes to convert you. Because frankly, I don't give a damn.

I started this thread out of curiosity if anyone else had reserved one. Looks like at least 1 other person.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Yep, some people just have a bug up their ass about things.  What if a hurricane hits?  That is your reason for not buying a car? WTF! 

I dunno, I recall being without power during Sandy for 7 days or so.

Still don't see how this is relevant?  Are you saying you can't get fuel because the power is out?  How is that going to work when you show up to the gas station when they can't run their pumps?  And hows this for a mind blower, there are systems that will use the power stored in car to run your house.  Or, if you are so inclined with a natural gas powered generator for the home, you could also power your car back up. Neither of those are options with an internal combustion powered car.  So, you can see why those objections don't really make sense, and just betray a possibly subconscious bias against electric cars.  Let me ask you this, have you driven a Tesla?

I love my obama gen 4 prius model Great gas mileage 28 hwy. 18 city. Cant go wrong. Poops out cell phones for the underprivileged. Awesome.

my 2012 mustang gt 412hp 5.0 gets 26-28mpg on the highway at 75mph. plus it's fun to drive. :)

Still don't see how this is relevant? Are you saying you can't get fuel because the power is out? How is that going to work when you show up to the gas station when they can't run their pumps? And hows this for a mind blower, there are systems that will use the power stored in car to run your house. Or, if you are so inclined with a natural gas powered generator for the home, you could also power your car back up. Neither of those are options with an internal combustion powered car. So, you can see why those objections don't really make sense, and just betray a possibly subconscious bias against electric cars. Let me ask you this, have you driven a Tesla?

I can store all sorts of volume of gasoline before a storm. I know this cause I kept a few houses running with my generator and ran around pumping out friends basements for days.

I fear you don't understand what you are giving up so you can have the latest gadget but hey, it's is your money, spend it any way you want.

I fail to see why you have such a huge emotional attachment to item you haven't even bought yet. I tried to explain to you my choices and you seem so angry that I don't like yours that you would think I told you I have a damn how you spent your money.

That's just weird.

I can store all sorts of volume of gasoline before a storm. I know this cause I kept a few houses running with my generator and ran around pumping out friends basements for days.

I fear you don't understand what you are giving up so you can have the latest gadget but hey, it's is your money, spend it any way you want.

I fail to see why you have such a huge emotional attachment to item you haven't even bought yet. I tried to explain to you my choices and you seem so angry that I don't like yours that you would think I told you I have a damn how you spent your money.

That's just weird.

It's so cute when people try to paint someone who disagrees with them as "angry".

I don't care what you drive, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of your argument. I'm not giving up anything either. It's strange that you think I'd put $1000 down and many more in the future to "give up" something. You still haven't explained how an electric vehicle is a liability in a hurricane compared to a gasoline vehicle, and keep in mind you made that point in reference to public charging points.

I am looking forward to this vehicle because it suits my needs better than anything else near its price point. If it doesn't work for you, fine, just say that and move on, instead of the continuing the ridiculous points you're making. It shows you are the one emotionally attached, trying to convince people not to buy it because you don't like it. Not sure what would compel you to make that effort.