lhrocker

Re-using references for pistol permits

Can you use the same references on new P2P applications that you used on your original FID/P2P application?  Will they contact them again and have them fill out the paperwork again?  Or do I need a new set of reference everytime I want a new set of P2P's?

I always use the same ones.  They've never been contacted, either.

You'd think skipping steps would make the permitting process move faster, but it doesn't.

I always use the same two guys also. They have never been contacted ever. When I first got my FID the officer flat out said that I don't look like a criminal and he was not going to contact my references.

I use same reference too, also lucky that HR Director at work is a reference so can do employment verification at same time :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Employment verification? Guess I'm lucky to have never lived in a town that does extra steps.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Employment verification? Guess I'm lucky to have never lived in a town that does extra steps.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Yeah I didn't question the extra step as not a problem for me and I didn't want to have a battle or issue over it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use the same ones, although I am thinking of changing them.  Since I have been doing this so long and they know me I am thinking of using the police Chief and the clerk who files the forms :)

• Like 2

Lol howard. One of my references is a cop and one is a detective at the sheriff office but that dose not get my permits through any faster unfortunately. Not that I have much to complain about its always under 30 days

Prior to retiring from my PD, we were required to use our immediate supervisor and the Chief of Police as our references.

Why would NJ still use this antiquated system which has no impact on getting PPPs? :dontknow:

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

I always use the same two guys also. They have never been contacted ever. When I first got my FID the officer flat out said that I don't look like a criminal and he was not going to contact my references.

I've had the same experience with references.  

But I've seen you, and I would have to question your officer's judgement.   ;)

Prior to retiring from my PD, we were required to use our immediate supervisor and the Chief of Police as our references.

Why would NJ still use this antiquated system which has no impact on getting PPPs? :dontknow:

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

This is a very good point, as it works out the references I use also use me as their references so it is kind of pointless.

You should have flashed your badge, Ace. I hope you kept it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lol that was way before I was an ACO. When I left the job they took the badge back so no more ace ventura for me

So with the extra step employment verification......does that mean if a person is laid off or injured or something & not working they could be denied ? Or is it just to verify you work where you say you do ?

No denial for the unemployed or self employed.  Just verifying what you wrote on the form.

I recall some people here happy that they were between jobs so there was no verification request going out.

btw: If the PD requests anything more than a verification of employment, they are breaking the law. 

Aside from the fact that there should be no application required at all... that employment question should be removed.

• Like 1

Crap...What if you actually look like a criminal?....say 6'3, 265 lbS,  shaved head, facial hair, full sleeves of tattoos?....wait...that's me...I look like a criminal.....damn.  Well at least I never had a problem with my local PD.. they are actually awesome.  And they contact my two (same) references every time.

I provide the same answers to the same questions every time.

Being on the receiving end, Ive been contacted by mail and not at all.  Mail has ranged from a yes/no check box form, to in your own words ...

Seems every PD has their own way of doing things.